Pages:
Author

Topic: Intel enters desktop dGPU market - page 3. (Read 877 times)

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1577
Binance #SWGT and CERTIK Audited
January 28, 2021, 11:41:24 AM
Not be able to buy they separately makes this pointless, I thought intel will build their one discrete gpu and challenge nvidia and AMD, so why the post anyways? We can't expect this gpu to be good for mining rigs since they aren't standalone, aaargghh
An interesting historical fact. Intel first entered the GPU market. Grin
legendary
Activity: 3682
Merit: 1694
January 28, 2021, 01:29:57 AM
You guys might not realise this but most of the GPUs out today are actually Intel GPUs. They are not the ones we use for mining but the built in ones we use with our onboard video or with our intel CPUs. Most people, especially businesses don't need powerful GPUs so the Intel built-in graphics is sufficient.

So the fact that they are going into higher end is not surprising. I am assuming they are doing this since their market share is reduced since Apple started to make its own chips. They want to regain some of the market share back. I think it will be interesting and we will see how they will compete with Nvidia and AMD in the near future.
legendary
Activity: 3388
Merit: 6072
Crypto Swap Exchange
January 27, 2021, 01:08:15 PM
Yes it's for "pre-built" systems and requires a custom / special BIOS on the motherboard.
Going to be interesting to see how long till they make it to the secondary market.
And then what will happen when people can't use them because their board does not support it.

There are some businesses that look at the parts value of PCs for internal re-use as part of the IT budget.
I can pull the 2 year old top of the line card that was in the engineering CAD PC and put it in the mid range PC of the accountant that has 4 screens so they can have multiple spreadsheets open.
I think pull the card from the accountant PC to put in a managers PC because they want something "better".

Now if they want something "better" it involves a purchase because I can't move the accountants card.

Hmmmm.

-Dave
Activity: 1358
Merit: 215
January 27, 2021, 12:34:41 PM
AFAIK it uses OCL but I don't known if it's compatible with AMD mining software. At a miminum I expect they
would to need to be recompiled specificaly for Xe.

Some of the previous comments aren't really usefull. It is a discrete standlone GPU. Yes, it's small and
not suitable for mining rigs but it's only part of a much bigger plan.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15119/intels-xe-for-hpc-ponte-vecchio-with-chiplets-emib-and-foveros-on-7nm-coming-2021
Activity: 406
Merit: 14
January 27, 2021, 12:04:32 PM
Thanks for sharing but I don't see the need since we can't use this gpu to mine coins, integrated GPUs are always not powerful enough for mining purposes, but I do hope that one day intel will join the gpu race too, three gpu companies will be fun
Activity: 1251
Merit: 135
January 27, 2021, 11:37:40 AM
Since they will be in prebuilt only at first dont expect great things out of them.  But maybe in a few years Intel will actually have a gpu even worth talking about.
Activity: 1557
Merit: 69
January 27, 2021, 11:22:53 AM
https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-partners-up-with-oems-to-offer-its-first-iris-xe-discrete-graphics-cards-for-desktops

"A big milestone for Intel.

Intel today announced it is entering the discrete GPU market after partnering up with ASUS and other OEMs. First graphics cards featuring Intel GPU will be for mainstream users and small businesses. Those graphics cards will be used in pre-built systems for now, which means they cannot be bought separately."

When will the time come when we will be able to mine on Intel graphics cards?

This info is not from today, they announced it around a year ago. But it is nice to see another gpu manufacturer  Grin
Activity: 756
Merit: 14
January 27, 2021, 10:45:35 AM
Not be able to buy they separately makes this pointless, I thought intel will build their one discrete gpu and challenge nvidia and AMD, so why the post anyways? We can't expect this gpu to be good for mining rigs since they aren't standalone, aaargghh
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1577
Binance #SWGT and CERTIK Audited
January 27, 2021, 09:26:53 AM
https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-partners-up-with-oems-to-offer-its-first-iris-xe-discrete-graphics-cards-for-desktops

"A big milestone for Intel.

Intel today announced it is entering the discrete GPU market after partnering up with ASUS and other OEMs. First graphics cards featuring Intel GPU will be for mainstream users and small businesses. Those graphics cards will be used in pre-built systems for now, which means they cannot be bought separately."

When will the time come when we will be able to mine on Intel graphics cards?

Pages:
Jump to: