Pages:
Author

Topic: If you could rename Bitcoin what would it be? - page 3. (Read 1544 times)

legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 7490
Crypto Swap Exchange
February 16, 2016, 10:24:03 AM
I wouldn't rename it, because it will confuse many people & they might think it's just altcoin.
But, if those problem wouldn't happen, i would rename it to gigacoin (because "bit" is too small Roll Eyes)
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1086
Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer
February 16, 2016, 10:14:15 AM
I don't agree with that, coin is synonymous with money and sounds slicker >_<

You do realise that "there are no coins" in Bitcoin?

So it actually becomes rather hard to explain it to people when they fixate on the idea that there must be "coins" somewhere (some see pictures of "physical Bitcoins" and think that they are the actual currency).

And your name is just "lame" btw. Cheesy
(supposed to be some sort of "jiao zai mao"?)
Activity: 70
Merit: 0
February 16, 2016, 10:13:01 AM
Actually "coin" was not really a very good choice (as Andreas M. Antonopolous has pointed out many times) as "coins" are a very bad metaphor for how Bitcoin actually works.

The problem with new technology is that "old words" just don't fit very well - so I'm guessing the name was chosen to basically make it clear that it is a type of "money".

So if it were to be renamed the "coin" part would be what I'd drop - maybe "Bitmoney" might have been better.

I don't agree with that, coin is synonymous with money and sounds slicker >_<
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1086
Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer
February 16, 2016, 10:10:05 AM
Actually "coin" was not really a very good choice (as Andreas M. Antonopolous has pointed out many times) as "coins" are a very bad metaphor for how Bitcoin actually works (there are no coins).

The problem with new technology is that "old words" just don't fit very well - so I'm guessing the name was chosen to basically make it clear that it is a type of "money".

So if it were to be able to be renamed then the "coin" part would be what I'd drop - maybe "Bitmoney" might have been a better choice.

(to some extent I think the project eMunie has perhaps done a much better job with its name choice but I don't think that the name is really going to be the deciding factor)
Activity: 980
Merit: 500
February 16, 2016, 10:08:41 AM
the current name is great. I wouldn't want to change it even if I could.

Same here. The coin was named bitcoin by it's creator so even if I had the chance to rename it, I will just leave it as is.
copper member
Activity: 924
Merit: 1007
hee-ho.
February 16, 2016, 10:06:47 AM
the current name is great. I wouldn't want to change it even if I could.
Activity: 70
Merit: 0
February 16, 2016, 10:05:31 AM
I personally would rename it to yellowcatcoin Cheesy
Pages:
Jump to: