Pages:
Author

Topic: Im fairly confident the NSA (US Gov) Can 51% Any Coin At Any Time - page 2. (Read 6987 times)

legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000
I'm more than pretty confident they cannot  Cheesy
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
They're the NSA.  If they wanted, they could spend <1% of their budget, have some nice 28nm ASICs fabbed and mass produced and take like 80% of the network.

Good news though.  They don't give a shit.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Finding Satoshi
Couldn't some big gov entity just swallow up a bunch of ASIC wafers and get 51% that way? If a government really wants to kill Bitcoins, if the banks wants to kill Bitcoins, it shouldn't be too hard to get that type of computing power.
Activity: 798
www.DonateMedia.org
Even  if they managed to 51% Bitcoin-

It would only come at major expense
And we could easily move to another coin, forever

The Government can't do anything more about crypto-currency than they could about Pirate Bay
mrb
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027
given that they have an unlimited budget

First news for you: their budget is limited. See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_debt_of_the_United_States

Second news: the USA actually tacitly approves of Bitcoin: http://bitcoinmagazine.com/fincen-bitcoin-users-not-regulated-exchanges-are/ - They would rather make money from it (via taxes) rather than destroy it, makes sense, right?
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005
I wouldn't be surprised at all if they could do it, nor if they have a contingency plan for taking down the entire Internet at least briefly.  If not the NSA, then some other TLA.  

The question is why would they want to?  

I'm sure they are watching with fascination, but I think they'd be a lot more likely to use Bitcoin themselves than want to destroy it.  I'd guess the same about the CIA.
Activity: 784
So people here are like "Even if this three-letter agency were to spend billions of dollars of taxpayers' money just to disrupt a civilian network run partly by American citizens, I would do nothing but get others to harden my network", really?
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105
WalletScrutiny.com
51% attack won't affect existing coins, it will just make people hoard more and spend less Wink

Not necessarily. Imagine the aggressor is several governments united that decide to take over mining, combined with a 1% Tobin tax payable as transaction fee.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
51% attack won't affect existing coins, it will just make people hoard more and spend less Wink
Activity: 97
Merit: 10
One American Sumbitch Which Love 8
So whats the solution here? Is there a solution?

Cheaper ASICS distributed to more people?

Already solved. AMD stock up 5% today on news 3rd gen video game platforms will be chock full of Hash power.

We call it the Strategic Hash Reserves.

This after recent reports of video game companies operating mines with customers' in-home compute cycles...
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003
When the bitcoin market cap is 1 trillion, the mining network hardware would be worth roughly 10B at minimum, so the NSA need to at minimum invest 10B to have a remote chance to 51%, also the government usually can't work that efficiently, more like 30B investment. Good luck getting that budget passed in Congress.
Activity: 13
Merit: 0
& the CIA's jurisdiction is outside the USA. If anything, they would benefit from BTC because they can do all manner of covert payola ops to foreign bad guys and the like

This.
and you don't need to create an entirely new system of ASIC hardware that would stick out like a sore thumb.  

much easier and cheaper for covert agencies, hack people, hack the trust system.

i.e. let's talk destabilisation conspiracies.

step 1, create a screen and cover identity for one group, the hook, and the bait.
all you need to do is set up a large pool and invite people in, as to create a poisoned network node for confirming a larger pool, this needs to be "super secure" and well respected. think p2pool. this would be the security bait.

step 2, destabilise the other large pools and select a nominal target, so you can create a monopoly from the rubble, a big fish.

step 3, find an insecure server that hosts a large 40% pool, set up a tap/backdoor on the machine(s), insert your double-spend or false transaction record binary instructions into custom compiled pool daemon's and regular people will do the hard work of hiding data in the network.

step 4, establish trust in the big system and the little system at the same time, so that a general public will believe in following/propping up the big fish, while detail oriented people will move towards the security bait which has the hook.

step 5, you can keep the big fish away from the hook for as long as you need the system to work to do what you want it to.
after which, you can remove either the fish or the hook, and the system won't notice the loss. remove both, and tampering becomes more obvious.

The reality of doing this would be difficult to hide due to crypto being rooted within the protocol itself, it's the confirmations, or lack of, that matter in this kind of setup. The best analogy would be FOX news. you don't need to create or mock up news from scratch to insert a message, all you need to do is modify the content a little bit and then repeat the process, the other networks will propagate the false news as if it were accurate, forcing others to also confirm the "new" news.

legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105
WalletScrutiny.com
I totally agree with the OP. If some school kids can buy chips in China for some 20M USD, then the CIA can do so, too. Just for context: 20MUSD is about the amount the USA print every 15 minutes at least for the next 3 years.

Bitcoin definitely has made it on their radar, too.

My conclusion is that we already have the blessing of these circles. One version would be that Satoshi is the CIA. After all the $$ will fail, so what else would you do? Gold standard? Bitcoin is much easier to accumulate in the USA than gold. We know that at least 1 million BTC never moved and most likely are in the hands of Satoshi. We don't know how many of all the later coins also went back to Satoshi. Maybe Bitcoin is a scheme to aggregate 50% in the USA with controlled increase in popularity until 2020. Maybe the $$ crashes earlier.

Well, I bought some mɃ earlier today. No matter if it's the mark of the beast with full support by the US government or the cool free money we all dream of, I believe it will live. A 51% attack is not the end of it all. We will find a way.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010
Ad maiora!
The american intelligence agencies have no incentive to bring down bitcoin. Unless the NSA receives an executive order to kill bitcoin, they simply won't do it.
& the CIA's jurisdiction is outside the USA. If anything, they would benefit from BTC because they can do all manner of covert payola ops to foreign bad guys and the like. If Ollie North had btc he would have never got caught. my guess is they already have btc and are looking to move it on to all the shifty terror groups they do business with on a daily basis. crime pays, especially if you the gubmint!
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008
CEO of IOHK
The american intelligence agencies have no incentive to bring down bitcoin. Unless the NSA receives an executive order to kill bitcoin, they simply won't do it.
Activity: 784
CIA to NSA:"WTF dude? We just finished the transition from cash in shopping bags and you did this?"
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008
CEO of IOHK
I can assure you that the NSA has bigger things to worry about than bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1890
Landscaping Bitcoin for India!
http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/2917/how-fast-is-the-bitcoin-mining-network

The biggest challenge will be to stay one step ahead of exa, zetta and yotta as they come.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003
LINK TO WIRED ARTICLE: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/all/

Im dont have a degree in computer science and couldnt do any calculations even if we had real numbers about just how powerful the NSA's combined hashing power is, but given the scale and rate of development of massively parallel computing power the NSA has developed for code breaking, and given that they employ thousands of the smartest and best programmers and cryptographers in the world, and given that they have an unlimited budget, its seems obvious to me that the US Gov could have the NSA 51% attack any coin at any time. They have machines which make your Avalon look like a Casio watch from 1980.

Sorry for the downer, and hey at least Bitcoins have bounced back a little today. But to me this seems to be by far the biggest threat to Bitcoin and all the altcoins. Sorry if this has been posted or discussed here before, I did a quick search but didnt find much.

"the agency has not finished building at Oak Ridge, nor is it satisfied with breaking the petaflop barrier. Its next goal is to reach exaflop speed, one quintillion (1018) operations a second, and eventually zettaflop (1021) and yottaflop."

Without ASICS they would have trouble getting enough power into any known facility.  If it is not ASIC they would not be able to do it easily even with a large budget.  
legendary
Activity: 3192
Merit: 4373
diamond-handed zealot
bullshit

bitcoin is the most powerful computing effort undertaken by humans to date...by an order of magnitude and then some
Pages:
Jump to: