Pages:
Author

Topic: Interest thread for Eliovp linux build for pandaminer - page 2. (Read 4132 times)

Activity: 53
Merit: 1
hmm struggeling with ubuntu and amd drivers. As soon as the amd driver is installed on my ubunto 16.04 after a reboot I don't get any screen anymore, somebody knows how to fix that? Wink It's the panda miner obv Wink

@Eliovp excited to see your work Smiley
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
Any new status update here? Do you have already a date Eliovp when you start to sell it? Smiley

Shop is as good as done.

Monitor/management is also 99% done.

Working my but off to get this finished Smiley

Any ideas for pricing ?

Let me know this also.

Oh I finally got into the bios  and set machine to boot on power up  which  means the tiny power switch is more of a mute point.

I next need to figure setting for the hdmi  as I am using the   mobo one only  and the gpu one is not active as of now.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
CryptoLearner
Any new status update here? Do you have already a date Eliovp when you start to sell it? Smiley

Shop is as good as done.

Any ideas for pricing ?
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----

Shop is as good as done.

Eliovp, you may want to do some test run from Panda owners just to get iron out any bugs (if any Grin)

legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1293
Huh?

Shop is as good as done.

Activity: 53
Merit: 1
Activity: 431
Merit: 250
Hello!
how to enter the BIOS boot pandaminer?
that would put the switch on when power on ?

enter the BIOS  pandaminer
when you push the start button
Hold on delete key
Activity: 431
Merit: 250
I don't think jstefanop being negative, being frank maybe. He has many valid points and he agrees you deserve credit for YOUR modded ROMs.
With that being said, you're giving misleading information regarding the NIC. Obviously you were able to either find the driver or compile it yourself.
A lspci command should tell you the NIC and yes it's a custom board but not a custom NIC controller.  If all else fails, just use a USB NIC!
So you had to switch from UEFI to legacy...
And perhaps you had to disable the onboard video and use HDMI1 (connected to GPU) to install amdgpu-pro driver... 
All this info will be posted when more people get their PMs....

You do make it sound that it's easy, i never said it's difficult. But you seem to forget that the avarage joe has no experience with *nix based systems..

I'm even willing to zip up the drivers. I don't mind Smiley

Plus that it doesn't change the fact the OS has everything you need to plug and play, monitor, etc.. That is what this is all about. Oh, and not to forget, the roms as well.

Like i was going to ask for a donation/payment whatever you're willing to call it to just have a simple standard ubuntu installation with the correct drivers. No i'm not....
This is much more than that.

Greetings

Although, after recieving a pm regarding the nic issue, i had to test this, i downloaded the latest ubuntu, latest kernel, and yes the nic is perfectly supported on this one Smiley.

So in other words, you can easily install a copy of the latest ubuntu and it'll work.
No you obviously won't have any other drivers configured, like AMDGPU, .. , it'll be full of things you don't really need as a miner, but it'll work Smiley

I'm almost finished with a completely custom copy specially made for pandaminer.
Plug & play, auto flashes gpu's on first boot, you can choose your miner/algo, check stats and sit back and relax Smiley

Greetings!

I'm just ready to make a donation
But I need a completely friendly system
Activity: 111
Merit: 10
I would be interested if the price is reseonable. I am going to be buying some panda miners soon.
legendary
---- winter*juvia -----
I don't think jstefanop being negative, being frank maybe. He has many valid points and he agrees you deserve credit for YOUR modded ROMs.
With that being said, you're giving misleading information regarding the NIC. Obviously you were able to either find the driver or compile it yourself.
A lspci command should tell you the NIC and yes it's a custom board but not a custom NIC controller.  If all else fails, just use a USB NIC!
And perhaps you had to disable the onboard video and use HDMI1 (connected to GPU) to install amdgpu-pro driver... 

You do make it sound that it's easy, i never said it's difficult. But you seem to forget that the avarage joe has no experience with *nix based systems..

Plus that it doesn't change the fact the OS has everything you need to plug and play, monitor, etc.. That is what this is all about. Oh, and not to forget, the roms as well.

Like i was going to ask for a donation/payment whatever you're willing to call it to just have a simple standard ubuntu installation with the correct drivers. No i'm not....

Greetings

Although, after recieving a pm regarding the nic issue, i had to test this, i downloaded the latest ubuntu, latest kernel, and yes the nic is perfectly supported on this one Smiley.

So in other words, you can easily install a copy of the latest ubuntu and it'll work.
No you obviously won't have any other drivers configured, like AMDGPU, .. , it'll be full of things you don't really need as a miner, but it'll work Smiley

I'm almost finished with a completely custom copy specially made for pandaminer.
Plug & play, auto flashes gpu's on first boot, you can choose your miner/algo, check stats and sit back and relax Smiley

Greetings!

fantastic!

So when?

My Panda doesnt like Windows.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'

Greetings

Greetings!

let me know when you have it.

my new 64gb msata arrives today
legendary
Huh?

Greetings

Greetings!

legendary
Huh?

Greetings

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

Ive never heard of any modern NIC that not PCIe based...I understand charging for moded roms, but for a free OS that needs a few configuration changes and some drivers installed is a bit of a stretch.

ill probably buy one of these and ill just post a working linux clone as soon as I get it, or more easily the instructions needed to run it on linux.

Ok, i might have just not been clear enough.

This isn't your average joe NIC, it's a custom main board and it's an integrated one. Not one you can just go and order online.

It indeed is a free OS, very true, but just maybe, it could be completely automated Wink. Perhaps it's even designed for large farms...  Wink

You shouldn't be so negative.

I'm not 100% sure so correct me on this if i'm wrong but i reckon to have seen other posts of you trying to put certain things in a bad daylight when someone "could" make some money... It almost seems like you're a bit jealous Wink

Greetings!

Edit: And no, i haven't always been so "holy" either..
legendary
Huh?
New hardware will always happen, i still own a bunch of 290's from back in 2014, they're still running rock solid.
But i get the point. What could and would be interesting in this story is perhaps the fact that these mx gpu's might be replacable by new gen mx cards. But i'm not very sure about that though. Would be ideal!

This is where a PC is more modular and cost savings come into play if the cards are NOT upgradable. Perhaps the manufacturers could comment on the ability to upgrade the cards.

You can compare this somehow with "antminers", you buy them, you plug them in and let them run and shout.
After a while they get old, you can't replace them, like you can with "single" gpu's. You can however replace them by buying new ones..

That's where the pandaminer story is a bit better.
It will last longer as you will always be able to mine other algo's, no you probably won't be the fastest after a while but you will be able to be profitable none the less.

The bigger difference is the fact that you might be able to upgrade those mx cards Smiley (not yet totally clear, but there is a chance..)

The only fact i do completely agree on is the resale value of regular GPU's, which is a lot better Smiley
Activity: 25
Merit: 0
New hardware will always happen, i still own a bunch of 290's from back in 2014, they're still running rock solid.
But i get the point. What could and would be interesting in this story is perhaps the fact that these mx gpu's might be replacable by new gen mx cards. But i'm not very sure about that though. Would be ideal!

This is where a PC is more modular and cost savings come into play if the cards are NOT upgradable. Perhaps the manufacturers could comment on the ability to upgrade the cards.
legendary
Huh?
Genuinely interested, though I have a few thoughts.

To understand the value of pre-built pre-configured Linux image, one needs to understand how much work is required to get one up and running. I would like to suggest that Eliovp do a simple write-up explaining the difficulties he encountered in getting a Linux OS up and running. A tutorial would be ideal, but it's probably too ambitious to ask for one during this donation round. Moreover, since you're doing a donation round to build a custom Linux image for the Pandaminer, I'd like to suggest that you may as well go the extra mile and build it to a level which turns the Pandaminer into a plug & play appliance. It should gather more steem.

As for the ROMs, I understand VDCC offset / undervolt / overclock stability is very much dependent on the ASIC quality of the 480 chips in the miner.

Questions to Eliovp:
1. How can you guarantee that your ROMs will be stable on any Pandaminer, without knowing what the actual ASIC quality is on them?
2. How do you plan to get the ROMs updated on the GPUs? Automatically by means of a script that runs the first time your Linux OS is loaded? Or manually by providing a tutorial to people who get the full bundle?
3. What fallback options do you have in mind in case of bricked GPUs?
4. Do you also plan to built a miner management interface (maybe web-based) and include it in your Linux build?

Hey TheRider,

Sure thing. Obviously i'm not going to write a tutorial here or write down the steps i had to take to be able to have my setup like i have it right now. It's like you said yourself, the purpose of those thread would be kind of pointless.

You said to go the extra mile and make this plug & play. Well, i already have. It is plug and play. As i've mentioned before, what i've done would be ideal for big farms, they could just place them, plug them in and sit back and relax.

Romwise, yes, you have a point, but that's the thing, assuming the gpu's they deliver with the PM are all the same, i added a global vddc offset, so in other words, the voltage controller will still calculate what the gpu needs "volt wise". The only difference is that it starts calculating from a lower starting point. I didn't drop the power to hard just to be sure that it remains stable (-31mV).
And so far so good, after a week, still rock solid.

1. I don't need to know the asic quality, i'm pretty sure they will remain stable. And if you do happen to have one that can't handle it (which i highly doubt) just send me a pm with the original rom (so i know you have one) and i will change it. Smiley
2. Good question. Second question here will probably be the answer. I can automate this without the chance of bricking them. Trust me, i can Smiley.
3. The only way "in this case" to brick them is if someone would flash a faulthy rom or completely different one. If you stick with the one i offer, this won't happen.
4. Yes.

Sorry, this may be slightly more tangential for this thread....

The RX 500 series will be out later this half, most likely May or June.  The information I read is that the efficiency is supposed to be quite good.  I'm curious to see the price and throughput of these "next gen" cards.  This next card release gives me pause on buying a Panda based off of RX400s.  I understand that HBM2-based Vega cards will be prolly 250/300W cards. 

Greetings.
Activity: 615
Merit: 500
Sorry, this may be slightly more tangential for this thread....

The RX 500 series will be out later this half, most likely May or June.  The information I read is that the efficiency is supposed to be quite good.  I'm curious to see the price and throughput of these "next gen" cards.  This next card release gives me pause on buying a Panda based off of RX400s.  I understand that HBM2-based Vega cards will be prolly 250/300W cards. 
legendary
---- winter*juvia -----
I would possibly be interested in a group buy.  Put me down as a solid maybe.

Do they take BTC, or credit only?

I paid mine in BTC

Their site seems down? Sad

I paid mine in BTC via email.

I told them that their website is confusing for international buyers because of the language etc.

Their Chinese web may well be perfect for local domestic ordering but I got confused with the Google translation fast...

So they did me a favor and got the transaction done in email - very fast very well done.

And the guys that did my order and replied my other questions had good written English, so kudos to Panda team.

If I was to advise them.... I will hire a team of International Sales team like Bitmain, Canaan, Innosilicon.... just my 2 cents.

My contacts in China told me that this Pandaminer is getting tons of attention in local market due to recent super coins like XMR and ZEC.

To be fair, I think Panda needs to capture that market fast - first priority.

And let a separate sales and marketing team to do International sales.
Activity: 157
Merit: 100
Genuinely interested, though I have a few thoughts.

To understand the value of pre-built pre-configured Linux image, one needs to understand how much work is required to get one up and running. I would like to suggest that Eliovp do a simple write-up explaining the difficulties he encountered in getting a Linux OS up and running. A tutorial would be ideal, but it's probably too ambitious to ask for one during this donation round. Moreover, since you're doing a donation round to build a custom Linux image for the Pandaminer, I'd like to suggest that you may as well go the extra mile and build it to a level which turns the Pandaminer into a plug & play appliance. It should gather more steem.

As for the ROMs, I understand VDCC offset / undervolt / overclock stability is very much dependent on the ASIC quality of the 480 chips in the miner.

Questions to Eliovp:
1. How can you guarantee that your ROMs will be stable on any Pandaminer, without knowing what the actual ASIC quality is on them?
2. How do you plan to get the ROMs updated on the GPUs? Automatically by means of a script that runs the first time your Linux OS is loaded? Or manually by providing a tutorial to people who get the full bundle?
3. What fallback options do you have in mind in case of bricked GPUs?
4. Do you also plan to built a miner management interface (maybe web-based) and include it in your Linux build?

Pages:
Jump to: