Pages:
Author

Topic: if I disconnect my pc will my BTC be safe - page 3. (Read 2568 times)

Activity: 672
Merit: 508
LOTEO
It's been connected to the internet, if I turn the internet off, is there a way my BTC can be stolen without physically taking my pc?

Bitcoin transactions can only be started using your private key. If you have the private key, you can transfer bitcoins from one address to another. It doesn't matter if your internet is on or off, if you have the private key you can even move bitcoins without having direct access to the internet.  Smiley

Your bitcoins are literally on the blockchain. Your computer has the private key to move them. Recently someone posted a good analogy:

Imagine there are a group of lockers in a public place. Each locker has the following:

A lock that requires a key
    A window to see inside
    A slot that money can be put in
    An identifying number

Thefts happend because of these reasons:

Keylogger / Virus / Spyware from plugin, altcoin etc
    Sending to a website (bitcoin transactions are not reversable)
    Sending to a scammer (fake payment sites and fake investment sites)
    Leaking of private key
    Hacked exchange
    Hacked online bitcoin wallet

I recommend using a sd, cd, paper wallet or hardware wallet. A computer has so muchsoftware running on it that every program you install either knowingly or unknowingly could be dangerous.

I think no
but someone can physically take your bitcoins either taking you wallet.dat file, or exporting private keys or other way

They cannot do that if you encrypt your wallet.dat file.

Activity: 68
Merit: 10
Why don't you just keep the wallet file offline instead? No point just having a laptop not being used just to keep your coins safe when you can just store them on a flash drive or cd.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003
It's been connected to the internet, if I turn the internet off, is there a way my BTC can be stolen without physically taking my pc?

Only using old fashioned things like CDs or DVDs or flash drives!

Are you still connected to a network? If another computer or device on your network is connected to the internet, you could still be vulnerable, though far less so than the most of us.
Activity: 134
Merit: 100

depends. where do you store your bitcoins? if it's on blockchain.info for example your coins are not safe, since it's an online wallet.

if you use electrum, bitcoin core or multibit - your coins are always safe. as safe as your local machine & passwords Smiley

Bitcoin armory, and electrum
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

depends. where do you store your bitcoins? if it's on blockchain.info for example your coins are not safe, since it's an online wallet.

if you use electrum, bitcoin core or multibit - your coins are always safe. as safe as your local machine & passwords Smiley
I think no
but someone can physically take your bitcoins either taking you wallet.dat file, or exporting private keys or other way

No but if you have keylogger or malwares in your PC, there is a chance that your Bitcoins can be stolen once you connect to internet.

That's good then.
Activity: 502
Merit: 500
I think no
Activity: 560
Merit: 509
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!
No but if you have keylogger or malwares in your PC, there is a chance that your Bitcoins can be stolen once you connect to internet.
Pages:
Jump to: