Pages:
Author

Topic: IRS sniffing around Coinbase - page 3. (Read 2294 times)

legendary
Activity: 4032
Merit: 4562
You're never too old to think young.
November 22, 2016, 08:30:34 PM
One would have to be stupid to think that trading on a US exchange is safe from the IRS. I would hope people with some common sense planned ahead if they did so.

Hooray for anonymous off-exchange trading.

It's like trying to tax a street hooker who takes her "fee" to buy dope from a street dealer. No names, no banks, no taxes.  Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Cool
legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000
November 22, 2016, 08:27:23 PM
One would have to be stupid to think that trading on a US exchange is safe from the IRS. I would hope people with some common sense planned ahead if they did so.

Most people knew that if you bought bitcoin and then later sold them that you must report that to the IRS.

I don't think that's true at all, that most people realized that. If you bought bitcoin at, say, $250 then sold it for, say, $240 and took a loss, wtf would think they needed to report that?!
legendary
November 22, 2016, 08:24:20 PM
I find the defining by the irs of bitcoin as "property" rather than "currency" more interesting. I've never bought or sold a single thing with bitcoin because I never saw the advantage over fiat. This could get really ugly for bitcoin users if the irs wants to pursue this.
Activity: 196
Merit: 101
November 22, 2016, 08:23:25 PM

Most people knew that if you bought bitcoin and then later sold them that you must report that to the IRS.

However not a lot of people realize that if you buy bitcoins and spent them on something, you must report your profit/loss from the time you purchased them till the time you spent them, to the IRS. In fact, many people had the belief that if you did not interact with fiat you did not need to report your transactions to the IRS, but that is not the case.

Also transactions from people who are not coinbase users but transacted with a business that uses coinbase as a payment processor may now have those transactions handed over to the IRS.
Activity: 268
Merit: 250
November 22, 2016, 08:17:45 PM
legendary
November 22, 2016, 07:51:52 PM
I wonder how many traders have reported profits and losses?
http://fortune.com/2016/11/20/irs-bitcoin-tax-evasion-case/
This is where being a shitty trader (like myself) actually could end up being a good thing. Have you made a fuck-ton of money with bitcoin over the last couple years trading? better look behind your shoulder. What's even more interesting is, the irs treats bitcoin as property not as currency. So, everthing you ever "bought" with btc is supposed to be reported.
Just in case a mod decides to delete this post as it's not related to speculation, you are outayourmind if you don't think this is bearish news for the bitcoin price.
Pages:
Jump to: