Pages:
Author

Topic: Impossible to Buy GPUS - page 4. (Read 2002 times)

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132
February 01, 2018, 07:00:47 PM
Why would one buy gpus right now with eth pow ending and the new generation of cards coming out, just buy btc instead...
no one knows when eth pow will end stop with that bs

The new gen of nivida cards and the stupid inflated prices of the current cardss is why im not buying

im buying crypto atm
Activity: 54
Merit: 10
February 01, 2018, 06:58:28 PM
Why would one buy gpus right now with eth pow ending and the new generation of cards coming out, just buy btc instead...
Activity: 223
Merit: 21
DCAB
February 01, 2018, 06:52:29 PM
I have auto notify on multiple legit venders
I get google group notifications
I get emails from nowinstock
I've searched far, wide, low, high
I've even sacrificed my first born.

Well maybe not the last one but sometimes...I'm so frustrated with just trying to buy one damn GPU to start my next rig.  Within literally seconds, 5-6 at most, from getting my auto notifications the stock is gone.  I can't even login fast enough to hit pay.  People must just have Captcha work around and auto buy scripts going for everything.  Is there a pre-order site?  Anything where I can put money down in a card that isn't asininely priced by vultures?  Angry

You just gotta be patient. I’m a generally patient person and when I do see them pop up for MSRP I buy as many as I can because I know people are willing to pay a premium to not have to be patient. So, quite literally, patience is a marketable asset.
Activity: 145
Merit: 11
February 01, 2018, 06:49:39 PM
I ordered 3 1080 TIs at MSRP the past couple days. Just need to be quick.

Nice, what from retailer? I've got auto notifies everywhere trying..
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
February 01, 2018, 06:11:00 PM
30 days ago you could buy any GPU for close to MSRP. Amazing what difference a few weeks make. According to Angry Chicken's last video on Youtube the shortage is due to Nvidia's manufacturing shifting to the new Volta GPU's. It may be a rough couple months until the new line is released. I also got a feeling the current price run up is going to lead to sticker shock once the new GPU's are out due to increased manufacturing costs from the smaller 12 nM process for Volta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op3h_bV3ohA

40 days ago more like, and ONLY on the Nvidia side - AMD cards haven't been close to MSRP (except Vega) since spring, and the Vega low prices evaporated before Thanksgiving when the "killer on Monero" guides got widespread.

I don't anticipate a huge price jump on MSRP for the Volta cards - we didn't get one from Maxwell to Pascal after all, despite 28nm being a MUCH bigger jump on cost to 16nm vs 16nm to 12nm (which is the same NODE, just upgraded on the process and misnamed).
 I DO anticipate a 10-15% jump due to the move to GDDR6 and memory pricing jumps in general, and won't be shocked at 20%.

Here is archive.com's snapshot of Newegg's GPU page from 12/31. You could buy just about any Nvidia card for close to MSRP and they were in stock, albeit 1 per customer in most cases.

https://web.archive.org/web/20171127075041/https://www.newegg.com/Desktop-Graphics-Cards/SubCategory/ID-48

The last AMD RX 580 8GB I bought was in the middle of last month for $279 which is ALOT closer to MSRP of $229 than the $500+ they are now.

Your link is showing a date of 27 November, not 31 December.

I don't count a 22% premium OVER MSRP on a card that was seilling 10-11 months ago for UNDER MSRP as being "close to MSRP" - closer than now certainly, but not really "close".

It's starting to look like the PRIMARY cause for the current shortage was timing on Nvidia's part, in having TSMC shift from Pascal production to Volta production "around the end of the year" and RIGHT AFTER the busy Christmas season.
 For a change, Nvidia ran out FIRST then the gamers started grabbing AMD cards 'cause they were still available - and a week later POOF both sides have run out of inventory at the retailers and stock in the pipeline.

I suspect demand drop on the mining side isn't that big of a factor, as I don't think it was much of a factor in CAUSING the current shortage.
Activity: 210
February 01, 2018, 09:24:13 AM
There is always the opportunity to buy the GPU from intermediaries. They sell expensive but you get your order very quickly. In mining time is money. Perhaps you have a reason to buy more. But now I don't recommend to buy equipment. The decline in profitability observed in all the algorithms. Very soon the demand will decrease and you will buy a cheaper GPU.

I'm hoping you're correct regarding demand increase from lack of profitability.  Though with the last few weeks of tumult I thought we'd already be seeing some demand side reduction.  Obviously we're all hedging on pricing coming back up so that doesn't help...

I'll just keep trying to get it at MSRP  Sad
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
February 01, 2018, 08:42:09 AM

Dude I can't be any quicker than 4 seconds from notification emails.  They're always pulled out of my shopping cart by the time I hit purchase.

Dare I ask where your're buying?

I had the same thing happen a bunch of times. I got two on Amazon and 1 from Nvidia. Supposed to ship next week.
Activity: 406
Merit: 255
February 01, 2018, 08:41:28 AM
There is always the opportunity to buy the GPU from intermediaries. They sell expensive but you get your order very quickly. In mining time is money. Perhaps you have a reason to buy more. But now I don't recommend to buy equipment. The decline in profitability observed in all the algorithms. Very soon the demand will decrease and you will buy a cheaper GPU.
Activity: 210
February 01, 2018, 08:32:14 AM

Dude I can't be any quicker than 4 seconds from notification emails.  They're always pulled out of my shopping cart by the time I hit purchase.

Dare I ask where your're buying?
Activity: 24
February 01, 2018, 06:31:11 AM
It is so funny that all GPUs worldwide are sold out or so expensive, that nearly nobody will buy them...
WTF is happening Smiley Nowadays you can make more money by selling your rig(s) then the rig(s) can mine ^^
Activity: 98
February 01, 2018, 06:18:10 AM
it's the same here in China. Besides, our gorv is banning big farm.
Activity: 2142
Merit: 353
Xtreme Monster
February 01, 2018, 06:14:48 AM
You people are stupid, you should not be buying gpus, you should be selling hehe
Activity: 1138
Merit: 523
February 01, 2018, 06:02:27 AM
I've had a local supplier come out and tell me that they've been asked only to sell bundles with mobos.
February 01, 2018, 02:00:14 AM
Plus limit is one, who wants a rig with mismatching GPUs?

Doesn't mean they need to be ordered at the same time or from the same vendor. Anyway, I will flip them to reduce my rig cost.
Activity: 630
In BTCz we trust. Organic slow growth.
February 01, 2018, 01:55:22 AM

Well maybe not the last one but sometimes...I'm so frustrated with just trying to buy one damn GPU to start my next rig.  Within literally seconds, 5-6 at most, from getting my auto notifications the stock is gone.  I can't even login fast enough to hit pay.  People must just have Captcha work around and auto buy scripts going for everything.  Is there a pre-order site?  Anything where I can put money down in a card that isn't asininely priced by vultures?  Angry

Wait for summer, the market will be flooded and prices will be cut in half when BTC drops back to $4000 support level by April. Many will be forced to stop mining in the heat of summer.

Actually, the heat of summer has not had any affect on mining ever.

I was surprised also.

But I guess most people just vent the air outside.

It absolutely does. Watch difficulties drop significantly by April-May and profitability stay the same because BTC will also drop as well.

I mined from Dec 2013 to April 2014 and stopped as it got so hot. If I had not stopped I would not have had a mortgage today.
February 01, 2018, 01:53:23 AM

Yea quick. I get notifications too but as soon as I click next its out of stock already. Typically less than 5 minutes.

Plus limit is one, who wants a rig with mismatching GPUs?
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708
February 01, 2018, 01:44:26 AM

Wait for summer, the market will be flooded and prices will be cut in half when BTC drops back to $4000 support level by April. Many will be forced to stop mining in the heat of summer.

Actually, the heat of summer has not had any affect on mining ever.

I was surprised also.

But I guess most people just vent the air outside.
February 01, 2018, 01:42:32 AM

February 01, 2018, 01:42:12 AM
Activity: 788
Merit: 100
February 01, 2018, 01:39:45 AM
Yes. in indonesia, price of Amd RX570 card is very expensive, about $575 each
it is insane!
recomended buy ASIC mining, because GPU card shortage at the moment
Pages:
Jump to: