Pages:
Author

Topic: If Trezor's servers go down, what would happen to wallets w/ 25th password? - page 2. (Read 281 times)

legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1284
If you need to connect to any server for wallet seed creation then your hardware wallet can send your wallet seed to any third part or not trust its security.
wallet seed is BIP protocol you can extract the private keys using https://github.com/iancoleman/bip39 and export it to any wallet. electrum or others.

Trezor's servers go down and there is no way to send coins people can use any other software.
legendary
Activity: 2366
Merit: 2054
For that matter, are there ANY hardware wallets that do not have to be used only with specific servers?  If not, that seems like an extra risk...
Trezor can completely connect with your own node, which means we can be completely independent of any servers [1]. when connected to wasabi, Trezor will also connect to the wasabi server, so are the others. cmiiw

[1]. https://wiki.trezor.io/User_manual:Running_a_local_instance_of_Trezor_Wallet_backend_(Blockbook)
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 4158
Most of them will work without.

Many of the HW wallet, or wallets in general uses BIP39 to generate their seed phrase. The method for them to generate the seed passphrase is completely transparent and it is not difficult to obtain the private keys from that directly. Even if they use a different standard like Electrum, you'll probably be able to figure out how it's done by looking at the codes, the extract the private keys yourself.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

Something I have wondered about for a while, but never got around to asking, is what would happen to wallets with a "13th Word"?

For example, I do not see how BTC could be recovered from a Trezor with the extra word via blockchain.com, Wasabi, BitPay or Ledger wallets (the only ones I am familiar with).  I have not downloaded or used Electrum or any other wallets.

For that matter, are there ANY hardware wallets that do not have to be used only with specific servers?  If not, that seems like an extra risk...
Pages:
Jump to: