Pages:
Author

Topic: If 98% of the atoms in our body are replaced in just 1 year, what are we? - page 3. (Read 5713 times)

legendary
Activity: 1455
Merit: 1033
Nothing like healthy scepticism and hard evidence
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038
what are we?

I may be able to answer this thanks to my researches into The Mandela Effect and so-called Glitches in the Matrix.

You see, when a TME changes something like Steven Segal's last name changing to Seagal the changes are retroactive; once the change occurs all instances of Segal in this case are changed, even old photographs etc. There are however a few things that can't be changed because they exist in a state of superposition outside of the universe; one of those things is human memory. If you search you can still find autographs signed "Segal". This is known as "TME residue"; because it's done from memory and artistic in nature there's no entanglement to the name and it remains unchanged.

My conclusion: the Bible is right yet again, we are an eternal soul.
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 7912
"What am I?" is a wrong question. The right question is "What am I not?".

If we were defined by what we are not, the possibilities would be infinte.  It is easier to define what we are.

What if we're infinite?

You are blowing my mind.

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

If we were defined by what we are not, the possibilities would be infinte.  It is easier to define what we are.

What if we're infinite?
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019
A river.

δὶς ἐς τὸν αὐτὸν ποταμὸν οὐκ ἂν ἐμβαίης
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1285
Flying Hellfish is a Commie
Our souls, memories, and thiughts are still the same
legendary
An artificial intelligent assistant teacher gave support to about 300 students of an AI course for weeks on the course forum without any of them being able to figure out that "she" wasn't human.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/05/160509101930.htm

"She" was based on the IBM's Watson platform (yes, the one that won Jeopardy):

http://www.ibm.com/smarterplanet/us/en/ibmwatson/what-is-watson.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watson_(computer)

We are not talking about basic low paid jobs. These A.I.'s are going to be serious competition to many people.

Of course, they are still way far from us or for being able to help us understanding our own brains.
legendary
The first generation of stars were rather the corps that fertilized life. The heavy elements that they created, that are necessary to form planets and our bodies, only were expelled to space with their destruction.

It's like having the heart of someone and calling him daddy.

Forget Jesus, it was the stars that had to die for us to live (Lawrence Krauss).

Anyway, saying romantically that we are made of "star dust", like if that was something special, forgets that the most banal stone is also "star dust".
legendary

I didn't say "we were defined by what we are not", I just said that trying to define what we are leads nowhere.
It's wiser to analyze and find out what we are not. And the possibilities are not infinite, they are just bodily and mental phenomena.

Yes I know!  That's how a discussion works.  I quoted you and then I said something in reply to what you said.  Clearly, you didn't say what I said; I said what I said.  I didn't say what you said; you said what you said! I am me.  I am not you.  <-- see what I did there?

"What am I?" is the right question.  "What am I not?" would take much longer to attempt to answer and you would NEVER be understood. 

By the way, I am not mean-spirited. Wink

It does take a long time to find the answers to the question "What am I not?", but if you don't try, you'll never get the answer (you have to discover the answer yourself).
To get an idea what I'm talking about, see Vipassana. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vipassan%C4%81

Interesting read but I think it would take me longer to attain enlightenment through Vipassana nana than to consider all the things I am not.  Maybe I'll take it up when I retire Wink

legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074

I didn't say "we were defined by what we are not", I just said that trying to define what we are leads nowhere.
It's wiser to analyze and find out what we are not. And the possibilities are not infinite, they are just bodily and mental phenomena.

Yes I know!  That's how a discussion works.  I quoted you and then I said something in reply to what you said.  Clearly, you didn't say what I said; I said what I said.  I didn't say what you said; you said what you said! I am me.  I am not you.  <-- see what I did there?

"What am I?" is the right question.  "What am I not?" would take much longer to attempt to answer and you would NEVER be understood. 

It does take a long time to find the answers to the question "What am I not?", but if you don't try, you'll never get the answer (you have to discover the answer yourself).
To get an idea what I'm talking about, see Vipassana. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vipassan%C4%81
Activity: 839
Merit: 1004
We are the children of stars.
The stars are the nannies of the universe.    Grin

They are certainly the creators - taking elemental hydrogen and fusing it up the periodic table to uranium. Smiley
legendary

I think a person can be self-centered without being mean-spirited.    Cool

I may be argumentative but I am not self-centered.  Undecided

legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 1368

I think a person can be self-centered without being mean-spirited.    Cool
legendary

The stars are the nannies of the universe.    Grin
legendary

Activity: 839
Merit: 1004
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074

legendary

legendary
What is even more astounding is, the substance of the electrons is being replaced constantly as they move in their orbits around their atoms.

Cool
legendary
It's in our nature: if we don't like what we are, our imagination will make us something different: with an immortal soul, with a heaven waiting for us, with an invisible omniscient and omnipotent friend (I wouldn't call friend an invisible being that says if you don't believe me and love me back, I'll send you, your children, your grand children, your great-grand children and also their children to a place where you all shall be burned alive forever and ever), etc.
Pages:
Jump to: