Pages:
Author

Topic: Intellectual Property - In All Fairness! - page 100. (Read 105875 times)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
September 15, 2011, 12:25:41 PM
What if you threaten me with a Chef's knife, but I only have an axe? Would we both call for a timeout, so I can head down to Bed, Bath and Beyond?

It's not about weapon. It's about the damage dealt. If you trespass on my property, I can't kill you just for that. If you pick my pocket, I can't kill you just for that. If you don't understand libertarian views then how can you be so opposed to them?

No. Self-defense is defense from an immediate threat of physical violence in proportion to the threat and directly targeted at the person or persons making the threat. The particular people they abducted, tortured and killed were not threatening them with physical violence. Therefore, it wasn't self-defense.

So you don't agree they are entitled to nukes.

Phew!

Now tell us who you will put in charge of deciding who is fit to have nukes as they only want to defend themselves and who is not?

Still waiting for my answer Sad

Who is in charge of deciding if a mugger is using his knife to rob your or is using it to whittle a piece of wood?

Witnesses and the person being mugged. And the mugger, if he confesses. That's all very interesting.
Activity: 504
Merit: 252
Elder Crypto God
September 15, 2011, 12:09:54 PM
What if you threaten me with a Chef's knife, but I only have an axe? Would we both call for a timeout, so I can head down to Bed, Bath and Beyond?

It's not about weapon. It's about the damage dealt. If you trespass on my property, I can't kill you just for that. If you pick my pocket, I can't kill you just for that. If you don't understand libertarian views then how can you be so opposed to them?

No. Self-defense is defense from an immediate threat of physical violence in proportion to the threat and directly targeted at the person or persons making the threat. The particular people they abducted, tortured and killed were not threatening them with physical violence. Therefore, it wasn't self-defense.

Phew!

Now tell us who you will put in charge of deciding who is fit to have nukes as they only want to defend themselves and who is not?

Who is in charge of deciding if a mugger is using his knife to rob your or is using it to whittle a piece of wood?
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
September 15, 2011, 11:02:27 AM

Phew!

Elder Crypto God
September 15, 2011, 10:14:40 AM

Activity: 154
Merit: 103
September 15, 2011, 09:59:35 AM
Activity: 130
Merit: 100
September 15, 2011, 07:25:58 AM
legendary
September 15, 2011, 05:56:09 AM
Activity: 130
Merit: 100
September 15, 2011, 04:27:45 AM
legendary
September 15, 2011, 03:19:06 AM
September 15, 2011, 12:54:27 AM
Self-defense is defense from an immediate threat of physical violence in proportion to the threat and directly targeted at the person or persons making the threat.

Elder Crypto God
September 14, 2011, 11:59:49 PM
Self-defense is defense from an immediate threat of physical violence in proportion to the threat and directly targeted at the person or persons making the threat.

in proportion

in proportion

in proportion

in proportion
September 14, 2011, 10:57:27 PM
Why do you trivialize the sum total of everything we are derived from and depend upon? I think you need to seriously reevaluate the importance of the concept of property rights against everything else that has ever existed. Read what you just wrote. Do you think I'm going to give you a book which goes on about property rights? Seriously. There are bigger things in this world to discuss. Understanding those things, instead of trivializing them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

Some Coen Brothers films are some of my favorite all time films. However, I think what I said bears some more thought. In fact, most of the things I say here bear a little bit more thought than you're giving. Try it for a few weeks, and then you can go back to your views if you so desire.

Are you going to read more of what I recommend, or should I not bother? Let me know.
September 14, 2011, 10:54:52 PM
The Shankill butchers believed they were defending their community.  Does that belief entitle them to nukes?

No. Self-defense is defense from an immediate threat of physical violence in proportion to the threat and directly targeted at the person or persons making the threat.

So using this logic and your past logic, you can "defend" yourself from taxes with nukes.  Seems totally logical.

No doubt he's still ignoring you. He was actually agreeable for a short period of time, and then declared that he was concerned that my reading recommendations were going to mostly represent consequentialism. It seemed an odd thing to be concerned about, assuming it was true.
Elder Crypto God
September 14, 2011, 10:51:39 PM
Why do you trivialize the sum total of everything we are derived from and depend upon? I think you need to seriously reevaluate the importance of the concept of property rights against everything else that has ever existed. Read what you just wrote. Do you think I'm going to give you a book which goes on about property rights? Seriously. There are bigger things in this world to discuss. Understanding those things, instead of trivializing them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c
Activity: 154
Merit: 103
September 14, 2011, 06:27:16 PM
The Shankill butchers believed they were defending their community.  Does that belief entitle them to nukes?

No. Self-defense is defense from an immediate threat of physical violence in proportion to the threat and directly targeted at the person or persons making the threat.

So using this logic and your past logic, you an "defend" yourself from taxes with nukes.  Seems totally logical.
September 14, 2011, 05:27:00 PM
I hope you will continue to read the reading recommendations that I will be suggesting.

I just hope they don't all amount to consequentialist arguments i.e. the environment will be spoiled unless we stomp all over property rights. I'll go ahead and grant you that it will be spoiled, for the sake of argument, (even though in all actuality, I doubt it) but it matters not.

legendary
September 14, 2011, 05:26:16 PM

Phew!

Elder Crypto God
September 14, 2011, 05:12:02 PM
I hope you will continue to read the reading recommendations that I will be suggesting.

I just hope they don't all amount to consequentialist arguments i.e. the environment will be spoiled unless we stomp all over property rights. I'll go ahead and grant you that it will be spoiled, for the sake of argument, (even though in all actuality, I doubt it) but it matters not.
September 14, 2011, 05:03:02 PM

Don't you find this all to be a little too philosophical? I mean, you very recently implied that what I hope to change will not likely be achievable, saying "I highly doubt you'll have any success."

I hope you will continue to read the reading recommendations that I will be suggesting. I don't think they're philosophical at all.
Elder Crypto God
September 14, 2011, 04:23:46 PM
Pages:
Jump to: