Pages:
Author

Topic: I need Help finding or recovering bitcoins off an old hard drive - page 4. (Read 2389 times)

Activity: 180
Merit: 38
This depends if that csv file was made in electrum somewhere in the past, you better not trash it because it will contain all of your private key's.
Did you read the quote in my post? Huh

when I clicked export transactions from bitcoin core it created a .csv file.
It's NOT a .csv from Electrum... it's a .csv exported from Bitcoin Core... it's pretty much useless as far as wallet/coin recovery is concerned.

So r u saying that if I download Electrum it would be easier to open these files created by PYwallet (Jack Jack)?
No. Pywallet creates wallet.dat's in the BerkeleyDB format that Bitcoin Core uses. These files are NOT compatible with Electrum. Electrum uses an entirely different wallet file format (JSON text with optional encryption).

I know from experience that when dealing with older data, you can never assume anything, you have to do analysis without making any assumptions.
Many people told me yes they made it in this or that application and when i scanned the drives it turned out it was a completely different story and in some cases even a different coin or a completely different password not containing even one word they was sure it contained.

The right approach is to analyze everything, regardless of what the customer claims.

HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4314
This depends if that csv file was made in electrum somewhere in the past, you better not trash it because it will contain all of your private key's.
Did you read the quote in my post? Huh

when I clicked export transactions from bitcoin core it created a .csv file.
It's NOT a .csv from Electrum... it's a .csv exported from Bitcoin Core... it's pretty much useless as far as wallet/coin recovery is concerned.

So r u saying that if I download Electrum it would be easier to open these files created by PYwallet (Jack Jack)?
No. Pywallet creates wallet.dat's in the BerkeleyDB format that Bitcoin Core uses. These files are NOT compatible with Electrum. Electrum uses an entirely different wallet file format (JSON text with optional encryption).
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481
is it a simple copy and paste or drag and drop?
 or do I have to know coding, programming, or how to use CMD?

Please check HCP's post:
A ".csv" file is simply text file in "comma separate values" format... You should be able to open it in any text editor to review the contents. [...]

And especially this:

Even if you could import it back into Bitcoin Core (note: you can't), it wouldn't be much of much use in attempting to recover any funds... it's simply a list of transaction data (ie. transactionIDs and amounts etc)... it won't contain any private keys or anything like that.

You need your private keys to spend any coins.
The transaction data simply does not contain this information. And it won't help you "recovering" it. Unfortunately it won't help you recovering any funds at all.
Activity: 77
Merit: 11
is it a simple copy and paste or drag and drop?
 or do I have to know coding, programming, or how to use CMD?
Activity: 180
Merit: 38
it wouldn't be much of much use in attempting to recover any funds... it's simply a list of transaction data (ie. transactionIDs and amounts etc)... it won't contain any private keys or anything like that.

Also you can import them in Electrum.
So if unsure about old data and the way it was generated, it's always better to keep all options open.
HCP
legendary
So if I got to scan quite a few hard drives, and ended up with a few partial recovered wallets, or potential wallets how can I open them??
I don't know what program to use to open the wallets/ partial recovered wallets......)
I downloaded the whole blockchain on a fresh PC and wondering if I can open them or plug them into the block chain to see if they are viable!!
If you have recovered "wallet.dat" files... just open them with a fully sync Bitcoin Core... You can either shutdown Bitcoin Core, switch "wallet.dat" in datadir, restart Bitcoin Core... or you can shutdown Bitcoin Core and start it from the commandline specifying which wallet file to read using the -wallet option:

when I clicked export transactions from bitcoin core it created a .csv file. how can i read its content and can i reverse it ( import to the wallet/ bitcoin core) from a potential previously created wallet?
A ".csv" file is simply text file in "comma separate values" format... You should be able to open it in any text editor to review the contents. Also, any spreadsheet app like Excel should be able to open it as well (and possibly make it slightly easier to read)

Even if you could import it back into Bitcoin Core (note: you can't), it wouldn't be much of much use in attempting to recover any funds... it's simply a list of transaction data (ie. transactionIDs and amounts etc)... it won't contain any private keys or anything like that.
I did that, and It’s asking me to enter the passphrase for the wallet that will contain all the recovered keys, so do I make it up, generate it through a website, Or just ignore it/ bypass it for now??

You can either try to leave it blank or set it to something that you will remember (there is no need to use an external website for that). If I were you, I would set the passphrase just to be sure it worked fine. You will need it to open the wallet if the recovery turns out to be successful.

So if I got to scan quite a few hard drives, and ended up with a few partial recovered wallets, or potential wallets how can I open them??
I don't know what program to use to open the wallets/ partial recovered wallets......)
I downloaded the whole blockchain on a fresh PC and wondering if I can open them or plug them into the block chain to see if they are viable!!

when I clicked export transactions from bitcoin core it created a .csv file. how can i read its content and can i reverse it ( import to the wallet/ bitcoin core) from a potential previously created wallet?
OP: is 1HT7xU2Ngenf7D4yocz2SAcnNLW7rK8d4E your address? It was first funded in 2011, but it's also had some substantial amounts sent to it more recently (nearly $15k USD last year), which doesn't really fit your story.

Any luck recovering the funds yet?
No, no luck!!
no wallets no keys :-(
Have to scan a couple of flash drives ( one is totally dead) then read every shred of paper in my place just in case if I have any hints written/ printed. that address u mentioned Looks like it's every ones ghost address: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ghost-address-1ht7xu2ngenf7d4yocz2sacnnlw7rk8d4e-appeared-in-my-walletdat-1225430

someone said I should still scan the empty potential wallets ( 2 potential wallets found with 0 keys) not sure how good of advice this is?(maybe the program missed a key) I don't quite get it, no keys is no money/ coins right?? so why bother scan against the block chain??

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1092
OP: is 1HT7xU2Ngenf7D4yocz2SAcnNLW7rK8d4E your address? It was first funded in 2011, but it's also had some substantial amounts sent to it more recently (nearly $15k USD last year), which doesn't really fit your story.

Any luck recovering the funds yet?
About four years ago, I bought my friend some donuts. He downloaded the bitcoin wallet app on my amazon blu phone and gave me $10 worth of bitcoin instead of cash. Since then I have switched over to an iphone, and completely forgot about my bitcoin account until recently. Is there a way to recover my bitcoin account? I know nothing about anything.

Do you have the wallet file saved with yourself anywhere?
Do you have the phrase / seed saved with you? Which wallet was that exactly? Did he put any password to protect the wallet? If yes, do you know it?

And there's nothing such a Bitcoin account, but Bitcoin wallets and addresses.
Hello There,

to avoid confusion, would you please start your own thread discussing your potential lost wallet circumstances!

Thank you and good luck.
Activity: 374
Merit: 53
Telegram @keychainX
About four years ago, I bought my friend some donuts. He downloaded the bitcoin wallet app on my amazon blu phone and gave me $10 worth of bitcoin instead of cash. Since then I have switched over to an iphone, and completely forgot about my bitcoin account until recently. Is there a way to recover my bitcoin account? I know nothing about anything.

If you still have your phone, then yes you can.

/KX
legendary
Activity: 3052
Merit: 1273

Do you have the wallet file saved with yourself anywhere?
Do you have the phrase / seed saved with you? Which wallet was that exactly? Did he put any password to protect the wallet? If yes, do you know it?

And there's nothing such a Bitcoin account, but Bitcoin wallets and addresses.
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
OOOOOk,
Good news and Bad news!!

the good is that I think I figured out how to make it work ( hope it's properly working)

was the wrong (PY wallet) directory, supposed to be pywallet-master not pywallet-master-win files!

tried it on a flash drive:
C:\Users\Hoss\Documents\pywallet-master>python pywallet.py --recover --recov_size=32.0Gio --recov_device E: --recov_outputdir C:\Users\Hoss\Desktop\found_wallet
Enter the passphrase for the wallet that will contain all the recovered keys: *********
Enter the possible passphrases used in your deleted wallets.
Don't forget that more passphrases = more time to test the possibilities.
Write one passphrase per line and end with an empty line.
Possible passphrase:

Starting recovery.
0.10 Go read
0.20 Go read
0.30 Go read
0.40 Go read
0.50 G

31.00 Go read

Read 31.0 Go in 14.0 minutes

Found 0 possible wallets
Found 0 possible encrypted keys
Found 0 possible unencrypted keys
The wallet is encrypted and the passphrase is correct

Importing:

The new wallet C:\Users\Hoss\Desktop\found_wallet/recovered_wallet_1******.dat contains the 0 recovered key

C:\Users\Hoss\Documents\pywallet-master>

**Although I specified only 465 GB it went through all the drive 500GB**

C:\Users\Hoss\Documents\pywallet-master>python pywallet.py --recover --recov_size=465.0Gio --recov_device C: --recov_outputdir C:\Users\Hoss\Desktop\found_wallet
Enter the passphrase for the wallet that will contain all the recovered keys: *********
Possible passphrase:

Starting recovery.
0.10 Go read
0.20 Go read
0.30 Go read
0.40 Go read
0.50 Go read

498.80 Go read
498.90 Go read
499.00 Go read
499.10 Go read
499.20 Go read

Read 499.3 Go in 165.4 minutes

Found 2 possible wallets

Importing:

The new wallet C:\Users\Hoss\Desktop\found_wallet/recovered_wallet_1******.dat contains the 0 recovered key

C:\Users\Hoss\Documents\pywallet-master>python pywallet.py --recover --recov_size=465.0Gio --recov_device E: --recov_outputdir C:\Users\Hoss\Desktop\found_wallet
Enter the passphrase for the wallet that will contain all the recovered keys: *****

Possible passphrase:

Starting recovery.
0.10 Go read
0.20 Go read
0.30 Go read
0.40 Go read

399.30 Go read
399.40 Go read
399.50 Go read
399.60 Go read
399.70 Go read
399.80 Go read
399.90 Go read
400.00 Go read

Read 400.1 Go in 445.7 minutes

Found 0 possible wallets

Importing:

The Bad news is the mother of old backups found nothing!!!

will try my other hard drives later, and cancel my Lexus order for now!!! Cry Cry Cry Cry

It is probably more likely due to Windows 10 locking down the root directory of C: in an attempt to prevent viruses/malware from doing "bad things"™ to the system drive... and/or accessing privileged information (ie. other users data/info etc).

Where you running as Administrator? Huh If not, then try that. Also, I'd recommend not trying to scan your C: unless you have a really good reason to. Try scanning a small USB thumb drive first.

so do all paths and directories looks good?

Yes, I do run it as an admin and as a user, I found a video to switch permissions for local disk to full control will try it!
I try to scan C and a flash drive as well  ( just want to test/ properly run the program to apply it to an external drive later)
Do u recommend me to keep tweaking the current till it hopefully works,  restarting a fresh install on another fresh windows 10 or  downgrading to windows 7 and reinstalling everything??
Thank you,
HCP
legendary
It is probably more likely due to Windows 10 locking down the root directory of C: in an attempt to prevent viruses/malware from doing "bad things"™ to the system drive... and/or accessing privileged information (ie. other users data/info etc).

Where you running as Administrator? Huh If not, then try that. Also, I'd recommend not trying to scan your C: unless you have a really good reason to. Try scanning a small USB thumb drive first.
so in the script it's self:   https://github.com/jackjack-jj/pywallet/blob/master/pywallet.py
line 4851:

4850       if len(device) in [2,3] and device[1]==':':
4851          device="\\\\.\\"+device

is this normal? are the \\\\.\\ out of place and confusing the program???
Yeah... it's just the stupid complicated thing you need to do when "escaping" special characters in programming languages! Roll Eyes You can ignore all this "gobbledy gook"... it's correct.

here are the commands: ( PS** the passphrase is made up, wont be used ever after this operation)
Enter the passphrase for the wallet that will contain all the recovered keys: push costa surge wrote soil hospital derived migrate vacation arts fremont analyzed
NOTE: It appears you are confusing a wallet encryption password (aka the "passphrase" that pywallet is prompting you to enter)... for a 12 word mnemonic recovery phrase. Bitcoin Core has never used 12 word mnemonic phrases. What pywallet is asking you for when it says "Enter the passphrase for the wallet that will contain all the recovered keys" is simply a "password" that will be used to encrypt the wallet.dat file that it is going to create... this can be anything you like, like abc123 or password123 etc... but you need to be able to remember it, because if pywallet is successful in finding private keys... then to use the wallet.dat within Bitcoin Core to recover your coins (or to extract the private keys from it) you will need the password! Wink

Anyway... onto the root cause of your current issue...
C:\Users\Hoss>pywallet.py --recover --recov_device C:\ --recov_size=465.0Gio --recov_outputdir C:\Users\Hoss\Desktop\found wallet
Enter the passphrase for the wallet that will contain all the recovered keys: push costa surge wrote soil hospital derived migrate vacation arts fremont analyzed

Possible passphrase:

Starting recovery.
Can't open \\.\C:\, check the path or try as root
  Error: (2, 'No such file or directory')

I apologise, I think I originally set you wrong with the device naming... DO NOT use the "\" char... so when you specify --recov_device, it should simply be C: or D: or X: or whatever

If you include the \ character, then the script will get confused and give you the "Can't open C:\, check the path or try as root" type error. Sorry!

Anyway, based on what you have so your command should be:
Code:
C:\Users\Hoss\Documents\pywallet-win-files-master>pywallet.py --recover --recov_device C: --recov_size=465Gio --recov_outputdir C:\Users\Hoss\Desktop\found_wallet

NOTE: I would recommend that you don't use spaces in directory names... that could cause unexpected results. Also, you need to make sure that the output directory that you specify exists BEFORE you run the pywallet scan... otherwise it will fail at the end with an error like this:

You are right, when It said passphrase I assumed it's the 12 words, my bad!

I changed the Potential recovery folder name to avoid conflict ( no space now)

Changed the directory and commands with the following similar results: ( it now said permission denied instead of Error: (2, 'No such file or directory) now it's Can't open C:, check the path or try as root
  Error: (13, 'Permission denied')

Then displayed the Path and directory to see where the conflict may be coming from ( probably user error wrong download or install......).

C:\Users\Hoss\Documents\pywallet-win-files-master>pywallet.py --recover --recov_device C: --recov_size=465.0Gio --recov_outputdir C:\Users\Hoss\Desktop\found_wallet
Enter the passphrase for the wallet that will contain all the recovered keys: 123

Possible passphrase:

Starting recovery.
Can't open C:, check the path or try as root

C:\Users\Hoss\Documents\pywallet-win-files-master>path
PATH=C:\Python27\;C:\Python27\Scripts;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\WINDOWS\System32\OpenSSH\;C:\Program Files\nodejs\;C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\bin;;C:\Program Files (x86)\AOMEI Backupper;C:\Users\Hoss\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Users\Hoss\AppData\Roaming\npm;C:\Users\Hoss\AppData\Local\Programs\Microsoft VS Code\bin

C:\Users\Hoss\Documents\pywallet-win-files-master>dir
 Volume in drive C has no label.
 Volume Serial Number is D6FD-F2FA

Directory of C:\Users\Hoss\Documents\pywallet-win-files-master

08/23/2019  01:23 PM              .
08/23/2019  01:23 PM              ..
08/12/2019  05:23 PM             1,943 install.bat
08/21/2019  12:51 PM                 0 python
08/12/2019  05:23 PM                32 pywallet.bat
08/23/2019  10:32 AM           345,085 pywallet.py
08/23/2019  01:26 PM                 0 wallet.txt
               5 File(s)        347,060 bytes
               2 Dir(s)  454,830,444,544 bytes free

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.950]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Hoss>path
PATH=C:\Python27\;C:\Python27\Scripts;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\WINDOWS\System32\OpenSSH\;C:\Program Files\nodejs\;C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\bin;;C:\Program Files (x86)\AOMEI Backupper;C:\Users\Hoss\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Users\Hoss\AppData\Roaming\npm;C:\Users\Hoss\AppData\Local\Programs\Microsoft VS Code\bin

C:\Users\Hoss>dir
 Volume in drive C has no label.
 Volume Serial Number is D6FD-F2FA

Directory of C:\Users\Hoss

08/23/2019  12:21 PM              .
08/23/2019  12:21 PM              ..
07/08/2019  07:56 AM              .config
08/05/2019  02:38 PM              .idlerc
07/29/2019  11:59 AM               810 .node_repl_history
08/23/2019  10:32 AM              .pylint.d
07/08/2019  07:53 AM              .vscode
07/29/2019  01:23 PM                 0 1
07/31/2019  11:52 AM                83 2.14.2
08/14/2019  05:32 PM              3D Objects
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            39,064 arrow-0.14.4-py2.py3-none-any.whl
08/12/2019  05:47 PM            39,081 arrow-0.14.5-py2.py3-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM             5,885 atomicwrites-1.3.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            35,784 attrs-19.1.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM             7,007 backports.functools_lru_cache-1.5-py2.py3-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM             3,072 base58-1.0.3-py2-none-any.whl
08/01/2019  08:50 AM           157,119 certifi-2019.6.16-py2.py3-none-any.whl
08/01/2019  08:50 AM           133,356 chardet-3.0.4-py2.py3-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            71,011 click-6.6-py2.py3-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            15,471 colorama-0.4.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            22,494 configparser-3.7.4-py2.py3-none-any.whl
08/12/2019  05:47 PM            22,879 configparser-3.8.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl
08/14/2019  05:32 PM              Contacts
07/31/2019  11:37 AM             8,134 contextlib2-0.5.5-py2.py3-none-any.whl
08/08/2019  03:18 PM            16,518 dependencies-0.15-py2-none-any.whl
08/24/2019  09:40 PM              Desktop
08/14/2019  08:33 AM             2,386 dir
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            41,001 docker_py-1.8.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
08/23/2019  11:26 AM              Documents
08/24/2019  10:05 PM              Downloads
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            59,060 ecdsa-0.13.2-py2.py3-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            11,100 entrypoints-0.3-py2.py3-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            12,427 enum34-1.1.6-py2-none-any.whl
08/14/2019  05:32 PM              Favorites
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            70,112 flake8-3.7.8-py2.py3-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            17,697 funcsigs-1.0.2-py2.py3-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            31,171 functools32-3.2.3-2.tar.gz
08/07/2019  08:07 AM            14,569 functools32-3.2.3.post2-cp27-none-any.whl
08/07/2019  08:07 AM           500,272 future-0.17.1-cp27-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM           829,119 future-0.17.1.tar.gz
08/07/2019  09:47 AM            42,313 hashlib-20081119.zip
08/01/2019  08:50 AM            58,594 idna-2.8-py2.py3-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            26,442 importlib_metadata-0.19-py2.py3-none-any.whl
08/12/2019  04:10 PM             1,943 install.bat
08/07/2019  08:07 AM             8,130 jsonrpcclient-2.0.1-cp27-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM             6,427 jsonrpcclient-2.0.1.tar.gz
08/07/2019  08:07 AM            11,632 jsonrpcserver-3.1.1-cp27-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM             9,546 jsonrpcserver-3.1.1.tar.gz
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            54,363 jsonschema-3.0.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl
08/02/2019  12:43 PM            54,691 jsonschema-3.0.2-py2.py3-none-any.whl
08/14/2019  05:32 PM              Links
07/31/2019  11:37 AM             8,556 mccabe-0.6.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl
08/07/2019  08:07 AM            21,660 mnemonic-0.13-cp27-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            21,683 mnemonic-0.13.tar.gz
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            52,303 more_itertools-5.0.0-py2-none-any.whl
08/14/2019  05:32 PM              Music
08/07/2019  06:15 AM              OneDrive
08/08/2019  05:40 PM            13,575 package-0.1.1.tar.gz
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            30,126 packaging-19.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            19,439 path.py-11.5.2-py2.py3-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            18,182 pathlib2-2.3.4-py2.py3-none-any.whl
08/07/2019  08:07 AM             5,118 pbkdf2-1.3-cp27-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM             6,360 pbkdf2-1.3.tar.gz
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            58,436 pexpect-4.7.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
08/14/2019  05:32 PM              Pictures
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            17,926 pluggy-0.12.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
08/07/2019  08:07 AM           114,484 protobuf-3.0.0a3-cp27-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            88,399 protobuf-3.0.0a3.tar.gz
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            39,728 ptyprocess-0.6.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            83,743 py-1.8.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            17,880 py2-ipaddress-3.4.1.tar.gz
08/07/2019  08:07 AM            17,056 py2_ipaddress-3.4.1-cp27-none-any.whl
08/07/2019  08:07 AM            26,366 pyaes-1.6.1-cp27-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            28,536 pyaes-1.6.1.tar.gz
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            51,191 pycodestyle-2.5.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM         9,969,666 pycryptodome-3.8.2-cp27-cp27m-win_amd64.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            59,991 pyflakes-2.1.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl
08/05/2019  09:27 AM            38,175 pyPA-1.0rc.tar.gz
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            65,453 pyparsing-2.4.2-py2.py3-none-any.whl
08/07/2019  08:07 AM            56,494 pyrsistent-0.15.4-cp27-cp27m-win_amd64.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM           107,237 pyrsistent-0.15.4.tar.gz
07/31/2019  11:37 AM           229,590 pytest-4.6.4-py2.py3-none-any.whl
08/07/2019  08:07 AM           230,082 pytest-4.6.5-py2.py3-none-any.whl
08/22/2019  12:25 PM                 0 python
07/31/2019  11:37 AM           226,803 python_dateutil-2.8.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
08/07/2019  08:07 AM            32,615 pywallet-0.1.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            32,391 pywallet-0.1.0.tar.gz
08/12/2019  04:10 PM                32 pywallet.bat
08/24/2019  10:13 PM                 0 pywallet.py
07/31/2019  11:37 AM           210,192 PyYAML-5.1.2-cp27-cp27m-win_amd64.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM           514,827 requests-2.11.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl
08/01/2019  08:50 AM            57,952 requests-2.22.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
08/14/2019  05:32 PM              Saved Games
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            20,919 scandir-1.10.0-cp27-cp27m-win_amd64.whl
08/14/2019  05:32 PM              Searches
07/31/2019  11:37 AM           575,966 setuptools-41.0.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl
08/05/2019  08:21 AM              setuptools.egg-info
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            30,119 sha256-0.1.tar.gz
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            10,586 six-1.12.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
08/07/2019  10:01 AM             8,604 somepackage-1.2.3.tar.gz
08/07/2019  05:59 PM              src
07/16/2019  10:04 AM                 0 Sti_Trace.log
08/07/2019  08:07 AM            23,488 tabulate-0.8.3-cp27-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            46,234 tabulate-0.8.3.tar.gz
08/07/2019  08:07 AM           279,935 two1-3.10.9-cp27-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM           226,667 two1-3.10.9.tar.gz
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            26,171 typing-3.7.4-py2-none-any.whl
08/12/2019  04:10 PM               780 update.bat
08/01/2019  08:50 AM           150,942 urllib3-1.25.3-py2.py3-none-any.whl
08/14/2019  05:32 PM              Videos
07/31/2019  11:37 AM            21,014 wcwidth-0.1.7-py2.py3-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM           200,573 websocket_client-0.56.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
07/31/2019  11:37 AM             3,824 zipp-0.5.2-py2.py3-none-any.whl
08/07/2019  12:48 PM           213,891 zope.interface-3.7.0-py2.7-win-amd64.egg
              93 File(s)     16,852,723 bytes
              21 Dir(s)  454,830,092,288 bytes free

C:\Users\Hoss>

hope this have enough info to resolve the problem,
Thank you so very much.

HCP
legendary
so in the script it's self:   https://github.com/jackjack-jj/pywallet/blob/master/pywallet.py
line 4851:

Yeah... it's just the stupid complicated thing you need to do when "escaping" special characters in programming languages! Roll Eyes You can ignore all this "gobbledy gook"... it's correct.

here are the commands: ( PS** the passphrase is made up, wont be used ever after this operation)
NOTE: It appears you are confusing a wallet encryption password (aka the "passphrase" that pywallet is prompting you to enter)... for a 12 word mnemonic recovery phrase. Bitcoin Core has never used 12 word mnemonic phrases. What pywallet is asking you for when it says "Enter the passphrase for the wallet that will contain all the recovered keys" is simply a "password" that will be used to encrypt the wallet.dat file that it is going to create... this can be anything you like, like abc123 or password123 etc... but you need to be able to remember it, because if pywallet is successful in finding private keys... then to use the wallet.dat within Bitcoin Core to recover your coins (or to extract the private keys from it) you will need the password! Wink

Anyway... onto the root cause of your current issue...
C:\Users\Hoss>pywallet.py --recover --recov_device C:\ --recov_size=465.0Gio --recov_outputdir C:\Users\Hoss\Desktop\found wallet

Possible passphrase:

Starting recovery.

I apologise, I think I originally set you wrong with the device naming... DO NOT use the "\" char... so when you specify --recov_device, it should simply be C: or D: or X: or whatever

If you include the \ character, then the script will get confused and give you the "Can't open C:\, check the path or try as root" type error. Sorry!

Anyway, based on what you have so your command should be:
Code:
C:\Users\Hoss\Documents\pywallet-win-files-master>pywallet.py --recover --recov_device C: --recov_size=465Gio --recov_outputdir C:\Users\Hoss\Desktop\found_wallet

NOTE: I would recommend that you don't use spaces in directory names... that could cause unexpected results. Also, you need to make sure that the output directory that you specify exists BEFORE you run the pywallet scan... otherwise it will fail at the end with an error like this:

so in the script it's self:   https://github.com/jackjack-jj/pywallet/blob/master/pywallet.py
line 4851:

I have another copy of pywallet and the same command is on line 4778

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.950]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Possible passphrase:

Starting recovery.

C:\Users\Hoss>pywallet.py --recover --recov_device D:\ --recov_size=32.0Gio --recov_outputdir C:\Users\Hoss\Desktop\found wallet

Possible passphrase:

Starting recovery.
Can't open \\.\D:\, check the path or try as root

when I change the directory as advised earlier same error but with only one proper (\) :

C:\Users\Hoss>cd C:\hoss\documents\pywallet-win-files-master
The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\Users\Hoss> cd C:\users\hoss\documents\pywallet-win-files-master

C:\Users\Hoss\Documents\pywallet-win-files-master>pywallet.py --recover --recov_device D:\ --recov_size=32.0Gio --recov_outputdir C:\Users\Hoss\Desktop\found wallet

Possible passphrase:

Starting recovery.
Can't open D:\, check the path or try as root

C:\Users\Hoss\Documents\pywallet-win-files-master>pywallet.py --recover --recov_device C:\ --recov_size=465.0Gio --recov_outputdir C:\Users\Hoss\Desktop\found wallet

Possible passphrase:

Starting recovery.
Can't open C:\, check the path or try as root

C:\Users\Hoss\Documents\pywallet-win-files-master>
Activity: 3
Merit: 0
Could you post the actual command you are trying to use?

If i remember rightly you have to use unix style paths so '/'s instead of '\', even when using it in windows. So both --recov_device and --recov_outputdir would need to be '/'s not '\'s.

C:\Users\Hoss\Documents\pywallet-win-files-master>python pywallet.py --recover --recov_size=XXX.XGio --recov_device X:/ --recov_outputdir X:/Where/to/put/found/stuff
Pages:
Jump to: