Pages:
Author

Topic: If you could rename Bitcoin what would it be? - page 2. (Read 1544 times)

staff
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6152
I personally wouldn't change it if I could , name is not perfect but It's not bad either . But like some people pointed already , there is no "coin" in Bitcoin .
But I suppose if bitcoin will screw fiat over , Physical coins should be created in the future .
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1026
Free WSPU2 Token or real dollars
Bitcoin is a great name, like many people in this thread have metioned, so maybe I even have  no right to fantasize about how to rename it. But ok, OP, let's fantasize. I'd name it Antimoney. I know, it's a terrible name, right? )

it is almost "anticonstitutionnellement" the longest word in French...
legendary
Activity: 3374
Merit: 2198
I stand with Ukraine.
Bitcoin is a great name, like many people in this thread have metioned, so maybe I even have  no right to fantasize about how to rename it. But ok, OP, let's fantasize. I'd name it Antimoney. I know, it's a terrible name, right? )
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1026
Free WSPU2 Token or real dollars
why not WinSpiralCoin?
WSC would be nice...
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin is just a token name. There is no single name that can fully cover the meaning.
legendary
Activity: 2744
Merit: 2462
https://JetCash.com
SegWit Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1074
I also agree, the "coin" part should be replaced, it is confusing.  I would have called it BitBux or BB for short. I always have to explain to newbies that

you not dealing with physical coins, when you buy Bitcoin. There are many other fun names, but you need to chose something that would be universally

accepted.  If you for example called it Bit$ it would not fit the UK or other currencies not using the $ symbol.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
I dont have a idea for that name. But I think if bitcoin has another name that it will be have a different value.
Maybe with a other name it was more popular or not. You never know what is was with a another name.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
I think Blockcoin might have been better. I think it would have made it easier - at least in the earlier days - to  explain that it was based on the blockchain technology. It's not so bad now, but I remember a time when there was confusion between "Bitcoin" the currency and "Bitcoin" the technology.

Or alternatively, leave it as Bitcoin the currency and refer to Bitcoin the technology, simply as the Blockchain. Again, it's not so much an issue nowadays as it was back in the day.
legendary
Activity: 2758
Merit: 1004
PredX - AI-Powered Prediction Market
if I have the opportunity to change the name of bitcoin. maybe his name will be "the coin of luck", because these coins can make miracles. but the name alone is very good bitcoin
Activity: 2016
Merit: 721
Actually "coin" was not really a very good choice (as Andreas M. Antonopolous has pointed out many times) as "coins" are a very bad metaphor for how Bitcoin actually works (there are no coins).

The problem with new technology is that "old words" just don't fit very well - so I'm guessing the name was chosen to basically make it clear that it is a type of "money".

So if it were to be able to be renamed then the "coin" part would be what I'd drop - maybe "Bitmoney" might have been a better choice.
Agreed. Bitmoney would have been a good name, though it's three syllables, so a tiny bit too long to be practical. On that regard bitcoin isn't such a bad name. It's short and practical. Bitbuck would have been cool, too, though probably too easy to relate to dollars. I'm not a native speaker and I don't really "feel" the difference here: is "buck" a perfect synonym of "dollar" or is it ok to use it as a synonym for any currency? Cause if it's the second case, then bitbuck would have been just like perfect.

What would have been a great idea, most of all, would have been to choose other names for the decimals. 0.001 should have had a proper name, like, I don't know, "Naka" (for "Nakamoto"). 0.000001 could have been "Sato" (for "Satoshi"). And 0.00000001 should have been called "bitcent". These are all things that should have been done at the beginning. Now we'd need consensus to change all these names. And we know how consensus is hard to reach. I, for one, am absolutely opposed to counting on a basis of 0.00000001 like faucet users always love to.

Besides I hate the name "bit" for 0.000001, and this for two reasons. First because the word bit is already full of other meanings in English, especially in Computing English. And second because in my native language "bit" is pronounced exactly like the word that we use for "dick". Just imagine yourself buying a t-shirt for dicks and you get the picture. (Now I know I shouldn't speak French in the first place, and there wouldn't be a problem, but I didn't make this choice: my parents did it for me Cheesy).
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1016
"Bitcoin" is a good name which perfects imo.
But just for fun I might would name it "STFUBanksCoin" or so.
Not very creative and also kind of politically motivated I know. Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
bitmoney sounds even more generic than bitcoin, i don't like it at all

the point it there was no a better name that could have been used for it, even if it not fit perfectly it's the best you can have, that actually describe fast enough what bitcoin is
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
I think the best name for this powerful crypto currency is just Bitcoin, as chosen by the creator
And also don't forget it's nowadays known worldwide with this famous name, and not easy even for creator to change this name
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 3406
Crypto Swap Exchange
Perhaps something in the flow of "BTCitTrans" or "BTCitFee" as it clearly it's composed of little fractions of free for each transaction as opposed to other traditional or more used monetary systems but the current name is good too although it was surely chosen as BTCitcoin so it would be easier to be remembered.
Activity: 1036
Merit: 501
Actually "coin" was not really a very good choice (as Andreas M. Antonopolous has pointed out many times) as "coins" are a very bad metaphor for how Bitcoin actually works (there are no coins).

The problem with new technology is that "old words" just don't fit very well - so I'm guessing the name was chosen to basically make it clear that it is a type of "money".

So if it were to be able to be renamed then the "coin" part would be what I'd drop - maybe "Bitmoney" might have been a better choice.

(to some extent I think the project eMunie has perhaps done a much better job with its name choice but I don't think that the name is really going to be the deciding factor)

bitcoin didn't spark interest to me when i first heard of it. simply because of the word "coin" to which i thought its just coins. Nothing special and probably just less than a dime.
and until an employer hired me and asked if I accept bitcoin. thats when i started to realize its great that each coin equates more than  $1K.
Same here in the beginning the name didn't attract me to use it. So the name isn't the most attractive one you can imagine.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1018

(to some extent I think the project eMunie has perhaps done a much better job with its name choice but I don't think that the name is really going to be the deciding factor)

bitcoin didn't spark interest to me when i first heard of it. simply because of the word "coin" to which i thought its just coins. Nothing special and probably just less than a dime.
and until an employer hired me and asked if I accept bitcoin. thats when i started to realize its great that each coin equates more than  $1K.
copper member
Activity: 924
Merit: 1007
hee-ho.
February 16, 2016, 10:32:11 AM
Actually "coin" was not really a very good choice (as Andreas M. Antonopolous has pointed out many times) as "coins" are a very bad metaphor for how Bitcoin actually works.

So if it were to be renamed the "coin" part would be what I'd drop - maybe "Bitmoney" might have been better.

if we have to rename it anyway...

Bitium or Bithium. best I can think of considering that it is mined and dividable (like precious metals).
both names are taken by some companies though. and apparently -ium is supposed to be used to denote a metallic name.

or if the "bit" part also have to be removed, Inthium or BTCinthium... sounds weird?
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
February 16, 2016, 10:26:30 AM
PinkPanties.
AGD
legendary
Activity: 2070
Merit: 1164
Keeper of the Private Key
February 16, 2016, 10:25:37 AM
I would name it "CREDITS", but "Bitcoin" is also ok...
Pages:
Jump to: