Author

Topic: IOTA - page 711. (Read 1473233 times)

legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
December 18, 2015, 05:18:49 AM
@Hueristic, deleted your post for ad hominem.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004
December 17, 2015, 12:52:50 PM
ret
Activity: 264
Merit: 250
December 17, 2015, 12:30:28 PM
Hello.
How and when I can get coins IOTA?
will ICO?
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000
December 17, 2015, 10:36:26 AM
I will also vote for cutting features in order to emphasize core.
Just my 2 cfbs  Roll Eyes
Activity: 763
Merit: 500
December 17, 2015, 10:34:16 AM
( btw: do we have a name for the minimum amount of iota possible? 10^-9 iota if i remember correctly, like satoshi for bitcoin )

nanoiota if i recall correctly.
Activity: 86
Merit: 10
December 17, 2015, 10:23:46 AM
I faced a tough choice. Iota reference implementation code became pretty bloated because of extra things that are not a part of the protocol. One of such things is a mechanism of storing masked notes in the tangle. The implementation uses brainwallet approach similar to Nxt - no data required to be stored locally. It may be good but it doesn't allow to emphasize lightweightness of Iota. Mandatory protocol code is mixed with ad hoc solution code creating a mess that won't help to do the audit. I'll take a day to decide if I should cut-off "unnecessary" code. This will lead to user-unfriendly interface but reference implementation interface wasn't supposed to be used by average Joe anyway.

I approve of this.
IOTA emphasizes lightweightness, so the reference client should be exactly that,
people will come up with their own clients for different use cases, including desktop clients anyway
desktop clients can be bloated, but since IOTA is also made to run on low hardware requirements
the reference client should focus on implementing the protocol with as little fancy stuff as
possible.

But thats just my 2 iotas. ( btw: do we have a name for the minimum amount of iota possible? 10^-9 iota if i remember correctly, like satoshi for bitcoin )
legendary
December 17, 2015, 09:31:53 AM
I faced a tough choice. Iota reference implementation code became pretty bloated because of extra things that are not a part of the protocol. One of such things is a mechanism of storing masked notes in the tangle. The implementation uses brainwallet approach similar to Nxt - no data required to be stored locally. It may be good but it doesn't allow to emphasize lightweightness of Iota. Mandatory protocol code is mixed with ad hoc solution code creating a mess that won't help to do the audit. I'll take a day to decide if I should cut-off "unnecessary" code. This will lead to user-unfriendly interface but reference implementation interface wasn't supposed to be used by average Joe anyway.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1004
December 17, 2015, 07:34:34 AM
IOTA has been accepted into Wanxiang's Blockchain Lab grant programme: http://www.blockchainlabs.org/blockgrant-x-en/
Cong.
IOTA got 4000 USD award.
Activity: 812
December 16, 2015, 09:58:34 PM
Inspired by the dandelion (wishing flower) metaphor as depicted on your site, I'm trying to break out of the BTC paradigm and get a better feel for IOTA.

No blocks, no fees, no mining, no centralization; it's just there after its genesis, ever expanding like some Big Bang or the scattering seeds of a dandelion plant blowing in the wind.

Tech imitates life.

Activity: 763
December 16, 2015, 01:52:03 PM
true, iota has not made me any money yet, but I'll still run a node.
You underestimate the motivational power of an ideology.

Everything has a starting point even Bitcoin. Grin
legendary
Activity: 1225
December 16, 2015, 09:07:59 AM
That's a pretty bad analogy.

It's not an analogy, it's exactly the same situation.

Bitcoin has made many people wealthy enough to not care if they spend $10 or $100 a month to run some nodes.

IOTA hasn't made anyone outside the dev team any money yet.

And, Bitcoin has miners.

true, iota has not made me any money yet, but I'll still run a node.
You underestimate the motivational power of an ideology.
legendary
Activity: 1344
December 16, 2015, 08:48:20 AM
IOTA has been accepted into Wanxiang's Blockchain Lab grant programme: http://www.blockchainlabs.org/blockgrant-x-en/

Wow, excellent congratulation for the 4.000 USD. And look at the compeditors, well done!

CfB: I have a dynamic IP and not a lot of knowledge how to set up an Node. I'm just the average joe. But if there would be some advice "setting up a IOTA-Node for dummies" I can probably help, because it's in my own interest as investor.

They hesitated to give all the grands to ethereum  Roll Eyes
Activity: 1069
Merit: 682
December 16, 2015, 08:40:13 AM

Wow, excellent congratulation for the 4.000 USD. And look at the compeditors, well done!

CfB: I have a dynamic IP and not a lot of knowledge how to set up an Node. I'm just the average joe. But if there would be some advice "setting up a IOTA-Node for dummies" I can probably help, because it's in my own interest as investor.
legendary
December 16, 2015, 08:34:57 AM
----->  db  <-----

My IQ is not high enough to decode this.
Activity: 714
December 16, 2015, 08:12:41 AM
legendary
December 16, 2015, 07:58:31 AM
Bitcoin has made many people wealthy enough to not care if they spend $10 or $100 a month to run some nodes.

And, Bitcoin has miners.

Can't argue on the first half, not enough data.

Regarding miners in Bitcoin, their number is smaller than run nodes. Also half of the miners use lightweight nodes, this caused one of the recent Bitcoin forks. So there is something else that forces people to run full nodes.
Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
December 16, 2015, 07:43:41 AM

And, Bitcoin has miners.
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
December 16, 2015, 07:33:53 AM
TPS is not capped, high load just increases confirmation time.

Could you please elaborate a bit on this. Do you have any rough estimates regarding the relationship between TPS (high load) and confirmation time?
legendary
December 16, 2015, 05:05:03 AM

legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
December 15, 2015, 08:56:33 PM
although running a node without reward (I'm correct in thinking there are no tx fees?) will presumably only be of interest to those who partook in the crowdsale.

Bitcoin nodes don't get tx fees but there are still plenty of them.

Jump to: