Pages:
Author

Topic: In Europe, bank transfers are free and unlimited for all - page 2. (Read 3026 times)

U2
Activity: 676
Merit: 503
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...
Idk, a 10 cent fee or free really doesn't matter to me. I'm not using bitcoins to spend them, I'm using them as a store of wealth. So it has zero affect on me. Wood see shit your currency that's constantly worth less each year gives you free transfers. Sounds like a shitcoin to me lol!
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007
I rather pay some cents for a transaction to be able to send money all over the world without being tracked
and without waiting 2-3 days until the money arrives.. and in addition to that you dont even control your money..
The Pro's of Bitcoin are not the low transaction fees (even tho they are pretty low.. )
If its about Transaction fees.. and fast payments.. you could use PayPal... but thats well.. a horrible idea (at least in my opinion)
I can definitely see some of the logic behind a lot of the comments on how mediums such as Paypal or WU or whatever aren't necessarily good and a lot of the time, it's true, they aren't beneficial and they charge far more for their services than they should. I personally prioritize Bitcoin over other forms of wealth transfer, and it works fine for me.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481
I rather pay some cents for a transaction to be able to send money all over the world without being tracked
and without waiting 2-3 days until the money arrives.. and in addition to that you dont even control your money..
The Pro's of Bitcoin are not the low transaction fees (even tho they are pretty low.. )
If its about Transaction fees.. and fast payments.. you could use PayPal... but thats well.. a horrible idea (at least in my opinion)
Activity: 924
Merit: 506
Can you still transfer $200M with zero fee? do you not know banks only transfer the credits and not liquid money? with bitcoin you can pay $1 to transact millions of dollars in less than 10 minutes.
Problem regarding block size if increases then miners would have consume much more electricity to mine blocks while spam transactions are included in blocks without any BTC actually moving around and the solution to avoid that is paying some high fees that is less than a dollar.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292
There is trouble abrewing
Just a reminder.

From my European bank account, I can make a SEPA transfer to any other European bank account for free. No fee. Nothing to pay. It normally takes one and a half business day so BTC is faster, way faster, but that's not always the case because of the congestion. That used to be exceptional but it's getting the norm. The only way out is a higher fee, which makes BTC less appealing.

Sure, BTC remains the best option for extra-European transfers, and BTC still has the advantage of privacy by being difficult to link to one individual, but all miners and developers shall never forget there's competition out there. Banks, Paypal, Skrill... If BTC wants to be the best, it really needs to be the best.

this is what is going to happen if the fee war continues on. transactions become more and more expensive and this will start making the currency side of bitcoin fade away and eventually disappear, making bitcoin just a luxury investment and nothing more. because people are not going to give up fiat to use something they don't understand to also pay more fees.
Activity: 1036
Merit: 514
Just a reminder.

From my European bank account, I can make a SEPA transfer to any other European bank account for free. No fee. Nothing to pay. It normally takes one and a half business day so BTC is faster, way faster, but that's not always the case because of the congestion. That used to be exceptional but it's getting the norm. The only way out is a higher fee, which makes BTC less appealing.

Sure, BTC remains the best option for extra-European transfers, and BTC still has the advantage of privacy by being difficult to link to one individual, but all miners and developers shall never forget there's competition out there. Banks, Paypal, Skrill... If BTC wants to be the best, it really needs to be the best.
Bitcoin is more attractive then, this problem has discussed like 1000 times and never tipped, no act, no solution but remain argued.
Higher fees isn't problem as long as not exceed $1 USD, but block size which ended thousands of unconfirmed transaction that matter.
We're no longer enjoy fastest money transaction over the world but we have to wait for hours, maybe days just for confirmed transaction.
It is not about the fees, but how devs team and miners agreed to make bitcoin to be the best.
Activity: 280
Merit: 253
I agree and am preaching almost the same lately. Even a year ago Bitcoin was all about how quick and cheap the transfers are and how this will cause mass adoption an the fall of the banks. Today banks offer also quick and cheap/free possibilities of money transfer. Not all the time, but most of us have no need to send money to a foreign country all the time.
Yes, you still control your Bitcoins and nobody can take them away. But many people are perfectly fine to not be the ones in charge of their money. Personally i can not understand this, but to some being your own bank seems to be a burden. Just look how many look for a bank or hardware wallet for safe keeping their keys.
And what about privacy? Exchange adopt more and more the KYC standards and it is getting harder to stay anonymous/pseudonymous.
Offline merchants are still not adopting Bitcoin at a scale we were dreaming about and i do not see it change quickly. Which is maybe even good, considering, that Bitcoin has some troubles with the amount of transactions it can handle.
So what is really left of all these promises? The price is still rising like crazy, but if you consider the circumstances i wonder why. I just wonder what happens if this also changes.
Activity: 1190
Merit: 534
Digital payments are the need of this era and every country should focus on promoting and inculcating the habit of digital payments. I am from India and I am happy to tell that the Indian government is giving away  3400 million rupees in form of rewards for those who are using digital payments such as debit card, net banking etc. 7,000 Weekly rewards and much more.

It is also beneficial for the bitcoin as our cryptocurrency is based on 100% digital technology so I am sure in next few years, we will have strong bitcoin userbase.
Activity: 2478
Merit: 644
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
There are a  lot of reasons why people choose bitcoin over fiat, some people prefer to so transaction without entering the ID detail where it can be tracked and maybe can be used for criminal activity, when sending money using bitcoin in different country, we don't need to convert it to fiat and calculate the rate anymore, but I do agree bitcoin need to keep on doing the best so people attracted to used it for transaction

Bitcoin transactions cannot be tracked, that does not mean that this feature is only liked by criminals. Even normal person like me  like this fact. As you know if government knows about your transactions they will ask you proof of where this money came from and did you pay taxes on it etc. Most of people use bitcoins only to avoid taxes.
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1598
I don't really care, they can be instant and easy to complete but I don't care as soon as I can be questioned at any time about the money I send or receive. Nobody asks me where does the money go to or come from when it comes to Bitcoin, but if I sent $100k through a bank I would have to declare it not to have problems later.
Activity: 770
Merit: 500
Well, don't suppose that if Europe has no fee transactions, the rest of the world will be the same. Some countries, including mine, is causing a lot of annoyance for the people because of unreasonably high fees for transferring money. So to us, bitcoin is still an important alternative currency and it plays a huge role in international transactions. And that bitcoin is the best doesn't mean that it has no flaw. And things don't come for free, everything has its price.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1073
You know you one of the lucky people out there.... right? In many other countries, banks and remittance services are ripping people off with

outrageous fees.  Angry As you said, under normal circumstances.. Bitcoin is definitely a better option, but GREED has taken over now, and people

are milking the current situation for higher fees and to make a bigger profit. In the end... this will turn people against this technology as a

alternative to other technologies. They are just not seeing it now, because they are blinded by their own GREED.  Angry
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001
Just a reminder.

In my country it depends on banks, there are banks that charge commissions on Sepa transfers to other banks ( and free Sepa transfer to another account of the same bank), and banks that have always free Sepa transfers.
Activity: 556
Merit: 500
There are a  lot of reasons why people choose bitcoin over fiat, some people prefer to so transaction without entering the ID detail where it can be tracked and maybe can be used for criminal activity, when sending money using bitcoin in different country, we don't need to convert it to fiat and calculate the rate anymore, but I do agree bitcoin need to keep on doing the best so people attracted to used it for transaction

Don't underestimate the risk of a central bank failure, many people are holding bitcoin because of economic dislocations.
Activity: 379
Merit: 250
A SEPA transfer is trackable. I do not want the police to knock on my door 10 years after I did a transaction of a few thousand dollars worth to some tax-free Island. Bitcoin is not and just this is enough.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1001
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1003
Just a reminder.

You have mixed some things here, Europe and EU are two different things but have many things in common.

SEPA transfers are limited only to EU countries and not for other countries that are already in Europe, if it is free then lucky you even though it take 1 day and a half.

Of course that bitcoin is faster but it can be slower if there is an blockchain attack or a stress test or if the fees are too low.
legendary
Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047
Your country may be your worst enemy
you are comparing a finished tool against a non-finished one, bitcoin still don' scale properly, when they activate segwit or hard fork to 2mb or whatever they want to do to address the scalability bitcoin will have proper fee

if you compare it to fiat and the time they need you can actually pay 10k satoshi and be very lucky that it will confirm in one dday, like sepa(actually sepa can take 3 days some time...) so 0.1 cent against free not a big deal for me

Oh, yes. This topic is just a wake-up call. I understand BTC's still in the works, but the scalability problem is taking way too long to fix, and segwit doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Rate of adoption has stalled, so I don't know what's next but ever rising fees do not look like a smart solution.

Something better must be done.
Activity: 38
Merit: 0
first of all, thats not true for all europe, second of all as you stated there are so manny advantages for bitcoin that banks just can provide like the privacy and individuality
Activity: 2646
Merit: 686
Just a reminder.

Agreed with op that Europe bank transfers are free but that's Fiat money we are talking about and Bitcoin is a crypto currency. Paypal is going to take a big hit as it has stopped payments to entire ptc industry even the reputed clicksense and neobux were not spared. I had a horrible experience and trauma of loosing all my funds, so even if I need to wait I will choose Bitcoin any day. Now you say banks offer free transfer but do they give price rise like Bitcoin does no right. Bitcoin is really good and one should stick to it irrespective of the delays which I am sure will processed out someday.
Pages:
Jump to: