Pages:
Author

Topic: Is bitcoin an asset or a currency? - page 30. (Read 3628 times)

Activity: 266
Merit: 1
January 19, 2018, 09:22:58 AM
It's asset but only if used to buy something or exchanged for cash.  The same as something is only an asset if somebody else wants it.  If nobody wants it isn't an asset.   It's not a currency as it isn't widely accepted enough.   
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
A BLOCKCHAIN SOLUTION TO DISRUPT TRADE FINANCE
January 19, 2018, 09:18:39 AM
It acts as both. Because mainly it is a digital currency like fiat currency and you can buy anything in exchange of bitcoin and it also acts as asset because its price fluctuation.
Activity: 200
Merit: 10
January 19, 2018, 09:18:12 AM
For me bitcoin is an asset and a currency in the same time. Why? Because bitcoin can help you to gain profit and the same time you use your bitcoin in online payments.
Activity: 149
Merit: 0
January 19, 2018, 09:12:57 AM
Bitcoin can be define as both asset and currency there is no which is which. Bitcoin as an asset, asset means something that you owns or something that is your property and we all have bitcoin on our own. Bitcoin as a currency, currency in meaning is a system of money general use in a particular country. Bitcoin is a digital currency and it only exist electronically
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000
January 19, 2018, 07:18:14 AM
Bitcoin is both a currency and an asset because the classification of bitcoin falls on both categories a bitcoin is a currency because it is use as a mode of payment for something acquired also bitcoin is an asset because cash or fiat is an ownership called asset as holding bitcoin as an investment will even classified it as an long term investment or asset.

You're right, bitcoin is in both categories. An asset is anything that an invidual can use and that has value and probably bitcoin falls in its definition so I think it can be considered as an asset. While currency is a form of money that can be used in transactions by many and bitcoin also falls in this category. So I guess we dont have an argument whether bitcoin is a form of currency or even an asset. As long as we have bitcoin. And it also depends on how you would treat bitcoin by yourself.
Yes we can consider bitcoin both as assets as well as currency. In current time most of the people are using bitcoin as assets as they know that bitcoin price has high potential and its price will increase too much in future to give me a good profit, but in mean time people are also using bitcoin as currency for buying goods and specially they are using bitcoin for online purposes. In future we can expect the use of bitcoin as online currency will increase more.
copper member
Activity: 448
January 19, 2018, 02:41:11 AM
Yes, bitcoin is a currency.now a days bitcoin use some of event in our regular life.my openion is bitcoin is an asset for my future life.i hope bitcoin change my life style as soon as posible
Activity: 86
December 10, 2017, 03:27:47 PM
For me, bitcoin is valuable asset that has tremendous growth this year. Popular and can i make as alternative to send money to my brother who lived in europe.
Activity: 33
December 10, 2017, 03:18:01 PM
Bitcoin is (or should be) both! No need to exclude anything Wink
Activity: 1568
Merit: 502
December 10, 2017, 03:14:45 PM
Well, for me it is an asset and a currency. It really depends on how one's perceive thing and how they use their bitcoins. Others, sees it as a form of asset and investment as its value continues to rapidly grow and  while some use this as to purchase goods and send money all throughout the world. So, for me as i used  both for bitcoins. I see it as an asset and as a currency. Smiley

Well perspective, but views are quite different as I am strictly think it as commodity. As it have strong, secure and open source back up of Proof of Work.

The thing which you can buy anytime at market rate and sell them at higher rate to get own profit.

But time matters as how much time user can hold it, it will give more returns to him by supporting Bitcoins by HODL, but if user sell them and get certain amount in  fiat, he cannot get it back same or equivalent amount BTC with that amount in fiat, as price is increasing exponentially.

So its completely up to user how they accept bitcoins.
Activity: 364
December 10, 2017, 03:12:33 PM
I would agree if bitcoin is treated as an asset, because for now it will be difficult to ascertain the exact price of bitcoin, the price change happens every second and it is very fast, it will take a lot of parties of country and very big funds to stabilize bitcoin prices around the world. And if that happens then possibility in this world has only one currency, it call bitcoin currency.
Activity: 88
December 10, 2017, 02:55:09 PM
Well, for me it is an asset and a currency. It really depends on how one's perceive thing and how they use their bitcoins. Others, sees it as a form of asset and investment as its value continues to rapidly grow and  while some use this as to purchase goods and send money all throughout the world. So, for me as i used  both for bitcoins. I see it as an asset and as a currency. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
December 10, 2017, 02:41:34 PM
IMO, the answer is quite simple. Just ask those who made investment in Bitcoins this year. 99% of them will say that the want the Bitcoin prices to go up, so that they can profit from it. Then there will be the remaining 1%, who made the investment due to ideological reasons. They may spend a part of their coins. The question is whether you want to trust this 99% or the remaining 1%.
Activity: 448
December 10, 2017, 02:33:13 PM
Bitcoin is an asset because you cannot use bitcoin as a currency because the network of bitcoin is very crowded and because of that, the speed of transactions are very slow and the fees are also high which is not a good thing to know. So bitcoin is just an asset or investment and not a currency.
It’s actually both you can use it for anything if you want use it for your daily expanse so you can because it work same like paper money such as you can buy food, clothes and paying you bills and also it work for online shopping and it’s also an asset if you keep bitcoin save for future it can also help you after some time so bitcoin is full of good advantage’s and it can help you in any shape we need to work hard here and as a result we can get good result.
Activity: 2436
Merit: 343
December 10, 2017, 02:11:38 AM
Bitcoin is an asset because you cannot use bitcoin as a currency because the network of bitcoin is very crowded and because of that, the speed of transactions are very slow and the fees are also high which is not a good thing to know. So bitcoin is just an asset or investment and not a currency.
Activity: 350
Merit: 14
December 10, 2017, 02:09:38 AM

Seems many people treat bitcoin like an asset given how much it's gone up over the last year or so. But some academics disagree with that assessment. If it is to be treated as a currency, it will need to stabilize to be of use.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/24/nyus-dean-of-valuation-says-bitcoin-is-a-currency.html
I think it is more of a currency since the main function of Bitcoin is to be used as a digital cutrency. It is now considered as investment or asset becauae irs price from the market is continuously growing higher than any ither currencies either fiat or other digital currencies. The increase gives its users and investors profit. So that's the idea of it.
Activity: 1274
Merit: 261
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
December 10, 2017, 02:07:14 AM
Bitcoin can be an asset for now but bitcoin is a currency. Buying currencies for any other purpose than buying goods or services with them is speculating. Furthermore with Bitcoin, it's impossible to work out how to assign any value to them. You can get an idea of the real value to you of a physical currency by looking at what it can buy you with it in its country of origin (compared to what you can buy elsewhere with other currencies), interest rates in that country, inflation, and how rapidly the currency base is expanding compared to economic growth. With Bitcoin, how its value should be measured is anyone's guess.

There are factors that give value to a currency and it is not measured by anyone`s guess, how
did you come up with that? Bitcoin can be a currency, but for now it is an asset with value that is
rising fast.
   Bitcoin can not be a currency as long as we need to wait a lot for confirming transactions and
with really high transaction fee`s, it is too expensive for me.
   I think DannaWonder that you wanted to say that Bitcoin can be an asset or currency. What is for
you or me is individual choice, for me is more an asset cause I am not spending it except when I am
investing bitcoins in alt-coins, or new projects.
Activity: 364
December 10, 2017, 02:06:31 AM

Seems many people treat bitcoin like an asset given how much it's gone up over the last year or so. But some academics disagree with that assessment. If it is to be treated as a currency, it will need to stabilize to be of use.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/24/nyus-dean-of-valuation-says-bitcoin-is-a-currency.html
If you hold and let it grow in value, then it’s an asset. If you use it as payment for goods and services or as a medium for exchange, then it’s a currency.
Activity: 284
Merit: 250
December 10, 2017, 01:58:55 AM

This is clearly not a currency, there are no signs. The asset is more similar, people invest to get more, but not everyone is lucky. And as a currency, it must at least be regulated.
Activity: 1176
The OGz Club
December 10, 2017, 01:57:05 AM
Bitcoin is both an asset and a currency. Because many people hold bitcoin for more profit. Bitcoin price increase day by day and assets price also increase day by day. In this case bitcoin is an asset. Besides many people use bitcoin for their daily requirement. In this case bitcoin is a currency. So we can easily say that bitcoin is both of an asset and a currency.
Activity: 182
Merit: 8
NTOK: Tokenize Your Talents
December 10, 2017, 01:56:42 AM
Technically, if it will be a currency, its a long way for bitcoin and other digital currencies to become a mode or medium of exchange in the future. To buy a car, appliances, buy something in grocery stores, pay for some services because of the fact that its price varies. It won't be inappropriate if the one who partakes bitcoin to buy something will increase its price someday somehow. Also in the part of some vendors if the one they receive will decrease its value from then on. Its a benefit for those establishment if the price of bitcoin increases. How about if it does decrease? And I think its value is unpredictable. It could be an asset for someone who holds it. An investment in specific. It is at this moment an investment in general and for it to become a currency, it will take lo of years and arguments.
Pages:
Jump to: