Pages:
Author

Topic: Illegal use of Bitcoin affecting its value? - page 5. (Read 7882 times)

Activity: 275
Merit: 250
Illegal use of bitcoin will not affect its value but the news often highlight that Bitcoin is the problem. Thats what causing the value to drop...
Activity: 518
Has the use of Bitcoin for illegal things such as purchasing drugs, weapons, fraudulent documents and laundering money effected its value?

A few years ago this was the case, but these days BTC is used for so many legit purposes that it doesn't really matter. I think most of the value these days is determined by the supply/demand.

Activity: 742
Merit: 526
Illegal use of USD affecting its value?

Yes, it creates more demand for USD driving the price up. Wink

Exactly! Same is true for anything of course.

So illegal use of Bitcoin does after all drive its exchange value up? Smiley

Utility of anything drives it's value up as it it increases it's (potential) usefulness.

Yes, but this is just one side of the coin, right? What if this utility is banned? Things suddenly become rather complicated, don't they?

Only if the banning takes away the utility. If the US bans breathing out tomorrow I doubt anyone in the US will be holding their breath indefinitely.

Bitcoin allows you to get access to many things, some of them obviously being illegal. Since it has a competitive edge before fiat in reaching illegal things (less risk being caught and whatnot), this presumably adds up to its utility. So the only way to prevent this is to ban Bitcoin? Wink
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

Utility of anything drives it's value up as it it increases it's (potential) usefulness.

Yes, but this is just one side of the coin, right? What if this utility is banned? Things suddenly become rather complicated, don't they?

Only if the banning takes away the utility. If the US bans breathing out tomorrow I doubt anyone in the US will be holding their breath indefinitely.

legendary

legendary

Activity: 257
Merit: 100
Back with Silkroad V1 it did affect bitcoin but now it doesn't.
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha

legendary
Activity: 165
Cash has illegal use also. Don't think it affect the value much.
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha
As time has gone on, there has been less and less talk of the illegal uses of Bitcoin.   I think this is because it has gotten a lot of legitimacy as the larger corporations are starting to recognize and accept it as a means of payment...

Yeah, I rarely see this brought up in mainstream articles these days. While two or three years ago no journalist would ever leave the fact that people buy drugs online with Bitcoin out of an article.

It's good to see the media not focus on such a small part of Bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001
This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf
As time has gone on, there has been less and less talk of the illegal uses of Bitcoin.   I think this is because it has gotten a lot of legitimacy as the larger corporations are starting to recognize and accept it as a means of payment...
Activity: 153
Right that since transacting in BTC is anonymous, it can be used by the bad guys on its maximum.  Tongue
Activity: 988
Merit: 1000
I agree that the senator demanding that Silk Road be taken down defiantly increased the public awareness and adaptation of bitcoin. It also indirectly proved just how safe it is to use bitcoin (and TOR) as it took years and massive amounts of government resources to shut down Silk Road and catch Ross.
Plus, eventually the government got lucky.
I think it was more Ross making mistakes early on that caused him to get caught. I doubt that he ever imagined that Silk Road would have been as successful as it was. The success of silk road caused him to become a target for attacks from not only the government but also from people trying to scam and steal from him. The point is that it took a lot of resources to track down his identity, so it would really not be possible to track down the "average joe" because it wouldn't be worth what it would take to track him down.
Activity: 350
'Slow and steady wins the race'
I agree that the senator demanding that Silk Road be taken down defiantly increased the public awareness and adaptation of bitcoin. It also indirectly proved just how safe it is to use bitcoin (and TOR) as it took years and massive amounts of government resources to shut down Silk Road and catch Ross.

I think that Ross made mistakes, and the Government got lucky, but these facts adds to the fact that bitcoin is good for transacting anonymously (even though bitcoin is psydo anon)
legendary
Activity: 1358

Activity: 70
Merit: 10
Well bad guys are doing this daily with cash
Activity: 988
I simply wouldn't be here if Chuck Schumer didn't do that ridiculous Silk Road Youtube video. From right out of the Ron Paul camp, I came here and never looked back, because here are people not just threatening the US government, but actively undermining them. That was a clear proof-of-concept and I'd argue we're all indebted to Silk Road, to some extent, for Bitcoin's popularity today, an exponential expression of past adoption and evangelism.
Pages:
Jump to: