Pages:
Author

Topic: if I disconnect my pc will my BTC be safe - page 2. (Read 2568 times)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

or you can write your private keys in some place that no one would expect to find them, so they would not be subject to hardware failures

yes transferring your private keys to another place will be the best idea..or you can store all your coins to deep freezer...
Activity: 367
Merit: 250
if your pc is clean being connected or not will not make any difference, if you knwo that your pc is infected(usually something wrong happen in this case, like cpu usage too high, strange filename ecc...) then it is better to move your wallet in another storage(offline is better)

my point is that you can have a online safe computer, in my case i have a wallet that it is always online with some btc, no one has stole those bitcoin from my desktop ever, they are still here

it is just a matter of dealing well with security

the thing that i wanna say that if anyone has physical access to your pc/laptop then the scene can be different..
its better to keep your wallet in offline in some portable hard drives.

or you can write your private keys in some place that no one would expect to find them, so they would not be subject to hardware failures
if your pc is clean being connected or not will not make any difference, if you knwo that your pc is infected(usually something wrong happen in this case, like cpu usage too high, strange filename ecc...) then it is better to move your wallet in another storage(offline is better)

my point is that you can have a online safe computer, in my case i have a wallet that it is always online with some btc, no one has stole those bitcoin from my desktop ever, they are still here

the thing that i wanna say that if anyone has physical access to your pc/laptop then the scene can be different..
its better to keep your wallet in offline in some portable hard drives.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1014
In Satoshi I Trust
It's been connected to the internet, if I turn the internet off, is there a way my BTC can be stolen without physically taking my pc?

to be even more safe you can buy a hardware-wallet:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/overview-bitcoin-hardware-wallets-secure-your-coins-899253
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
my ip is dynamic, i'm not worried about that, being a target or not, they still need to find a way to infect me, which mean that they need that i download something or click on something, almost impossible

i think if you are really careful and know what your are doing, you are the best antivirus of your desktop, but i agree that such thing isn't advisable, average joe don't have the patience for something like this, they can not manage their own security
Sorry, you think that you've got it figured out, but you don't. Opening a single email could be the ticket to your Bitcoin hell.

yeah i know, but i'm very careful everytime i open one, usually you need to download something there, also

No. Having multiple antivirus software is a bad idea because they will counteract each other. They will start fighting over viruses, they will try to kill each other and sap your power. However, it is okay to have an AV and Malwarebytes.
Strong viruses aren't a thing of that you would encounter everyday, correct. However, this goes only for your average internet users.

it's funny how you always want to contradict me  Cheesy, but you are wrong on malwarebyte, it can be used without any problem, along with others antivirus
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
my ip is dynamic, i'm not worried about that, being a target or not, they still need to find a way to infect me, which mean that they need that i download something or click on something, almost impossible

i think if you are really careful and know what your are doing, you are the best antivirus of your desktop, but i agree that such thing isn't advisable, average joe don't have the patience for something like this, they can not manage their own security
Sorry, you think that you've got it figured out, but you don't. Opening a single email could be the ticket to your Bitcoin hell.

well you need more than one antivirus, for example you can malwarebytes, also the free version of av isn't the same as the full version

anyway strong virus(like those that can hides themselves in any folder) are not a thing of everyday, it isn't that easy to be infected by those
No. Having multiple antivirus software is a bad idea because they will counteract each other. They will start fighting over viruses, they will try to kill each other and sap your power. However, it is okay to have an AV and Malwarebytes.
Strong viruses aren't a thing of that you would encounter everyday, correct. However, this goes only for your average internet users.

-snip-
and the most of trojans or keyloggers cannot be detectd by the most AVs (i'm got some victims of my keylogger the detection of AVs ar just 3 anti-viruss that detect it)
and the most of hackers or data stollers just stole passwords (especially paypal , banks) and credit cards numbers but i don't think about bitcoin private keys.
You know that you can get your money back from Paypal or a bank? Good luck getting someone to send your Bitcoins back.
legendary
if there is a trojan or a keylogger in your pc, of course they will steal your data.
so even if your pc was off if they have you private key, decrypted. they can stole your money.
but if it's encrypted it will not stop them but just delay them.
and the most of trojans or keyloggers cannot be detectd by the most AVs (i'm got some victims of my keylogger the detection of AVs ar just 3 anti-viruss that detect it)
and the most of hackers or data stollers just stole passwords (especially paypal , banks) and credit cards numbers but i don't think about bitcoin private keys.

well you need more than one antivirus, for example you can malwarebytes, also the free version of av isn't the same as the full version

anyway strong virus(like those that can hides themselves in any folder) are not a thing of everyday, it isn't that easy to be infected by those
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 10611
the important thing to remember is to keep the pc that has your wallet on, offline and never connect it to internet.
what i like to do, in order to secure my coins is to create an offline electrum wallet.
here a step by step guide that i bookmarked some time ago:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/diybitcoin-cold-wallet-usb-stick-creation-step-by-step-guide-853288
Activity: 159
Merit: 100
if there is a trojan or a keylogger in your pc, of course they will steal your data.
so even if your pc was off if they have you private key, decrypted. they can stole your money.
but if it's encrypted it will not stop them but just delay them.
legendary
if my balance is still here(about 5 btc), this only mean that my pc is safe, and not infected, it's impossible that i have a wallet stealer, and still i have all my coins here, it does not make sense at all...

same thing for a keylogger or any other virus, none of the forum that i usually visit are compromised, my bank acount is also safe, this cna only mean that my pc is 100% secure

just don't download trash(only signed file) and you're safe even online, hackers cannot connect to your pc magically, they need rootkit/rat ecc...so it is actually you that allow him to connect by installing those garbage
No. Making such conclusions is wrong. You could be infected by a sleeping type of malware. Besides, I never said that you were hacked. I said that you weren't a likely target because of your low balance.
This isn't that true either. If they know your IP address then you might also be in trouble. Gaining your IP address isn't even hard. If you use Skype, they already know it.

It is actually recommended that you store your BTC on a computer that is offline most of the time.   A lot of us have cheap laptops that have a bitcoin wallet on them that are not connected to the internet.   It is much safer.

legendary
Terminated.
if my balance is still here(about 5 btc), this only mean that my pc is safe, and not infected, it's impossible that i have a wallet stealer, and still i have all my coins here, it does not make sense at all...

same thing for a keylogger or any other virus, none of the forum that i usually visit are compromised, my bank acount is also safe, this cna only mean that my pc is 100% secure

just don't download trash(only signed file) and you're safe even online, hackers cannot connect to your pc magically, they need rootkit/rat ecc...so it is actually you that allow him to connect by installing those garbage
No. Making such conclusions is wrong. You could be infected by a sleeping type of malware. Besides, I never said that you were hacked. I said that you weren't a likely target because of your low balance.
This isn't that true either. If they know your IP address then you might also be in trouble. Gaining your IP address isn't even hard. If you use Skype, they already know it.

It is actually recommended that you store your BTC on a computer that is offline most of the time.   A lot of us have cheap laptops that have a bitcoin wallet on them that are not connected to the internet.   It is much safer.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000
Well hello there!
That largely depends on whether or not your system was already compromised when you decide to shut her down.  Shutting the computer down that contains your bitcoin wallet and coins won't save you boo if some unscrupulous hacker has already managed to get his hands on a copy of your private key.
legendary
Activity: 1223
Merit: 1002
I think no
but someone can physically take your bitcoins either taking you wallet.dat file, or exporting private keys or other way

No but if you have keylogger or malwares in your PC, there is a chance that your Bitcoins can be stolen once you connect to internet.

That's good then.

It is actually recommended that you store your BTC on a computer that is offline most of the time.   A lot of us have cheap laptops that have a bitcoin wallet on them that are not connected to the internet.   It is much safer.

You can also use cheap old android cellphone to store your coins. You can turn on wifi or data packet,
only when you need to send or receive btc.
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1140
I think no
but someone can physically take your bitcoins either taking you wallet.dat file, or exporting private keys or other way

No but if you have keylogger or malwares in your PC, there is a chance that your Bitcoins can be stolen once you connect to internet.

That's good then.

It is actually recommended that you store your BTC on a computer that is offline most of the time.   A lot of us have cheap laptops that have a bitcoin wallet on them that are not connected to the internet.   It is much safer.
legendary
if you pc is clean being connected or not will not make any difference,[1] if you knwo that your pc is infected(usually something wrong happen in this case, like cpu usage too high, strange filename ecc...) then it is better to move your wallet in another storage(offline is better)

my point is that you can have a online safe computer, in my case i have a wallet that it is always online with some btc, no one has stole those bitcoin from my desktop ever, they are still here[2]
[1]Yes it makes a difference. If your PC is disconnected a hacker can't gain access to it. While it is connected, he can. There are infections that can't be detected by anything, not by the average person nor software because of its complexity. However, a security researcher (or a group) might.
I'm going to assume that you haven't heard about The Mask (a.k.a. Careto); you should look into it. Luckily AV's can detect it now, however there are probably a lot of these out there (e.g. finfisher).
[2] If nobody has stolen your coins, that doesn't mean that they won't. Depending on your balance you might not be a likely target. We've seen a lot of people (over time) ask for help on the forums because their wallets were compromised.

same thing for a keylogger or any other virus, none of the forum that i usually visit are compromised, my bank acount is also safe, this can only mean that my pc is 100% secure

ah great now, plenty of newbie scammer are sending me pm , they want to try to scam those 5 btc i presume
legendary
Activity: 1223
Merit: 1002
legendary
Terminated.
if you pc is clean being connected or not will not make any difference,[1] if you knwo that your pc is infected(usually something wrong happen in this case, like cpu usage too high, strange filename ecc...) then it is better to move your wallet in another storage(offline is better)

my point is that you can have a online safe computer, in my case i have a wallet that it is always online with some btc, no one has stole those bitcoin from my desktop ever, they are still here[2]
[1]Yes it makes a difference. If your PC is disconnected a hacker can't gain access to it. While it is connected, he can. There are infections that can't be detected by anything, not by the average person nor software because of its complexity. However, a security researcher (or a group) might.
I'm going to assume that you haven't heard about The Mask (a.k.a. Careto); you should look into it. Luckily AV's can detect it now, however there are probably a lot of these out there (e.g. finfisher).
[2] If nobody has stolen your coins, that doesn't mean that they won't. Depending on your balance you might not be a likely target. We've seen a lot of people (over time) ask for help on the forums because their wallets were compromised.

My suggestion is a few USB's or paper wallets.  Either one works great as cold storage.  Just make sure they are stored in safe places.
-snip-
I wouldn't use USB's. They are have quite huge vulnerabilities and are prone to failure.

I'd recommend paper wallets as well. If you really wanted to store your Bitcoins for a longer period of time I would suggest the following:
1) Buy a type of stone (e.g. marble)
2) Get your private key and engrave it into the stone(It would be risky to let someone else engrave it; if he's familiar with Bitcoin he could steal your funds)
3) Place the stone somewhere and cover it (I have a few ideas) or bury it
4) Download D-BAN: http://www.dban.org/
5) Overwrite your HDD 35 times
6) Put HDD in a Microwave
7) If you have the proper tools, melt the HDD

The last 3 steps might be exaggerating (7 overwrites should be fine) but this is how I would stash my (potential) billions. Just make sure whatever you do, you make backups.
legendary

It's been connected to the internet, if I turn the internet off, is there a way my BTC can be stolen without physically taking my pc?

no man..your btc will be safe if no one has physical access except you , provided you are offline ..
if any key logger is installed and you are offline no man can hack your stuffs but the scene can be different if key logger is installed and you gonna be online..

so better be offline and don't let anyone touch your pc..
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Why don't you just keep the wallet file offline instead? No point just having a laptop not being used just to keep your coins safe when you can just store them on a flash drive or cd.

My suggestion is a few USB's or paper wallets.  Either one works great as cold storage.  Just make sure they are stored in safe places.

I think having more then 1 is a big thing.  If you have one usb and it gets corrupted, you are out of luck most likely.

So stay with cold storage, have multiple, and you are on your way to a safe wallet.
Pages:
Jump to: