Pages:
Author

Topic: Intellectual Property - In All Fairness! - page 90. (Read 105875 times)

Activity: 440
Merit: 250
September 20, 2011, 03:07:44 AM
Each individual has their own concept of rights and none of them is the "one true concept". Where they conflict, we can debate it or we can fight over it.
Gasp!  Shock!  You're hardly suggesting... m...m...m...MightMakesRight...Huh
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
September 20, 2011, 02:25:36 AM
Is possession of a nuke 'intent equivalent' to the threatening act of pointing a gun at another person?

No, of course not. Anyone that says otherwise is torturing the language. I've already given a list of reasons to own a nuke other than to use outside of self-defense.

Your reasons are not as important as the right of people to defend their lives and property.

Activity: 504
Merit: 252
Elder Crypto God
September 20, 2011, 01:39:17 AM
Is possession of a nuke 'intent equivalent' to the threatening act of pointing a gun at another person?

No, of course not. Anyone that says otherwise is torturing the language. I've already given a list of reasons to own a nuke other than to use outside of self-defense.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
September 19, 2011, 11:33:52 PM
No. It's much worse. Possession of a nuke is akin to constantly pointing a million guns at millions of people simultaneously. Desire to own a nuke is akin to desiring to point a million guns simultaneously at a million people perpetually. Except you must also take note that in the case of the nuke, you need only pull one trigger, as opposed to pulling a million triggers.

Actually, it's even worse. It's akin to putting one bomb each in 100,000 homes, all controlled via a remote control trigger. Actually, it's even worse, due to radioactive fallout. To think that there are people here implying that pointing a gun at someone is worse. And to think that these people are also arguing that a knife in your kitchen drawer is similar.

If you don't understand that, then you you have the logical facilities of a four year old.

If your implying I have the logical facilities of a 4-year old, how about you try this on for size: Let's assume I'm a nuclear bomb engineer. The second I complete my task (the nuke), any one or all of my co-workers automatically have the right to put a bullet in my head (by your logic, it's a threat). That person who killed me, then owns the bomb. The person in closest proximity to him is now the most threatened, so he kills the newest owner and so on and so forth. This continues on forever until there are no owners of nuclear weapons, but then there aren't any people either, except one perhaps. Seems we just got rid of a million people the same as the nuclear bomb.

We can't say that possession directly implies threat. I know I could own a nuke and never want to use it on anyone or anything. My possession doesn't equate to my intent to use. I may want to use the materials to start a nuclear power plant. But that's just me.

Why do you think the chances of the new owner disarming the nuke to be zero? That's the first fallacy of your silly argument.

The second fallacy: Let's say, that it's not zero, but one in one million, for the sake of argument. Why would each successive owner instead not choose to either have nearly impregnable security guarding the nuke, or more likely, simply not advertise it's existence, thus ensuring no further exchange?

The third fallacy: you assume the nuke is never detonated as it changes hands. But consider if it does. In that case, the total death toll is all that died in your scenario plus the toll from its detonation.

I'll leave you to ponder the second and third fallacies on your own. Let's revisit the first fallacy. You seem to be indicating that the chance of disarmament is zero upon each exchange of ownership. Assuming that to have a grain of truth to it, then it follows that increasing law enforcement would increase the chance of disarmament from zero to some higher number, as that is generally the case when law enforcement confiscates a gun from a criminal who is waving it about pointing it at people. Now, I can hear it coming: you're going to say that increasing law enforcement engaging in the act of confiscation will increase the chance of it detonating as the owner strives to protect his ownership of the weapon. However, if we examine the behavior of criminals, (cartels, etc.), we can see that owners of weapons generally don't discriminate between law enforcement or other criminals when they are being subdued - they will threaten use of the weapon in either case. Therefore, it stands to reason that the best course of action is to limit the proliferation of such weapons in the first place.
Activity: 420
September 19, 2011, 10:42:43 PM
No. It's much worse. Possession of a nuke is akin to constantly pointing a million guns at millions of people simultaneously. Desire to own a nuke is akin to desiring to point a million guns simultaneously at a million people perpetually. Except you must also take note that in the case of the nuke, you need only pull one trigger, as opposed to pulling a million triggers.

Actually, it's even worse. It's akin to putting one bomb each in 100,000 homes, all controlled via a remote control trigger. Actually, it's even worse, due to radioactive fallout. To think that there are people here implying that pointing a gun at someone is worse. And to think that these people are also arguing that a knife in your kitchen drawer is similar.

If you don't understand that, then you you have the logical facilities of a four year old.

If your implying I have the logical facilities of a 4-year old, how about you try this on for size: Let's assume I'm a nuclear bomb engineer. The second I complete my task (the nuke), any one or all of my co-workers automatically have the right to put a bullet in my head (by your logic, it's a threat). That person who killed me, then owns the bomb. The person in closest proximity to him is now the most threatened, so he kills the newest owner and so on and so forth. This continues on forever until there are no owners of nuclear weapons, but then there aren't any people either, except one perhaps. Seems we just got rid of a million people the same as the nuclear bomb.

We can't say that possession directly implies threat. I know I could own a nuke and never want to use it on anyone or anything. My possession doesn't equate to my intent to use. I may want to use the materials to start a nuclear power plant. But that's just me.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
September 19, 2011, 08:05:21 PM

Activity: 294
September 19, 2011, 07:04:21 PM
So yes, wanting possession of a nuke means you have to be stopped.  Once you have possession, then the damage is done.  Either you kill your neighbours or you don't - its your call once you have a nuke as you cannot be stopped.

Better get to stopping those states which own nukes, then.
legendary
September 19, 2011, 07:00:32 PM
Um, no they can't.

You have to aim a gun directly at him and be within a relatively miniscule distance to kill him with it.  You can only kill one person at a time with it.

A nuke need not be aimed and it can kill anyone and anything within tens of miles immediately, and anyone and anything within hundreds of miles over time.

Can you make a law that measures intent, and if so, can you determine what to do about it without denying the individual his rights? Pointing a gun at a person can demonstrate intent. How does one point a nuke, as it were?

You can't use a nuke to commit suicide without harming your neighbours.  Suicide is normal (11 per 100k people per year) so if everyone has nukes there will be that many who are likely to use a nuke.  Even if you live in a tiny town of 100,000 people, that means a risk of  11 nukes per year.

So yes, wanting possession of a nuke means you have to be stopped.  Once you have possession, then the damage is done.  Either you kill your neighbours or you don't - its your call once you have a nuke as you cannot be stopped.
September 19, 2011, 06:55:29 PM
Um, no they can't.

You have to aim a gun directly at him and be within a relatively miniscule distance to kill him with it.  You can only kill one person at a time with it.

A nuke need not be aimed and it can kill anyone and anything within tens of miles immediately, and anyone and anything within hundreds of miles over time.

Can you make a law that measures intent, and if so, can you determine what to do about it without denying the individual his rights? Pointing a gun at a person can demonstrate intent. How does one point a nuke, as it were?

legendary
September 19, 2011, 06:44:37 PM
Guns are not an issue.

Of course they are. You complain that you could be killed by a nuclear bomb yet guns can kill you just the same. Like I said, you're not being logically consistent. I'm done arguing with you about this though. I've made my point. Let me know if you have anything new to add.

Facts:

Fact: Somalia has free access to guns.

Fact: The population of Somalia will double over the next generation as it has done over the last generation.

Guns are not an issue.  Nukes and smallpox are.  I don't care if you have a million pistols.  I cannot accept you having 1 nuke or 1 smallpox vial.  Even it you are 100 miles away, I have to defend myself from the nuke or the germs.

Is there anything there you disagree with?

argumentum ad nauseam

So you can't offer a rational argument.

That's fine.  Your position is that we have to wait at home and die of radiation sickness.  Mine is not.  More luck to you persuading people that your position is right.
Elder Crypto God
September 19, 2011, 06:36:37 PM
Guns are not an issue.

Of course they are. You complain that you could be killed by a nuclear bomb yet guns can kill you just the same. Like I said, you're not being logically consistent. I'm done arguing with you about this though. I've made my point. Let me know if you have anything new to add.

Facts:

Fact: The population of Somalia will double over the next generation as it has done over the last generation.

Guns are not an issue.  Nukes and smallpox are.  I don't care if you have a million pistols.  I cannot accept you having 1 nuke or 1 smallpox vial.  Even it you are 100 miles away, I have to defend myself from the nuke or the germs.

argumentum ad nauseam
legendary
September 19, 2011, 06:30:35 PM
Guns are not an issue.

Facts:

Activity: 154
Merit: 103
September 19, 2011, 06:29:05 PM
Guns are not an issue.

Of course they are. You complain that you could be killed by a nuclear bomb yet guns can kill you just the same.

Um, no they can't.

You have to aim a gun directly at him and be within a relatively miniscule distance to kill him with it.  You can only kill one person at a time with it.

September 19, 2011, 06:27:18 PM
Yes.  Facts are universal but opinions are personal.

You already know this so why are acting confused?

At the height of the "cold war" Russia had as many as 16,000. The United States had more than that. This doesn't include the French or Israelis. So thousands being a very rounded value, isn't too far off. Why are we so concerned about the numbers again?
Elder Crypto God
September 19, 2011, 06:26:49 PM
Guns are not an issue.

Activity: 154
Merit: 103
September 19, 2011, 06:25:20 PM
No we don't.

What is it with you and making stuff up?

Can we agree that everyone has the right to their own opinions but that we have to share facts?  

We, meaning the whole world.

If by "whole world" you mean a select few governments, then yes.  And when I say "everyone" I actually mean 4-5 people.
legendary
September 19, 2011, 06:22:04 PM
No we don't.

Can we agree that everyone has the right to their own opinions but that we have to share facts?  

Yes.  Facts are universal but opinions are personal.

You already know this so why are acting confused?
September 19, 2011, 06:19:43 PM
No we don't.

legendary
September 19, 2011, 06:19:09 PM
Guns are not a serious danger.

So says Superman.

Guns are not an issue.  Nukes and smallpox are.  I don't care if you have a million pistols.  I cannot accept you having 1 nuke or 1 smallpox vial.  Even it you are 100 miles away, I have to defend myself from the nuke or the germs.

And you would do the same.  You don't strike me as the usual angst ridden "I hate myself and all White people are guilty exploiters of the innocent wilderness" type.  If you found out I was doing something that could kill you, you'd be on my case in a nanosecond.

Am I wrong about you?

So what puzzles me is that you are not disagreeing and you are not engaging in a logical discussion. I know you must have some logical basis for your argument.  Please stop messing about and offer it.
Elder Crypto God
September 19, 2011, 06:11:38 PM
Guns are not a serious danger.

So says Superman.
Pages:
Jump to: