Author

Topic: IOTA - page 719. (Read 1473233 times)

Activity: 371
Merit: 250
December 02, 2015, 06:27:46 AM
This is a simple question for Come-from-Beyond, from a grade scale of 1 (doubtful) to 10 (confident) how sure are you that IOTA would be successful? Choose a number from 1 to 10, any other answer not required.  

how could someone answer this question? Crystalball?

And the term "success" can be anything from, working "coin", to price rise, to adoption, to .... i guess you have to define what you mean by successful.

For me this seems not to be a simple question!
Activity: 393
Merit: 297
December 02, 2015, 06:25:20 AM
This is a simple question for Come-from-Beyond, from a grade scale of 1 (doubtful) to 10 (confident) how sure are you that IOTA would be successful? Choose a number from 1 to 10, any other answer not required. 
Activity: 89
Merit: 10
December 01, 2015, 10:06:00 PM
Physicists achieve quantum entanglement at room temperature.

Quantum entanglement at ambient conditions in a macroscopic solid-state spin ensemble.  Science Advances, 20 Nov 2015
http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/1/10/e1501015.full

On-chip zero-index metamaterials.  Nature Photonics, 19 October 2015
http://www.nature.com/nphoton/journal/v9/n11/full/nphoton.2015.198.html
http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/computing/hardware/zeroindex-metamaterials-open-new-possibilities-in-optical-chips

With progress being made daily, it's only a matter of time before some major breakthrough is made in quantum computing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_quantum_computing
legendary
Activity: 1181
Merit: 1002
December 01, 2015, 03:05:45 PM
[...]spending money on a gf is the best choice, IMO[...]

I guess the "a" is used instead of "the" on purpose  Cheesy

(and yes, you may delete this post - no hard feelings)
Activity: 255
Merit: 251
December 01, 2015, 01:28:02 PM
The trolling here is pitiful, but I expected no less from BitcoinTalk.

I figured that if Iota is successful, people would then complain about the crowdsale how they complain about missing the Nxt initial buyin period.

However, it seems the complaining is even starting during the initial 'Pioneer' phase.  Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
December 01, 2015, 01:04:20 PM
Guys, move to a special thread, please.

Bitcatch has a legit concern, unfortunatelly, there is no a way to solve the issue so if he thinks if he should buy iotas or not then it's better to spend money on something else (spending money on a gf is the best choice, IMO). If he asks questions to warn the others - I get such behavior, usually it's caused by the wish to make this world better. In this case I suggest to create a separate thread and post the link here. This thread has already been derailed, let's branch out long convos to dedicated threads.

PS: From now only the link to the dedicated thread is allowed. All other posts will be deleted.
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
December 01, 2015, 01:00:33 PM
There is an easy way to achieve those honorable goals without being accused in cheating, scamming, etc.: use burning instead of classical IPO. Like XCP did.

How would that fund development?
Activity: 53
Merit: 0
December 01, 2015, 12:59:01 PM

But some of them at least don't openly state that they will buy their own coins at the last moment, when there is enough info for them to calculate how much BTC they need to transfer from their left pocket to their right pocket, to get desirable share of their tokens.

One more of these false accusations stated only to make yourself feel useful and you will be perma-banned from this thread. This thread is not even the sale thread of IOTA, but the general IOTA thread which should be focused around the software and community.

As for your false claim: I will decide how much to buy based on a completely different factor. I don't want to become a big IOTA 'whale'. Marc De Mesel can actually back up this, he asked me a month ago how much I would purchase and I told him that I did not want to buy a big amount for myself as I wanted the distribution to be widespread, so the amount I would put in would be largely determined by how much was already bought. To me the distribution of IOTA and long term success is a lot more important than my own holding.

And this bullshit about 'transfer from left to right pocket' is just that, bullshit. All our holdings are personal, not company ones. The funds will go to pay for development of hardware, software and community growth.
There is an easy way to achieve those honorable goals without being accused in cheating, scamming, etc.: use burning instead of classical IPO. Like XCP did.
December 01, 2015, 12:52:27 PM

But some of them at least don't openly state that they will buy their own coins at the last moment, when there is enough info for them to calculate how much BTC they need to transfer from their left pocket to their right pocket, to get desirable share of their tokens.

One more of these false accusations stated only to make yourself feel useful and you will be perma-banned from this thread. This thread is not even the sale thread of IOTA, but the general IOTA thread which should be focused around the software and community.

As for your false claim: I will decide how much to buy based on a completely different factor. I don't want to become a big IOTA 'whale'. Marc De Mesel can actually back up this, he asked me a month ago how much I would purchase and I told him that I did not want to buy a big amount for myself as I wanted the distribution to be widespread, so the amount I would put in would be largely determined by how much was already bought. To me the distribution of IOTA and long term success is a lot more important than my own holding.

And this bullshit about 'transfer from left to right pocket' is just that, bullshit. All our holdings are personal, not company ones. The funds will go to pay for development of hardware, software and community growth.
December 01, 2015, 12:47:53 PM
It's perfectly OK however if the founders buy their token after the IPO.

How to enforce this? Every developer could promise to do so and use a middle man to buy during IPO without you knowing.
Let's distinguish developers and founders:
Let's call a 'founder' a person who has a share in funds collected in an IPO, and a 'developer' - a waged person who has no share in those funds, who will be payed for working on the project by e.g. founders.

You are right.
Crypto IPOs are opaque. We can't be sure how much of their tokens respective founders bought from theirselfs.
legendary
December 01, 2015, 12:44:28 PM
Iota, I am not against your purpose, but any argument against this? You have to admit, that this is a valid point of criticism.
You demand trust in this case. We all know that this is not that easy and not the crypto way.

Correct, it's possible to borrow 1 million BTC. Why anyone would give that much money without collateral for even higher amount is another question, act assuming that I do have 1'000'000 BTC.
December 01, 2015, 12:44:03 PM
founderBTCout = x BTC + founderBTCin
founderBTCsum = founderBTCout - founderBTCin = (x BTC + founderBTCin) - founderBTCin = x BTC (as xeelee said left pocket - right pocket)

and
foundertokens = founderBTCin * allTokens / (x BTC + founderBTCin)
wich becomes more, if more founderBTCin are spent, what doesn't matter, because they will get it back. So - theoretically - if they borrow and put 1 million BTC there, noone gets a shit any more and after they can give them back without a problem.

Iota, I am not against your purpose, but any argument against this? You have to admit, that this is a valid point of criticism.
You demand trust in this case. We all know that this is not that easy and not the crypto way.

I think we already addressed this very complaint on the first few pages of this thread over a month ago. Yes there are ways to cheat, but it would defeat the purpose of the software.
legendary
Activity: 1225
Merit: 1000
December 01, 2015, 12:32:21 PM

How to enforce this? Every developer could promise to do so and use a middle man to buy during IPO without you knowing.
December 01, 2015, 12:30:24 PM
IOTA founders are going to buy their own token at their own IPO, paying unknown amount of BTC to themselfs. They explicitly state it. They don't perceive it as cheating.

I cannot understand why this should be an issue, or even cheating.
Too bad.

founderBTCsum = founderBTCout - founderBTCin = (x BTC + founderBTCin) - founderBTCin = x BTC (as xeelee said left pocket - right pocket)

and
wich becomes more, if more founderBTCin are spent, what doesn't matter, because they will get it back. So - theoretically - if they borrow and put 1 million BTC there, noone gets a shit any more and after they can give them back without a problem.

December 01, 2015, 12:21:57 PM
IOTA founders are going to buy their own token at their own IPO, paying unknown amount of BTC to themselfs. They explicitly state it. They don't perceive it as cheating.
In your world, the public should have the right to invest an unknown amount, but developers should not be allowed to purchase any shares.
It's perfectly OK if a developer participates in an IPO of a project which he will be working on.

And again:
Activity: 763
December 01, 2015, 12:14:05 PM
should be replaced with "to company".
Which consists of themselfs.

company=all employees + all shareholders + all its assets + all its debts as every company does.
legendary
Activity: 1225
Merit: 1000
December 01, 2015, 12:06:18 PM

I cannot understand why this should be an issue, or even cheating.
In your world, the public should have the right to invest an unknown amount, but developers should not be allowed to purchase any shares.
Even if the developers publicly state that they will invest some with their own money, it's still cheating.

Imagine you invent something that could change the world. Would you sell it all to the public without investing yourself?
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1020
expect(brain).toHaveBeenUsed()
December 01, 2015, 12:05:19 PM

and

legendary
December 01, 2015, 11:43:01 AM

I won't argue on this, this goes down to questions like "Does Bill Gates get money back for purchased Windows and Office products?" and I don't have enough info on such cases.
December 01, 2015, 11:41:31 AM

Troll on somewhere else.
Jump to: