Pages:
Author

Topic: Is Bitcoin "Mainstream" yet? The poll. - page 2. (Read 362 times)

Activity: 61
Merit: 10
January 14, 2018, 01:55:33 AM
Yes definitely most of who we knows should know about bitcoin. But we should also know that they are more people who are skeptical and wary of bitcoins as well as investors hesitant to enter due to the high price.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 10611
January 14, 2018, 01:31:37 AM
there is a big difference between knowing about something and adopting it.
and usually when they use the word mainstream it is followed by the word "adoption" and we are not even close to mainstream adoption although it has started last year.

so far because of the phenomenal performance of bitcoin in a year there has been a lot of talk about it everywhere even on TV. and that is increasing awareness, in other words people know something called "bitcoin" exists. but to know what it really is offering and to invest in/adopt it is another big step.
Activity: 574
Merit: 101
January 14, 2018, 01:12:59 AM
For me Bitcoin is not in the stage of being "mainstream" because many are informed about bitcoin but not all of them will ever consider buying bitcoin. For me Bitcoin will become mainstream if every people has a Bitcoin wallet and they have good knowledge about Bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 3132
January 12, 2018, 12:18:01 PM
I agree that Bitcoin became wide-known but it is still not enough to say that it is mainstream. The only thing that many people know about Bitcoin is that its value has vastly increased in the past year. Unfortunately, many people here are only after money. People want to earn money easily without doing much. I don't understand why people invest in something they don't understand. My relatives bought Bitcoin but they don't believe that cryptocurrencies will replace fiat.
Activity: 462
Merit: 101
BitcoinSN - The Real Bitcoin!!!
January 12, 2018, 11:46:25 AM
No, I don't think so that Bitcoin is in Mainstream even, for now, if you would have asked this question two years back then you should have expected yes from me because Bitcoin was main brand recognition in the whole cryptocurrency market. But today there are many cryptocurrencies are trending which are as valuable as bitcoin in today's world something like Ethereum. Here bitcoin is used only for payment processing whereas there is cryptocurrency which is used for multitasking. Even though bitcoin is popular and it's having the craze in all over the world, I am expecting some cryptocurrency like Ethereum to have the Mainstream in coming months.
Activity: 364
Merit: 123
January 12, 2018, 11:31:17 AM

Simple poll. Question as in topic.

No time limit. Vote changing allowed.

Self-moderated just in case, but I don't intend to use it.

Things to consider:

Brand recognition - you can hardly find anyone who has never heard about Bitcoin. They sure as hell don't know how it works, but they heard about it.

Omnipresent mainstream media coverage - countless number of press hits and mentions, all the financial 'gurus' have talked about it. No one is surprised by this anymore.

Years ago most would define 'mainstream' as widespread merchant adoption, but maybe it just wasn't meant to be...

Vote. Discuss.

I voted yes but I think it greatly depends on your definition. I think next to no one know in the first world has not heard of bitcoin and for that reason I consider it to be mainstream. I do not however believe that it is anywhere near close to being fully mainstream in terms of adoption etc, I believe we have a long way to go in that regard and people just hearing about it and starting to try to understand it is the beginning. Think back to all great technological revolution, there was a period where they were well known but not well used and it took time for people to understand them and get on board.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
January 12, 2018, 11:28:39 AM
Is bitcoin mainstream, meaning average people have heard about. Sure.

Is bitcoin mainstream, meaning average people would consider using it. Meh, I doubt it.
Activity: 2086
Merit: 994
Cats on Mars
January 12, 2018, 11:23:59 AM

Things to consider:

Brand recognition - you can hardly find anyone who has never heard about Bitcoin. They sure as hell don't know how it works, but they heard about it.

Omnipresent mainstream media coverage - countless number of press hits and mentions, all the financial 'gurus' have talked about it. No one is surprised by this anymore.

Years ago most would define 'mainstream' as widespread merchant adoption, but maybe it just wasn't meant to be...

Vote. Discuss.
- Bitcoin is by far the most popular cryptocurrency in the world, . More importantly, it is the cryptocurrency that has gained trust in the eye of the public, so no wonder it is #1 in every cryptocurrency chart.

- There's no doubt that bitcoin is the cryptocurrency that has received the biggest amount of coverage by mass media, and whether is good or bad, bitcoin is always on the headlines, even when people mention other cryptocurrencies, bitcoin always ends up in the corner of every article.

And I voted Yes, but it is really a controversial matter since one could say 'no' it isn't mainstream because it is only being of interest to a very specific public and it isn't ready to use by the general public. To me, one thing is 'mainstream' (everyone has heard of it), and another thing is 'mainstream adoption' or 'mainstream usage'. If we want to put some kind of status or rank, then Bitcoin has gone mainstream and it is now entering other sub-categories.
Activity: 1666
Merit: 565
January 12, 2018, 11:08:26 AM
no, totally no.

Yes, maybe people have heard about it on media or newspaper, but that doesn't mean be maistream.

A lot of people just know the name and nothing more...
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292
There is trouble abrewing
January 12, 2018, 11:05:32 AM
it is getting there, i voted NO but my answer is somewhere in between yes and no.
there are surely a lot of talk about bitcoin but considering things globally i say there are still a lot of people in different countries that have not yet heard of bitcoin. and recognition and coverage and in short "talk" is not enough to call it mainstream adopted.

it is adopted when they invest in bitcoin and start using it.
and i still consider main part of this adoption as when merchants start accepting it.
Activity: 476
Merit: 124
January 12, 2018, 11:04:20 AM
In my personal opinion, bitcoin is not yet mainstream, though it appears so because it is all over social media and news right now. People doesn't understand it fully yet to be called mainstream like the internet and smartphones. Some people fear it because they don't understand it. Mass adoption and daily usage is needed for bitcoin to become mainstream.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1073
January 12, 2018, 10:59:41 AM
I think this is a region thing... In most first world countries Bitcoin is definitely mainstream {based on your criteria} In your

3rd world countries, with less access to mass media and internet access, Bitcoin is still relatively unknown. I visited some of

the African countries last year and I asked around and people there mostly know about M-Pesa. {This was developed before

Bitcoin in 2007}  Wink
copper member
Activity: 658
Merit: 284
January 12, 2018, 10:23:36 AM
Bitcoin is very much mainstream!
But people and other institutional investors are holding back because of the current slow confirmation times of transactions and the high fees which are not suitable for small transactions.
Yes, bitcoin is on the verge of becoming full mainstream because everybody knows about bitcoin.
The only thing left is for the governments everywhere in the world to start accepting bitcoin as a digital store of value like gold.   
Activity: 214
Merit: 100
January 12, 2018, 08:58:26 AM
It's not mainstream yet and probably will never be. First truly mainstream crypto will be TON (telegram's currency), I think. It'll be a hell of a project.
Activity: 70
Merit: 0
January 12, 2018, 08:57:01 AM
I think bitcoin is now mainstream, because more and more people now know that bing has accepted him, and in the near future, maybe bitcoin will replace the current currency.
Activity: 686
Merit: 521
January 12, 2018, 08:26:43 AM
Bitcoin is very much mainstream!
But people and other institutional investors are holding back because of the current slow confirmation times of transactions and the high fees which are not suitable for small transactions.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1078
January 12, 2018, 08:20:13 AM
About less than 1% of the world population uses Bitcoin, and this was achieved in a time span of 10 years. There has been exponential growth in adoption in the last couple of years. If you take the whole world's population/money/assets into perspective, I think still around 1% does seem a considerable number. IMO Bitcoin isn't mainstream yet, but on its way. Hitting $10K, Bitcoin futures/NASDAQ plans to introduce Bitcoin futures this year, there is a steady flow of Bitcoin-related news, both positive and negative from mainstream financial media outlets, IMF chief Christine Lagarde telling central bankers to not ignore Bitcoin, a few countries working on framework to regulate Bitcoin, and the upcoming G20 summit where Bitcoin is going to be a topic of debate. Not mainstream yet, but I guess the adoption phase is shifting from early adopters to early majority.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 2066
Cashback 15%
January 12, 2018, 08:19:27 AM
It's a mixed bag. I'd say that Bitcoin has certainly achieved mainstream awareness. Everyone's heard of it, CNBC and Forbes are shilling it daily, and the banks (GS and JP Morgan) are comparing it to gold.

[...]

I think that pretty much breaks it down. Everyone and their dogs has heard of Bitcoin by now. Alt coiners and cryptocurrency "experts" are all over the place. Blockchain hype is as big as it has ever been.

Nonetheless the actual usage of cryptocurrencies is still in a very early stage. So adoption is far from mainstream.

As far as usage for speculation is concerned, I'd say Bitcoin is beginning to become mainstream though.

I would define Bitcoin to be mainstream once everyone and their dogs has not only heard of Bitcoin, but owns or uses it. Keep in mind that the internet had also reached mainstream awareness long before mainstream adoption.
Activity: 210
Merit: 26
High fees = low BTC price
January 12, 2018, 08:18:36 AM
Yes it is main stream and the transaction fees have made us the laughing stock of the world
and this will rub off on all the other coins too.

$30 just to have 250 bytes of data saved to the block does not look good
next to "We are fighting the banks, Freedom" or the original white paper that
talked about "Virtually free transaction fees"

CPU Wars as the original concept was designed to promote has resulted in us
now having 20,000 miners just to process a mere seven transactions a second
so any developer who is worth is salt is also laughing at us.

We within the community we need to do some serious house cleaning because the
development team who could deal with the miners in seconds are clearly following
there own pockets these days and have become greedy and now the rot has set in. 

Activity: 98
Merit: 10
January 12, 2018, 07:48:40 AM
Yes bitcoin is considered as mainstream however a lot of people I do know does not even know how it functions. All they know is that many scams are being involved because of btc which is pretty sad. But then its their fault for not embracing this innovation. They will soon regret frowning upon the potential of btc
Pages:
Jump to: