Pages:
Author

Topic: Is Bitcoin "Mainstream" yet? The poll. - page 3. (Read 362 times)

Activity: 546
Merit: 100
January 12, 2018, 07:42:29 AM
not really i think, in my country Indonesia there are few people who knew bitcoin, it maybe only 5-10% of population in my country
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
January 12, 2018, 07:40:48 AM
Bitcoin is not mainstream yet and I doubt it will ever be. Mainstream meaning a government recognized currency which is widely accepted for daily expenses and also bears the assurance of the respective central bank. Bitcoin is decentralized and its circulation and generation doesn't depend on any government. So it is structurally not fit to become a mainstream currency. It is a store of value and an excellent investment asset, at least for me.
Activity: 72
Merit: 0
January 12, 2018, 07:40:02 AM
I voted Yes. In my opinion when we say mainstream, it is published on local and international media. More people are talking about it, being in the news all the time. I think that is what's happening right now.
Activity: 210
Merit: 10
January 12, 2018, 07:36:53 AM
In my country, almost every day from the newspaper, Internet and other media to see relevant information about the BTC, almost everyone know, BTC, so in my opinion, the BTC is the mainstream.
Activity: 2646
Merit: 686
January 12, 2018, 07:35:32 AM

Simple poll. Question as in topic.

No time limit. Vote changing allowed.

Self-moderated just in case, but I don't intend to use it.

Things to consider:

Brand recognition - you can hardly find anyone who has never heard about Bitcoin. They sure as hell don't know how it works, but they heard about it.

Omnipresent mainstream media coverage - countless number of press hits and mentions, all the financial 'gurus' have talked about it. No one is surprised by this anymore.

Years ago most would define 'mainstream' as widespread merchant adoption, but maybe it just wasn't meant to be...

Vote. Discuss.

Hell ya it is, all the leading media publications now daily publish either it's news or its price's on a daily basis. Our favorite Jamie has to come and say sorry to us for calling it a fraud and then admit it's not a fraud. The father of valuation Buffet has to come out in the open and take a stand against it, I can't blame him, a lot of investment banker's would have been pissed had he taken a positive stand, that all I feel Bitcoins is already mainstream and those who miss out, we'll they just miss out.
Activity: 273
Merit: 18
January 12, 2018, 07:31:39 AM
Its just possible that this is peak bitcoin.

Everyone has heard of it, pre-xmas everyone was positive, now most publicity is negative/bubble etc.

Its becoming obvious that cryptos are useless for transactions other then drugs (and then bitcoin isn't the best choice)

From here I expect a slow decline into obscurity and we'll look back in ten years and wonder how stupid we must have been.
Activity: 294
Merit: 104
✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪
January 12, 2018, 07:27:17 AM
Yes. It is a mainstream type of technology. It is mainstream for those in the know. It mainstream for those who know how to wield it.
legendary
Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561
January 12, 2018, 07:20:34 AM
So, as you say, news about bitcoin is mainstream, but not with its use.

But isn't public awareness enough to be classed as mainstream? You can't reasonably expect majority of global population to jump on it and use it.
Assuming that (almost) everyone has heard about Bitcoin, I could imagine that those who were interested in the concept already got in, and those who aren't - unlikely ever will. If so, then BTC won't get any more mainstream than it is right now.

Looking from other angle - if you accept that Bitcoin shouldn't be viewed as currency but rather as a store of value (or investment, speculative asset etc) then you can't define 'mainstream' as widespread usage and therefore, with that point of view, 'mainstream' is already here.
Activity: 896
Merit: 108
January 11, 2018, 06:45:35 PM
It's a mixed bag. I'd say that Bitcoin has certainly achieved mainstream awareness. Everyone's heard of it, CNBC and Forbes are shilling it daily, and the banks (GS and JP Morgan) are comparing it to gold.

I don't think its usage is mainstream yet, though. Just look at the transaction numbers. All cryptocurrency networks combined still represents a tiny sliver of global value transfer. And it really isn't ready for mainstream adoption yet, given the state of network congestion and the lack of exponential scaling mechanisms. With Rootstock deployed and the Lightning Network close behind, I'm hoping that the network is ready for that kind of scale in 1-2 years.

I voted "No."
The role of media and social media is very influential. My friends have asked me about bitcoin because they have seen my social media account sharing about an ICO project. Some are interested, some are not, some even consider it a fraud. About 15 people in my office, there were only 2 people interested and asked me to guide him to join cryptocurrency.
So, as you say, news about bitcoin is mainstream, but not with its use.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196
STOP SNITCHIN'
January 11, 2018, 06:06:35 PM
Things to consider:

Brand recognition - you can hardly find anyone who has never heard about Bitcoin. They sure as hell don't know how it works, but they heard about it.

Omnipresent mainstream media coverage - countless number of press hits and mentions, all the financial 'gurus' have talked about it. No one is surprised by this anymore.

Years ago most would define 'mainstream' as widespread merchant adoption, but maybe it just wasn't meant to be...

Vote. Discuss.

It's a mixed bag. I'd say that Bitcoin has certainly achieved mainstream awareness. Everyone's heard of it, CNBC and Forbes are shilling it daily, and the banks (GS and JP Morgan) are comparing it to gold.

I don't think its usage is mainstream yet, though. Just look at the transaction numbers. All cryptocurrency networks combined still represents a tiny sliver of global value transfer. And it really isn't ready for mainstream adoption yet, given the state of network congestion and the lack of exponential scaling mechanisms. With Rootstock deployed and the Lightning Network close behind, I'm hoping that the network is ready for that kind of scale in 1-2 years.

I voted "No."
legendary
Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561
January 11, 2018, 05:18:21 PM

Simple poll. Question as in topic.

No time limit. Vote changing allowed.

Self-moderated just in case, but I don't intend to use it.

Things to consider:

Vote. Discuss.
Pages:
Jump to: