Pages:
Author

Topic: Is Bitcoin actually ready to go mainstream? - page 2. (Read 3568 times)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250
There's too much talk about bitcoin going mainstream, clearly that's not happening in near future. The next area where bitcoin could gain ground right now is in the informal economy. I'm not talking about drugs and other illegal stuff so much as stuff like craigslist, used vehicle sales between individuals, all kinds of stuff like that. Bitcoin is ready for mass adoption in that field and if lots of people were to start using it for that type of trade the ecosystem would grow big-time. At that point, maybe THEN it would be ready for more mainstream commerce. I'm planning on starting a thread on this topic.
The problem is, people won't do that with bitcoin until bitcoin is already mainstream. They want to know the money they're getting is "real money".
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1026
★Nitrogensports.eu★
There's too much talk about bitcoin going mainstream, clearly that's not happening in near future. The next area where bitcoin could gain ground right now is in the informal economy. I'm not talking about drugs and other illegal stuff so much as stuff like craigslist, used vehicle sales between individuals, all kinds of stuff like that. Bitcoin is ready for mass adoption in that field and if lots of people were to start using it for that type of trade the ecosystem would grow big-time. At that point, maybe THEN it would be ready for more mainstream commerce. I'm planning on starting a thread on this topic.

For vehicle sales between individuals, people might still prefer cash, unless one of the individuals is actually looking at buying bitcoins as well. I think when people are separated by large distances and are looking to trade over the internet, bitcoin will have a natural fit. Online marketplaces - that's my bet.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1008
No, Bitcoin is nowhere near being ready to go mainstream.

There are many things that need to be improved first like security and privacy,
and of course it needs to start gaining positive reputation.

Most people now think that Bitcoin is the ultimate tool for criminals.
At least that's how the media presents it.

I think bitcoin security and privacy already in number one. Its hard to be hacked since it got the google authenticator protected it and there is so many possible wallet to save your bitcoin so I think its well done. What bitcoin need for now is trust from people out there

Bitcoin is protected by Google authenticator? What are you talking about? Bitcoin is "merely" protected by the supposed irreversibleness of one-way mathematical functions and private/public key authentications. Google authenticator has nothing to do with this, actually.

That is not what I meant. Every exchanger site there will have google authenticator to proof that this bitcoin is will be protected from people if they want to hack some of exchanger site. Of course bitcoin is protected by key, code or whatever it is to block every hacker
Activity: 13
Merit: 0
No people is too ignorant and lazy, and the bitcoin is not technically ready for billions of people.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

I think bitcoin security and privacy already in number one. Its hard to be hacked since it got the google authenticator protected it and there is so many possible wallet to save your bitcoin so I think its well done. What bitcoin need for now is trust from people out there

Bitcoin is protected by Google authenticator? What are you talking about? Bitcoin is "merely" protected by the supposed irreversibleness of one-way mathematical functions and private/public key authentications. Google authenticator has nothing to do with this, actually.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1008

Activity: 154
Merit: 100
Bitcoin Samurai

Activity: 500
It needs a few more killer apps, IMO.

Such as? Bitcoin has all it needs to go 'mainstream' and continue to grow, all we need is people, industries and merchants to get on board and the rest will come naturally. Give it time and we'll get there.

Maybe an insured wallet app that allows easy switching between your fiat bank account and bitcoin? It is still not easy for new users but we are getting there.

With this kind of volatility, people may start using it as their personal trading account.  Grin
I guess we would need more stability before insurance companies step in. Otherwise, the premiums would be very high and could be deal breakers.

Volatility is to be expected with such a new and uncertain technology. It's still essentially taking its first babysteps out in the world and is unsure on its footing but it'll steady eventually. In the mean time volatility is good for speculators and investors getting involved.

Such as? Bitcoin has all it needs to go 'mainstream' and continue to grow, all we need is people, industries and merchants to get on board and the rest will come naturally. Give it time and we'll get there.

Yes bitcoin has everything but merchants and industries are avoiding bitcoin for now because the value of it is still not stable yet. If you were a merchant you would of course only accept fiat because it has a stable value. Thats the main thing why bitcoin could not go mainstream and it wont be in a short time because they value is still fluctuative

Not true. Payment processors protect against this which the vast majority of merchants will and do use. If you buy something that costs $100 the company gets $100 in their bank account (minus the small fee the payment processor takes.
Activity: 336
by this point I will like to clear that...the scam and frauds are mostly run by our own faults.we give owr money to those site just to burn owr money
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1016

Yes bitcoin has everything but merchants and industries are avoiding bitcoin for now because the value of it is still not stable yet. If you were a merchant you would of course only accept fiat because it has a stable value. Thats the main thing why bitcoin could not go mainstream and it wont be in a short time because they value is still fluctuative
Activity: 42
Is Bitcoin actually ready to go mainstream?

Unfortunately no.
Items needed:
Better privacy.
Reverse of centralization trend
Better security(hardware wallets)
Higher TPS(Transactions per second)

Absolutely. Better security is definitely the first in line for me. Storing your cash in an unstable and unprotected currency is too risky.
legendary
Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824
Not at this stage.
Value of BTC is very unstable so mostly people buying it as investment, with idea to sell later with profit.
There are still not to many places where we can buy some digital staff or services, ''big companies'' or payment services still don't accept bitcoin etc.
This situation can change in the future if we, bitcoin users, help with promotion and improving of BTC.
Nothing will change if we just waiting that something happen.

legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1026
★Nitrogensports.eu★

Maybe an insured wallet app that allows easy switching between your fiat bank account and bitcoin? It is still not easy for new users but we are getting there.

With this kind of volatility, people may start using it as their personal trading account.  Grin
I guess we would need more stability before insurance companies step in. Otherwise, the premiums would be very high and could be deal breakers.
legendary
Activity: 994
Merit: 1034
Is Bitcoin actually ready to go mainstream?

Unfortunately no.
Items needed:
Better privacy.
Reverse of centralization trend
Better security(hardware wallets)
Higher TPS(Transactions per second)
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!

Activity: 322

That's what "not ready" means....

Where are you going to get people if 99% of the world can't *use* bitcoin currently? If I was in a small city in China or Africa, heck, even Japan/US there probably wouldn't be a single store that accepts bitcoin. Even if there was 1, people don't like being limited in choices. What if I don't like the coffee in that store?

Activity: 500

legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014
Im actually hopping that it gets delayed as much as possible. We the people that are already within the crypto ecosystem can only but benefit from it being as delayed as possible, who wants to have a lot of people coming in right now? We can benefit from this low price for at least an entire year or more, which im ok with.
Activity: 47
No. For one, while the core and protocol are likely ready, or will be once the blocksize increases, applications need to be created that simplify the experience for end users.

Which gets to point two: even if/when the protocol and attendant apps are all polished and ready for the nainstream, people will need to be efucTed/re educated about the pitfalls, the differences between btc and fiat, security, etc. otherwise the transition from fiat to btc will end up resulting in large scale thefts and losses.
Pages:
Jump to: