Pages:
Author

Topic: Intellectual Property - In All Fairness! - page 74. (Read 105875 times)

Activity: 294
Merit: 252
September 24, 2011, 01:52:02 PM
All of this bickering can boil down to one central difference between us. You build your system of ethics up from utilitarian principles, while we build ours from deontological ones. Unless one side can find some way to convince the other that their base is fundamentally flawed, all of this is just hand wringing.
Activity: 504
Elder Crypto God
September 24, 2011, 01:48:25 PM
Juggling knives isn't ok but other risky behavior is, where you draw the line is just based on some subjective gut feeling.

...based on well-reasoned cost/benefit analysis using actual research and arrived at through mass debate and discussion.

As opposed to your liberland, where you just pull "rights" out of your ass and then kill everyone that doesn't agree with them.

Allowing everyone and their mentally unstable mothers to own nukes offers no real benefit, but has tremendous costs of millions of lives or potentially all life... therefore we don't do it.

Allowing a crazy guy to juggle knives on a life raft offers no benefit other than his own entertainment, but could potentially cost the lives of everyone on the raft... therefore we don't do it.

Allowing the open purchase of guns results in a relatively insignificant number of extra firearms related deaths per year, but it allows law-abiding folks to defend themselves on the order of millions of times annually... therefore we allow it.

The problem with cost/benefit is there's no mention of justice. If you can save billions by killing millions, you'll do it. If one guy dying can give his organs to save 10 different people, on the chopping block he goes.
Activity: 154
Merit: 103
September 24, 2011, 01:02:32 PM
Juggling knives isn't ok but other risky behavior is, where you draw the line is just based on some subjective gut feeling.

...based on well-reasoned cost/benefit analysis using actual research and arrived at through mass debate and discussion.

As opposed to your liberland, where you just pull "rights" out of your ass and then kill everyone that doesn't agree with them.

Allowing everyone and their mentally unstable mothers to own nukes offers no real benefit, but has tremendous costs of millions of lives or potentially all life... therefore we don't do it.

Allowing a crazy guy to juggle knives on a life raft offers no benefit other than his own entertainment, but could potentially cost the lives of everyone on the raft... therefore we don't do it.

Allowing the open purchase of guns results in a relatively insignificant number of extra firearms related deaths per year, but it allows law-abiding folks to defend themselves on the order of millions of times annually... therefore we allow it.
Elder Crypto God
September 24, 2011, 12:54:30 PM
What seems sensible to you seems absurd to me.

What seems sensible to you seems absurd to most.

It's a good thing that morality is a popularity contest.

Look at point number 4. Recall the knife wielding juggler on the inflatable raft that we were all stuck on months ago. It just goes to demonstrate how they will (after months of arguing) still continue to defend the most absurd concepts. Are they all missing the common sense gene?

There's nothing absurd about not allowing "risky behavior" to be basis for acting with violence. What you are so keen to leave out is how I pointed out that if we start following that logic that we might arrest all teenage males because they are at a greater risk for committing crimes. That's just as absurd to me. The difference between us is not that both of our views can lead to things the other considers absurd but rather that when I am faced with what you claim is absurd, I don't abandon my principles. You do. Which leaves your world looking very arbitrary and ad hoc. Juggling knives isn't ok but other risky behavior is, where you draw the line is just based on some subjective gut feeling. I don't need to insult you either because I know your argument is weak without being forced to ridicule it.
September 24, 2011, 12:08:25 PM
Look at point number 4. Recall the knife wielding juggler on the inflatable raft that we were all stuck on months ago. It just goes to demonstrate how they will (after months of arguing) still continue to defend the most absurd concepts. Are they all missing the common sense gene?

That's right.  I don't think Hawker and ferg were here for that, so they don't understand how truly circular and idiotic their arguments are.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
September 24, 2011, 11:42:51 AM
September 24, 2011, 08:37:30 AM
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
September 24, 2011, 02:29:59 AM

Then determined bombers will make deals with like-minded farmers, or organize a group of like-minded persons to buy smaller quantites across many vendors and time periods so as to avoid raising the red flags.  It is a fatal conceit to assume that this is the reason that car bombs have reduced in the UK.  It may, or may not, be a contributing factor.  Much more likely is that the effectiveness of UK police in undercover operations has identified those who would pursue such tactics and delt with them already or that the grievences against the UK have either been resolved or overshadowed by the grievences against the US and Israel.  Or just simply that the population of would be bombers still free and alive to do such things has been reduced.  Most likely a combination of all these factors, but corrolation is not causation.

With respect, this is not something we need to debate.  It worked.  Immediately.  The bombers didn't go away and when Libya sent supplies of Semtex they were a nightmare again.  But fertiliser based bombs were dealt with.  

It demeans your logic when you try to ignore facts.  Just saying....

Present your facts, or they didn't happen.

If I do prove to you that regulating the sale of fertiliser has saved lives, do you then accept that it makes sense to regulate it?
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
September 24, 2011, 02:27:43 AM
The key thing is that we have to choose.  The ability to make the decision exists and its a question of what appears most sensible.

You are the one asking other people to accept being killed by nukes, smallpox and fertiliser based bar bombs.  The onus of proof is on you. 

September 23, 2011, 11:48:48 PM
That may or may not be so.  Your statement only afirms the general principle that everyone considers himself to be the 'moderate', and assumes that most people believe as he does.  Most people also assume that a popular opinion is evidence for it's validity.  This has often been proven in error in the past.

I can assure you with a very very high degree of confidence the following two things:

1) Most people would consider what b2c considers sensible to be absurd.
2) Regulating WMDs is better than not regulating WMDs.

Feel free to conduct a public poll. Even here if you want, but that's kind of like asking fans who their favorite baseball team is at a ballpark.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010
September 23, 2011, 11:30:32 PM

That may or may not be so.  Your statement only afirms the general principle that everyone considers himself to be the 'moderate', and assumes that most people believe as he does.  Most people also assume that a popular opinion is evidence for it's validity.  This has often been proven in error in the past.
September 23, 2011, 11:00:11 PM

Elder Crypto God
September 23, 2011, 09:09:22 PM
1. Any person may use mortal violence to defend from any perceived mortal threat, or injurious violence from any perceived injurious threat; and any person may carry mortal weapons at any time.

Are you describing libertarianism or the current state here in the USA?

2. You must make irrational economic decisions based on some arbitrary morality which other people may or may not adhere to.

As opposed to non-arbitrary morality? Like what? From God?

3. To enjoy a reasonable level of safety in your own property, your only choice is to pay a security tax to some private police force and hope they keep a watch on fertiliser producers all over the world, making sure they do background checks on all their clients (though they are not obliged to do so), then checking all produce and people travelling near your territory to see if anyone has a bomb.

As opposed to paying tax to the public police force? At least when private security companies allow Oklahoma City style bombings to happen they'll go out of business instead of just going about business as usual.

You could juggle live grenades in the street as long as the street owner didn't think of prohibiting that

How likely is that though? If I owned a street I'd make sure things like that weren't allowed. Don't like it? Build your own street.

5. Any justice, any justice at all, will always be bought.  The enforcement of that justice will be bought as well.  The wealthier (=strongest) members of society will have access to more powerful justice.

It's amazing you can say this without a hint of irony. Do you think O.J. Simpson would have been acquitted without piles of cash? You're describing the statu quo. At least with competing courts we can refuse to do business with corrupt ones.

6. There will be no stability to one's life; when the terms&conditions of neighbouring property changes in such a way as to become intolerable to you, you must sell and move elsewhere.

That's actually not true. If you own a house and an airport builds next to you, that wouldn't be allowed under libertarianism. Also, it's very likely that few people would buy property without some sort of contract with the surrounding areas.

7. There is no guaranteed minimum access to healthcare, other than what an individual can fully pay for.

That's a bad thing?

8. There is no guaranteed level of safety anywhere, other than what the owner of a property is willing to offer.

Right because everyone under the state's protection is perfectly safe at all times in all places. Murder? What's that? That never happens anymore thanks to the magic powers of the state.
legendary
September 23, 2011, 09:01:43 PM
Okay, now we are getting somewhere.  So human powered melee weapons are valid, whether they are small enough to hide on one's own person or not?  And human powered projectile weapons are questionable, but what about the pump-type pellet rifles? Is there a limit to the size of a human pumped air rifle?  What is the principle that you make this determination upon, or is it simply an arbitrary decision based upon your own opinons?  I assume that a saber or a foil would be acceptable?  What about a hand cranked taser?
It's an arbitrary decision based on my own opinions.  As are ALL other expressions of 'acceptable weapons' in this forum.  The only one that's not arbitrary is the one that follows the law, because everyone knows, or should know, what it is.  Recall - ignorance is not an excuse in the eyes of the law.  The legal definition can be arbitrary too; all that's important is that it is equal for everyone.

That's just it, not all such expressions are arbitrary.  There really are differences between a weapon held in the hand, such as a knife or a handgun, and controlled by a single person and the kind of weapon that is not held in the hand, and is automatic.  The distiction is the precision of use.  The rifle and handgun are valid uses of force only under particular circumstances.  Circumstances that an automatic weapon such as a trap or a mine can't reasonablely determine, because they are just machines.  The trap cannot identify if the intruder is a rapist or a firefighter.  The bomb cannot kill only the target while leaving the bystanders unharmed.  The user of the weapon is responsible for it's actions, regardless of his own intent, and this is why a rocket launcher is tightly regulated in the US while the rifle much less so.  Notice that I didn't say that a rocket launcher was prohibited, because they are not.  Nor are machine guns, tanks, silencers or even explosives.  These dangerous items are regulated, but not to the same degree that you seem to believe is neccessary.  Regulation isn't all or nothing, how it's done also matters.  For example, any citizen can buy a silencer, but must apply for a federal 'stamp' first.  In doing so, they submit to the ATF doing background checks on their character.  If any history or mental illness or violent criminal tendencies show up, they get denigned.  But they don't get denied because they don't belong to the right political group, race, religion or class.  They only get denied based on what they have actually done.  Likewise, anyone who could buy the silencer could by a rocket launcher, with the additional cavet that he has to be willing to show that he has a place to store it that, should it detonate unintentionally, there will be no harm to bystanders or neighbors.  If the person lives alone on a farm, that's easy enough.  If he lives in a city or suburb, he has to have a explosion rated arms locker, something that costs much more to own then the rocket launcher.  But these kinds of collectors actually exist, and they love to show off their collections.  There is a gun range, near Fort Knox in Kentucky, that is rated for destructive devices, and twice a year hosts the largest machine gun and explosives show in America.  Anyone can go there and rent a GE minigun to shoot for a few minutes, if you can afford it.  Flamethrowers and TOW missles are available, for the right price.  And ATF agents are walking everywhere.  No one has ever been shot or killed.  After dark, tracer rounds are fired into the dark at the rate of thousands per minute; and barrels of petrol are lit and vault flames into the night sky.  It's a great time.  Is there any compeling reason that these collectors shouldn't be able to engage in their hobby?  Do they honestly constitute a threat, considering the weapons that they possess cost a small fortune to aquire and use?  Do they deserve to be automaticly treated as potential terrorists for the expressed desire to engage in a risky form of entertainment?  Who are you to decide, particularly arbitrarily?  Shouldn't even the government be expected to follow some kind of principle, and not permitted to regulate personal activities and purchases based on someone's arbitrary decisions?  That would be the rule by law, not the rule of law.

This from a completely un-biased view, lacking any preconceptions about what libertarianism is, what it represents or who might best represent it; of course.
I presume you're being sarcastic - it's sometimes hard to tell in ASCII.

ou presuem correctly.
I did have preconceptions about libertarianism, and debated here to see if my preconceptions were correct or not.  I understand what libertarianism attempts and, repeating myself, I would happily try it out in a small united isolated society.

I do not have any preconceptions about who would best represent libertarianism but, be very assured, I am of the very firm opinion that FredericBastiat and bitcoin2cash absolutely do NOT best represent it - as they present it, it's inherently contradictory.

Well, sure.  Of course it's contradictory.  All ideologies are contradictory if they are taken as absolutes, as are yours.  One can agree that libertariansism is ideal without also believeing theat the ideal is achiveable, or even prefered.  It's iedeal compared to the other ideologies.  In the real world, a tempered ideal is always the result.  The inability to accept and process subtities and contradictions, withut rejection of the concepts being presented, is a sign of inmaturity.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
September 23, 2011, 08:26:53 PM
I lost my train of thought, but no matter. I have a quote that will come to my rescue.

"Law is Justice.

And let it not be said, as it continually is, that the law, in this sense, would be atheistic, individual, and heartless, and that it would mold mankind in its own image. This is an absurd conclusion, quite worthy of the governmental infatuation which sees mankind in the law. What then? Does it follow that if we are free, we shall cease to act?

Does it follow that if we do not receive an impulse from the law, we shall receive no impulse at all? Does it follow that if the law confines itself to securing to us the free exercise of our faculties, our faculties will be paralyzed? Does it follow, that if the law does not impose upon us forms of religion, modes of association, methods of education, rules for labor, directions for exchange, and plans for charity, we shall plunge headlong into atheism, isolation, ignorance, misery, and greed?"

-Frederic Bastiat
legendary
September 23, 2011, 08:22:07 PM
The key thing is that we have to choose.  The ability to make the decision exists and its a question of what appears most sensible.

My second favorite quote is
"Common sense is just common, not sensible"

Also, sorry if this isn't contributing anything of value to the discussion, but, does anyone else feel that these type of frustrating round and round debates that are happening here are the types that usually end up with fertilizer bombs as debate points?

Of course.  Religion an politics are two subjects that are never debated in polite company, because they are unresolvable and invariablely lead to ill feelings among soon-to-be estranged friends.  Trolls love these topics, partly because they are unresolveable.  Never try to engage the trolls into a civil debate, because you are the one who abides by rules of debate and they do not.  A seasoned troll will never acknowledge your valid points, and simply crop them out and ignore them or replace them with strawmen, ad hominim attacks, or simply insults.  While you, with logic and reason on your side, are obliged to acknowledge his valid points, no matter how relevent to the topic.  This is what they live for, it makes them believe that they are "winning".  Any experienced troll will bludgeon you with attacks and burning strawmen, while never admitting their own limited understanding of the topic.  Enlightenment and self-improvement was never the intent.  It's a kind of coping mechanism, I believe.  A deep seeded lack of self-confidence in one's own mental caliber, combined with a primal need to feel superior, leads these kinds of people to engage in online forums where they can get away with such anti-social behavior.  Only the Internet permits it, and they are likely very meek people IRL.  I think it's some kind of, apparently very common, form of sociopathy.  This is AyeYo in a nutshell.  I can count the number of posts that he has made that were relevant to the topic, civil in discource and valuable in content on one hand; and I mean ever.  He is certainly not the only trollish member that is attracted to topics such as this one, but he is my own pet project, that aparently I've been neglecting to check up on for too long.  Ultimately, these trolls are sick in the head, and thus deserve a little patience from the rational adults; which is why they tend to be tolerated far longer on this forum than most.  And much like the guy with turrets syndrome sitting behind you at a football game, it's just best to politely pretend that you can't hear the obcenities.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
September 23, 2011, 07:52:15 PM

My second favorite quote is
"Common sense is just common, not sensible"

Also, sorry if this isn't contributing anything of value to the discussion, but, does anyone else feel that these type of frustrating round and round debates that are happening here are the types that usually end up with fertilizer bombs as debate points?
Activity: 440
September 23, 2011, 07:47:28 PM
Okay, now we are getting somewhere.  So human powered melee weapons are valid, whether they are small enough to hide on one's own person or not?  And human powered projectile weapons are questionable, but what about the pump-type pellet rifles? Is there a limit to the size of a human pumped air rifle?  What is the principle that you make this determination upon, or is it simply an arbitrary decision based upon your own opinons?  I assume that a saber or a foil would be acceptable?  What about a hand cranked taser?
It's an arbitrary decision based on my own opinions.  As are ALL other expressions of 'acceptable weapons' in this forum.  The only one that's not arbitrary is the one that follows the law, because everyone knows, or should know, what it is.  Recall - ignorance is not an excuse in the eyes of the law.  The legal definition can be arbitrary too; all that's important is that it is equal for everyone.

This from a completely un-biased view, lacking any preconceptions about what libertarianism is, what it represents or who might best represent it; of course.
I presume you're being sarcastic - it's sometimes hard to tell in ASCII.

I did have preconceptions about libertarianism, and debated here to see if my preconceptions were correct or not.  I understand what libertarianism attempts and, repeating myself, I would happily try it out in a small united isolated society.

I do not have any preconceptions about who would best represent libertarianism but, be very assured, I am of the very firm opinion that FredericBastiat and bitcoin2cash absolutely do NOT best represent it - as they present it, it's inherently contradictory.

Having said that, I don't presume to be more intelligent than the great philosophers of modern or historic times.  I invite any other libertarian to resolve the contradictions that have been presented here  BUT, again, I'm bowing out for a while to see how the debate develops from here.  It's becoming very repetitive.
Elder Crypto God
September 23, 2011, 07:42:40 PM

Activity: 420
September 23, 2011, 07:36:39 PM
Finally something sensible.  We have the power to decide these things.  We choose to use it to save lives.  That's the "is" and your assertion that we ought not to use the power we have is the "ought."

My puzzle with you has been whether your "ought" is important enough that we can ignore the reality that we don't like being bombed.  So far, is a "no" I'm afraid.  Being bombed is mighty unpleasant and I feel that if we as a society fail to protect ourselves from bombs, life will be nasty, brutish and short.

You have the power to decide to do what you're going to do with your person and your property (and with those you've contracted with). You should not decide for others. That is the very definition of aggression. Go right ahead and start a private society and incorporate your version of rules you want to dictate.

Of course, you'd have to own all of the land and resources in that society (or obtain consent for them) to dictate what types of use may be allowed. However, if you don't have the ownership rights to the land and resources, then you can't regulate. Besides, I don't know of many serfs that would be interested in being subjects of yours, but hey, go ahead and try it and see how it goes.

You ought to use the power only upon those things which you rightfully have claim to.
You ought not to use power to subjugate others to your will, sans aggression.

See the diff?
Pages:
Jump to: