Pages:
Author

Topic: Instawallet/Bitcoin-Central Security Breach - page 16. (Read 85315 times)

Activity: 756
Merit: 1000
I made two withdrawals from jnstawallet 2 nights ago around 1am GMT. The first one did not show up but the second one did. I messages Davout about the first one not showing up and I also emailed support at instawallet. I wasn't worried as it actually happened last time I withdrew money from them too. That took 24 hours. I also thought that as it was a bank holiday there might be a delay in support.

If this money was sent should I be sure to receive this whatever happens with the rest of instawallets issues?
legendary
Activity: 1008
We thank you for your patience and will provide updates exclusively on this page as they come in.

What page is that from?

The wording "exclusive control" is also odd to me, sounds like someone steals it (internal employee?) and they discovered and force the guy give back the key?

Sounds to me like they're just saying "we know this address hasn't been compromised, and we control it, so don't worry".

This is from https://bitcoin-central.net/.
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1333
We thank you for your patience and will provide updates exclusively on this page as they come in.

What page is that from?

The wording "exclusive control" is also odd to me, sounds like someone steals it (internal employee?) and they discovered and force the guy give back the key?

Sounds to me like they're just saying "we know this address hasn't been compromised, and we control it, so don't worry".
legendary
Signing a message with 1LrPYjto3hsLzWJNstghuwdrQXB96KbrCy would be appropriate... also, a message at a website which may be compromised doesn't guarantee much IMO.

(Nick had the same idea as me it seems...)

Both good points. Also lol at person indignant that they're not paid for the work done googling site:instawallet.com

It's instawallet.ORG
Tongue
Merit: 522
Signing a message with 1LrPYjto3hsLzWJNstghuwdrQXB96KbrCy would be appropriate... also, a message at a website which may be compromised doesn't guarantee much IMO.

Both good points. Also lol at person indignant that they're not paid for the work done googling site:instawallet.com
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
Circle gets the Square
Is it me or has the transactions been waiting 3 hours to be included in a block?

seems VERY odd. Could understand if they had been sent with no fees, but they haven't
Activity: 68
Merit: 10
Someone on HN pointed out that the transfer happened an hour or two before the site went down. Can anyone confirm this? It looks like the transfer happened about an hour before *this thread* appeared, but did this thread start immediately after the site came down?

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5475389

I made the thread after I tried to access my Instawallet and couldn't. I have no idea when it went down.

Bitcoin Central has been failing to process transactions since 5PM CET (which is 6 hours ago at the moment of writing) and went to 'Down for maintenance'-mode 2 hours later. It seems the transaction was indeed done well before it went down, roughly when they stopped processing transactions on BTCentral.

I hardly think a hacker would take the time to post such a message after he has looted 4 million worth of USD. I don't really see the added value. Would it serve as a convincer to miners that are currently not adding it to the blocks? I doubt miners would decide based upon a post like that - seeing as the transaction fee is so huge, the reason it hasn't been added to a block can hardly be a collective moral decision of miners.
Activity: 306
Merit: 250
Donations: http://tny.im/nx

Activity: 57
Merit: 1
They should sign a message with that adress to proof it's under their exclusive control.
legendary
Someone on HN pointed out that the transfer happened an hour or two before the site went down. Can anyone confirm this? It looks like the transfer happened about an hour before *this thread* appeared, but did this thread start immediately after the site came down?

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5475389

I made the thread after I tried to access my Instawallet and couldn't. I have no idea when it went down.
Activity: 518
Glad this one has panned out OK (or will do once that transaction actually confirms)

Strange that they're still unconfirmed.
They sure kept us in a state of panic for a while there! Glad to see it's all working out fine Smiley

[Apr-1 10:30 CET] Bitcoin-Central and Paytunia update: Our customer's bitcoins and euros are safe and will not be affected by the security breach. We have taken the websites off-line for proper investigation.

The address 1LrPYjto3hsLzWJNstghuwdrQXB96KbrCy is under our exclusive control.

We thank you for your patience and will provide updates exclusively on this page as they come in. We are committed to resuming service as soon as possible. Expect normal service to resume within 48 hours.

----

Deep breath ...

What's the site?

It's showing up on https://bitcoin-central.net/

So far it hasn't appeared on Paytunia and Instawallet yet, but as the Instawallet transaction was to the same address I can only assume that those funds are safe as well.
They sure kept us in a state of panic for a while there! Glad to see it's all working out fine Smiley

[Apr-1 10:30 CET] Bitcoin-Central and Paytunia update: Our customer's bitcoins and euros are safe and will not be affected by the security breach. We have taken the websites off-line for proper investigation.

We thank you for your patience and will provide updates exclusively on this page as they come in. We are committed to resuming service as soon as possible. Expect normal service to resume within 48 hours.

----

Deep breath ...

What's the site?

So far it hasn't appeared on Paytunia and Instawallet yet, but as the Instawallet transaction was to the same address I can only assume that those funds are safe as well.

I hope so. I really do.

Activity: 742
Circle gets the Square
Glad this one has panned out OK (or will do once that transaction actually confirms)

As the value of bitcoin goes up, so does the amount (and the combined skillset) of hackers wanting to relieve people and business of coins. There is only so well prepared these companies can be, as seen by the social-engineering hack on BitInstant.
Activity: 47
Merit: 0
either way the lesson will be "trust no one to hold your coins".
Seconded
Activity: 68
Merit: 10

----

Deep breath ...

What's the site?

Activity: 518
twolifeinexile, nahh it just means that they and only they control it. Could just as well say "it is our address".

But exclusive control sounds so much COOLER.
pof
Activity: 204
Merit: 100

----

Deep breath ...

What's the site?
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
I locked my thread https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1717292 (about Bitcoin-Cetnral security breach) and told people to come here.

Injust, can you please change thread title to include "bitcoin central"?
Activity: 154
Merit: 100

----

Deep breath ...
Does that include instawallet?

And is this user reliable?

Pages:
Jump to: