Pages:
Author

Topic: Illinois Just Made it a Felony for Its Citizens to Record the Police - page 4. (Read 7265 times)

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
The police departments as a whole are starting to forget that their main purpose is to SERVE and protect.   Undecided

Luckily, at the same time surveillance technology is becoming more advanced and more common.  These laws will eventually be overturned.

The forgot nothing.. their main purpose is to serve and protect THE BANKS AND GOV, not you.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer
I agree with this. A lot of people go around, recording cops and purposely irritating them. It's hard to work under pressure especially when people keep on pushing and pushing you. There are already video recorders and cameras in the cars of many cops so if people have complaints they can always get a judge to allow access to the videos in order to make a claim. People who record cops usually do it because they are pretentious douche bags... just saying.

You may have a point. If I was going to record a cop, I'd probably doing it on my (nonexistent) Smart Phone while pretending to text somebody, but so many people try to attract attention by making it OBVIOUS that they're filming the cop and/or interfering with the cop's duties. If you're going to record a cop, don't be an a-hole about it. We've seen that Grand Juries are often reluctant to indict cops for using deadly force and you can always post it on Youtube and/or send it to your local news station later IF you walk away from the situation with your Smart Phone still in your hand.

But seriously, I hope somebody challenges this law on court. One of these days, somebody who just happened to capture a cop on video while filming themselves going about their business and then posted the whole thing on Youtube could be prosecuted using this law.

I wonder if there are any cops who are pretentious douche bags?  Could that number be zero?  Is there a magic potion they get after getting through the academy that makes these people perfect?
All this law does is guarantee that people recording are going to have to keep the recording secret, which is probably bad for the police.  Knowing that they are being recorded may encourage best behavior, whilst not knowing (until it appears posted anonymously somewhere) may not be as good for them.  It is a bad law.
The law makes it look like they have something to hide.  The good cops may not be so worried about this. 

I can see some security issues, with facial recognition and zero privacy.  There are bad guys that might want to use this information for evil purposes.
My issue is more that it is a one-sided law... why a law that only protects police?  Why not make the same law protect everyone if there is really some privacy concern? 
The folks that want this for evil purposes will still be able to get their recordings, it will just cost more now that it is contraband.
Activity: 798
I agree with this. A lot of people go around, recording cops and purposely irritating them. It's hard to work under pressure especially when people keep on pushing and pushing you. There are already video recorders and cameras in the cars of many cops so if people have complaints they can always get a judge to allow access to the videos in order to make a claim. People who record cops usually do it because they are pretentious douche bags... just saying.

You may have a point. If I was going to record a cop, I'd probably doing it on my (nonexistent) Smart Phone while pretending to text somebody, but so many people try to attract attention by making it OBVIOUS that they're filming the cop and/or interfering with the cop's duties. If you're going to record a cop, don't be an a-hole about it. We've seen that Grand Juries are often reluctant to indict cops for using deadly force and you can always post it on Youtube and/or send it to your local news station later IF you walk away from the situation with your Smart Phone still in your hand.

But seriously, I hope somebody challenges this law on court. One of these days, somebody who just happened to capture a cop on video while filming themselves going about their business and then posted the whole thing on Youtube could be prosecuted using this law.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
So if I was to say that you are a pretentious douche bag, would it be equally without a factual basis as the allegations you have made?

+1 on calling out his lack of rationality.

LOL, then I should become a cop in america, if i want to kill innocent ppl and stay unharmed. Good.

And pervs and paedophiles are probably drawn to jobs with the Homelust Securewurity Dept.
legendary
Activity: 1067
And people still walk around thinking freedom of speech is real... Sure say whatever you want except for this, this, this this and this. Oh and don't mention that.

In France among a few other countries it's illegal to deny the holacaust (in other words, you are not even allowed to think what you want anymore) and doing so can even give a jail sentence.

Freedom of speech is real only if you are not criticizing the authority. Has always been this way since Adam and Eve!
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
hyperboria - next internet
LOL, then I should become a cop in america, if i want to kill innocent ppl and stay unharmed. Good.
legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386
So if I was to say that you are a pretentious douche bag, would it be equally without a factual basis as the allegations you have made?
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer

There are already laws against interfering with the police.  A law against recording authority is a bad law and one-sided.
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas

This. If someone who was practicing their freedom was rude it is best to end that freedom for everyone. Wouldn't want to hurt any more police officers feelings or make them uncomfortable. That's the most important thing after all.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958
First Exclusion Ever
Right, because dashcam footage never just magically disappears when it happens to capture abuse now does it? Cops already have laws that they heavily abuse that allows them to arrest anyone interfering. They are deciding the fates of peoples lives, if they can't handle the pressure they shouldn't be cops, or even armed for that matter.
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
The police departments as a whole are starting to forget that their main purpose is to SERVE and protect.   Undecided

Luckily, at the same time surveillance technology is becoming more advanced and more common.  These laws will eventually be overturned.
Activity: 675
Can't this be challenged in the courts?
Activity: 658
Chicago police are some of the worst there is. We can't go having the inner city portions of Chi-town go up in smoke all because people catch the bastards doing god knows what to who know whom over there on camera. The way police are feeling these days and especially those in Chicago, it would only be a matter of time before the sheer amount of crime there is dealt with in such a way that one situation gets out of hand and goes viral creating ferguson on steroids.
It is not only their police, it is their public officials and government in general. IL (and Chicago) is one of the worst run states (cities) in the country.

@OP - I don't think this law would be able to be enforced as the US supreme court has held that it is a constitutional right for citizens to record their interactions with the police and public officials
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001
Chicago police are some of the worst there is. We can't go having the inner city portions of Chi-town go up in smoke all because people catch the bastards doing god knows what to who know whom over there on camera. The way police are feeling these days and especially those in Chicago, it would only be a matter of time before the sheer amount of crime there is dealt with in such a way that one situation gets out of hand and goes viral creating ferguson on steroids.
legendary
Activity: 1176
minds.com/Wilikon

No one talks about it because it is a blue state AND 0bama's spot.

This link should be shared with #mikebrown #shutitdown crew...

legendary
Activity: 1148
Wasn't Obama working on something federally to have officers equip cameras to their uniforms?
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
I'm a Web Developer: HTML, CSS, PHP, JS.
Activity: 124
Merit: 10
Happy to see my state had the correct response to cops killing citizens in the US!
Activity: 490
And people still walk around thinking freedom of speech is real... Sure say whatever you want except for this, this, this this and this. Oh and don't mention that.

In France among a few other countries it's illegal to deny the holacaust (in other words, you are not even allowed to think what you want anymore) and doing so can even give a jail sentence.
Pages:
Jump to: