Pages:
Author

Topic: Introducing Apollo II - page 2. (Read 805 times)

Activity: 6
Merit: 2
December 09, 2023, 02:23:36 PM
with a fast CPU to do fast bitcoin block work changes
What do you consider to be a fast cpu for that?

Wondering if I get the full node from futurebit or just the miner addon and build my own full node.

We have relationships with the major pools and will bootstrap all solo nodes directly to them. Any block found by a futurebit solo miner will propagate to the major pools first before the rest of the network.
This would only be true for the full node package right? Or could also do that if we run the addon miner off a non futurebit full node?
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 3406
Crypto Swap Exchange
December 08, 2023, 09:10:05 AM
@jstefanop
The noise level for the ECO mode [less than 40 dba] is good for home miners, but I'm curious to know what the noise levels are on the TURBO mode [especially for using custom settings to get it up to 11 TH/s].
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
December 08, 2023, 06:58:23 AM
We have relationships with the major pools and will bootstrap all solo nodes directly to them. Any block found by a futurebit solo miner will propagate to the major pools first before the rest of the network.
So if you are only selling a total of 50 of these, that 'may' be possible.
If you are selling more than 100 of them, it's not possible.
Bitcoin wont allow 100's of connections by default since that would cause dramatic network performance issues.
No pool in their right mind would allow that either.

If instead you said you setup a transaction/block distribution network like bluematt used to run, for all these apollos, then yes that would be possible.
However, without that, it's not possible what you said.

Our CPU is pretty fast as well and block creation is not a bottle neck.
It is a bottleneck on every CPU.
The question that matters is how long it takes.
e.g. does it include the CPU instructions to dramatically speed it up? (no it doesn't)
Can it average block template generation well under 100ms? (no)

Also a valid block is a valid block, even if it shows up seconds late as long as no other block is found within those few seconds it will be included. 10 min block times were created for reasons like this where even small miners running regular computers can still participate at base layer...
Um, nope, seconds late is too late.
It dramatically increases the chances of an orphan.
Orphans still happen with the large pools every so often, they just don't tell anyone.
Since I have a world wide distribution of nodes and I track/report the block submissions/reorgs that happen in my monitoring, I can see them when they happen.

If the blocks generated by these nodes all say they are solo futurebit nodes, then that will be interesting to see what actually happens ...
legendary
Activity: 2061
Merit: 1388
December 02, 2023, 02:47:06 PM
@jstefanop how 'off the shelf' are the fans?

From the USB sticks you used to sell and the LTC Apollo and the BTC Apollo I have wound up replacing just about every fan over the years.
Probably just bad luck on my end, I don't think the office is THAT dusty, but are the fan(s) in these user replaceable and easily sourceable?

-Dave

It's a custom 80x35mm 7k RPM PWM fan. Its a much more beefier fan that the original Apollo BTC and should last a pretty long time if your running in Eco/Balanced mode...fan runs at about 5-6k RPM in turbo but no where near max.
legendary
December 02, 2023, 02:44:49 PM
Great, giving everyone the chance to lose blocks with ck's solo code, like he does.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.61755036

5 so far, though if anyone found a block during his most recent problem where the solo ckpool kept going for a while, while bitcoin had stopped updating, that would have been another ck block lost ...

At least be sure to point out to your buyers, that you are selling something with a much higher chance of losing a block due to being an orphan, unless they replace the tiny hardware in it with a fast CPU to do fast bitcoin block work changes, and add a distribution of high performance nodes around the world so their blocks are actually seen and not show up seconds late and thus ignored by ALL the pools.

Went to extra lengths to discourage anyone from solo mining directly on the device unless they understand the limitations and risks, they can't enable it without pressing a big red button.

With that being said con has fixed all the bugs you mentioned and we have ensured solo miners have risks mitigated as much as possible compared to the big guys. We have relationships with the major pools and will bootstrap all solo nodes directly to them. Any block found by a futurebit solo miner will propagate to the major pools first before the rest of the network. Our CPU is pretty fast as well and block creation is not a bottle neck.

Also a valid block is a valid block, even if it shows up seconds late as long as no other block is found within those few seconds it will be included. 10 min block times were created for reasons like this where even small miners running regular computers can still participate at base layer...
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
December 02, 2023, 10:26:49 AM
@jstefanop how 'off the shelf' are the fans?

From the USB sticks you used to sell and the LTC Apollo and the BTC Apollo I have wound up replacing just about every fan over the years.
Probably just bad luck on my end, I don't think the office is THAT dusty, but are the fan(s) in these user replaceable and easily sourceable?

-Dave
Activity: 49
Merit: 11
December 02, 2023, 09:47:14 AM
Kano always a crab apple but i guess i do prefer consistency <3

nice work john looks great if this was the first one man oh man what a sight to see. i have considered modifying the 3 v1s using server heatsinks but just cant justify the cost vs hash. im tapped but look forward to watching this progress in this crazy space. i still have futurebit btcs running and an ltc apollo running. i can say these miners just run almost no issues beyond no easy api access perhaps ive overlooked the javascript i dont understand npm and refuse to.
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
December 01, 2023, 10:05:55 PM
Great, giving everyone the chance to lose blocks with ck's solo code, like he does.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.61755036

5 so far, though if anyone found a block during his most recent problem where the solo ckpool kept going for a while, while bitcoin had stopped updating, that would have been another ck block lost ...

At least be sure to point out to your buyers, that you are selling something with a much higher chance of losing a block due to being an orphan, unless they replace the tiny hardware in it with a fast CPU to do fast bitcoin block work changes, and add a distribution of high performance nodes around the world so their blocks are actually seen and not show up seconds late and thus ignored by ALL the pools.
Activity: 1162
Merit: 943
November 30, 2023, 01:21:46 AM
Simply awesome! Can not wait to order this!
legendary
November 29, 2023, 05:18:09 PM

Keeping up with tradition I have to make an announcement post here even though im sure most of you have already heard the news!

www.futurebit.io

Product #5 and the one I have been trying to build since the start. This one probably took a few years off my life, and is about 6 months late due to needing to redesign it not once but 3 times.

5nm ASICs are no joke.

As with everything we do we dont announce or ship until we know we can make them and they are ready. This is a first of many for Futurebit, first time we have nearly caught up to the latest node, first time we have integrated a PSU directly in the box for a completely plug and play and seamless experience, first time we have created a completely in house thermal system capable of cooling 400 watts in nearly the same volume as Gen 1, and a first for creating a modern mass producible aluminum case and injection molded parts.

One of the biggest bottlenecks with the Apollo BTC design was the sheet metal case that took forever to make, and with these have already produced thousands of cases and are just waiting on our thermal system and PCBs.

Should have everything in by end of December and start shipping the Founders Edition in January.

One of the biggest announcements is our revamped OS thats finally releasing the Solo mining feature everyone has been waiting for, and the OS will be released on the original Apollo BTC first in hopefully about a month.

We hope the Apollo II launch finally gives us an opportunity to really focus on software this time around, which we never really had the resources for after the Apollo BTC launch.

The hardware has finally caught up to where it needs to be, but software needs a lot of work to make it a seamless experience for people outside of this forum.

We will also be partnering with Lukes pool and offering a one click BTC address setup, and working with them to finally enable lightning payouts for small miners like the Apollo and others, that will finally end the nearly year long payouts on some other pools (FYI we also got braiins pool to reduce their minimum no fee payout to .005 BTC which is half of what it was).

Im sure many of you have noticed but our efforts and others in the small miner space are finally paying off and people are taking notice. People are starting to understand the importance of self-mining no matter how small, and as censorship attacks mount on the Bitcoin network this will be more important than ever.

Can't wait for the first solo block to be mined directly on an Apollo device after we launch the new OS, it will truly be a dawn of a new era for Bitcoin.
Pages:
Jump to: