Pages:
Author

Topic: Is Bitcoin not decentralized anymore? - page 3. (Read 6919 times)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82
June 18, 2014, 08:27:03 AM
Hash rate is part of the 51% attack problem.

Which isn't a problem, so doesn't need to be fixed.

I think you may be underestimating the dangers of mining concentration.
My latest book-mark: How A Mining Monopoly Can Attack Bitcoin
  • Loss of decentralized trust narrative, inability to differentiate Bitcoin from competing technologies.
  • Double-spends against 6-confirmed transactions are certain to succeed.
  • Selected miner targeting: Pool can reject any selected block found by any competing miner.
  • Selected transaction targeting: Pool can reject any selected transaction and keep it out of the blockchain.
  • Selected address blocking: Pool can block Bitcoin flows in or out of selected addresses.
  • Transaction Differentiation: Pool can deprioritize certain transactions and rely on other miners to mine them unless a (hefty) fee is attached.
  • Fee Extortion: Pool can deny transactions from a particular address unless a (hefty) fee is attached to those transactions.
  • Complete denial of service: Pool can ignore and orphan every single block found by competitors, thus stop all Bitcoin transactions.

I think this sums it up nicely.  There are lots of things a 51% pool can't do, but there are also a lot of non-armageddon type things that it can.  The hacking distributed guys have done a good job laying things out and make a pretty convincing case that bitcoin isn't decentralized if a single entity is at 51%. 

Agreed, because these are the main arguments for decentralized systems.
SRG
Activity: 127
Merit: 100
June 17, 2014, 08:28:58 PM

• Loss of decentralized trust narrative, inability to differentiate Bitcoin from competing technologies.
  • Selected miner targeting: Pool can reject any selected block found by any competing miner.
  • Selected transaction targeting: Pool can reject any selected transaction and keep it out of the blockchain.
  • Selected address blocking: Pool can block Bitcoin flows in or out of selected addresses.
  • Transaction Differentiation: Pool can deprioritize certain transactions and rely on other miners to mine them unless a (hefty) fee is attached.
  • Fee Extortion: Pool can deny transactions from a particular address unless a (hefty) fee is attached to those transactions.
  • Complete denial of service: Pool can ignore and orphan every single block found by competitors, thus stop all Bitcoin transactions.

I think this sums it up nicely.  There are lots of things a 51% pool can't do, but there are also a lot of non-armageddon type things that it can.  The hacking distributed guys have done a good job laying things out and make a pretty convincing case that bitcoin isn't decentralized if a single entity is at 51%. 
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001
Let the chips fall where they may.
June 17, 2014, 08:24:26 PM

I am considering ignoring S4VV4S. They keep insisting that self-regulation can't work, even though it has in the past (admittedly when the community was smaller). A hard-fork to make hash-power concentration irrelevant would also "(loose the) decentralized trust narrative, (causing the) inability to differentiate Bitcoin from competing technologies."

Edit: in the speculation sub-forum it is often said that Bitcoin is either worth $astronomical_number or $0. I don't think I can overstate that a hard-fork to work around mining concentration will tend to make the latter value the more correct one.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658
June 17, 2014, 05:17:11 PM

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502
June 17, 2014, 05:13:11 PM
Yeah, try explaining to Cypriots (after what happened with Neo-Bee) that BTC is safe...
It's already got a bad name here man.

Huh

What does Neo-Bee have to do with mining hash rates?

Even if you could keep mining pools from gaining more than 50% of the hash power, it wouldn't prevent things like Neo-Bee.

If that's what has people concerned about the safety of Bitcoin, then you need to focus your attention on increasing transparency in business, not in regulating mining pools.

And I am working on a couple of projects to promote BTC but I need to feel a bit more confident that I can get people to trust it.
If you know what I am saying.

It's not easy after what happened with Neo-Bee.
People look at me as if I am trying to scam them.

Magically keeping mining pools from gaining more than 50% of the hash power isn't going to make people who are concerned about Neo-Bee trust it.  You're focusing your attention in the wrong direction.

And yes I explain everything, but unfortunately even though technology is not far behind here, the majority of people are...
If you know what I mean....

If people aren't willing to take the time to understand why it's safe, then regulating miners isn't going to fix it for you.

I was referring to the educating people part.....
legendary
June 17, 2014, 05:10:57 PM
Yeah, try explaining to Cypriots (after what happened with Neo-Bee) that BTC is safe...

Huh

What does Neo-Bee have to do with mining hash rates?

Even if you could keep mining pools from gaining more than 50% of the hash power, it wouldn't prevent things like Neo-Bee.

If that's what has people concerned about the safety of Bitcoin, then you need to focus your attention on increasing transparency in business, not in regulating mining pools.

And I am working on a couple of projects to promote BTC but I need to feel a bit more confident that I can get people to trust it.

Magically keeping mining pools from gaining more than 50% of the hash power isn't going to make people who are concerned about Neo-Bee trust it.  You're focusing your attention in the wrong direction.

And yes I explain everything, but unfortunately even though technology is not far behind here, the majority of people are...

If people aren't willing to take the time to understand why it's safe, then regulating miners isn't going to fix it for you.
June 17, 2014, 04:50:17 PM
IMO, if we can't trust miners and hashers to avoid concentrating hash-power, then Bitcoin has failed.

Despite comments up-thread, we are not dealing with complete imbeciles here. If you can handle making sure you don't exceed 12amps of continuous draw on a 15amp circuit; you can handle checking if your pool appears to have a dangerous amount of hash-power.

That's my argument here.
We want a trustless system yet we have to depend that nobody will screw us over.

I do not belive that there should be ANY kind of regulation or central authority, but since the dev-core team might be having difficulty comming up with a solution maybe we can join heads and create a TRUST-LESS system that prevents accumulation of 51% network hashrate.

I know I am being a but pushy here, but I like you have invested in BTC and believe in BTC.
And it's things like things that are holding us back.

Bro, depending on the devs to make a change (which will not make the network any safer btw) is the definition of centralization.

It is up to each and every miner to avoid concentrating their hashpower on any one particular pool

Couldn't agree with you more.
That's why - maybe - a solution can be presented that is decentralized and doesn't allow any one pool or individual to accumulate more than a certain % of hashrate
June 17, 2014, 04:48:15 PM
I think we need to start be figuring out if you are concerned that newcomers don't know that it is safe, or if you yourself are concerned that it isn't safe.

Bro, me personally I am not worried.

Great!  Then there isn't a problem.  Lets not go trying to fix something that isn't broken.  Instead, lets work on educating others so that they won't be worried either.

However, every single person I have talked to about BTC seemed to be stuck to the "dangers" instead of the benefits.
The 51% attack being the biggets.

Then you should start explaining to them why you aren't worried.  Educate them.  If people don't understand something, then they fear it.  The solution isn't to change the system.  The solution is to educate people.

They even asked me: how is it decentralized if one entity can control it?

And you explained to them that one person can't control it, right?

WHat am I supposed to say?

The truth.

That having 51% doesn't allow them to steal your bitcoins.  That having 51% doesn't allow them to create more than 21 million bitcoins.  That having 51% doesn't allow them to change the size of the block reward.  That having 51% doesn't allow them to do very much that they couldn't already do with 49%.  Teach them.  Inform them.  Knowledge is the key to overcoming fear of the unknown.

The core-dev team is working on it?
Are they?

Working on what? I thought we just agreed that it isn't something to be afraid of.

That is an issue that if resolved - IT WILL - make BTC mainstream.

I agree.  A lack of knowledge and irrational fears needs to be resolved.  The resolution is education.

Activity: 605
Merit: 500
June 17, 2014, 04:45:58 PM
IMO, if we can't trust miners and hashers to avoid concentrating hash-power, then Bitcoin has failed.

Despite comments up-thread, we are not dealing with complete imbeciles here. If you can handle making sure you don't exceed 12amps of continuous draw on a 15amp circuit; you can handle checking if your pool appears to have a dangerous amount of hash-power.

That's my argument here.
We want a trustless system yet we have to depend that nobody will screw us over.

I do not belive that there should be ANY kind of regulation or central authority, but since the dev-core team might be having difficulty comming up with a solution maybe we can join heads and create a TRUST-LESS system that prevents accumulation of 51% network hashrate.

I know I am being a but pushy here, but I like you have invested in BTC and believe in BTC.

Bro, depending on the devs to make a change (which will not make the network any safer btw) is the definition of centralization.

It is up to each and every miner to avoid concentrating their hashpower on any one particular pool
legendary
June 17, 2014, 04:41:07 PM
I think we need to start be figuring out if you are concerned that newcomers don't know that it is safe, or if you yourself are concerned that it isn't safe.

Great!  Then there isn't a problem.  Lets not go trying to fix something that isn't broken.  Instead, lets work on educating others so that they won't be worried either.

However, every single person I have talked to about BTC seemed to be stuck to the "dangers" instead of the benefits.

Then you should start explaining to them why you aren't worried.  Educate them.  If people don't understand something, then they fear it.  The solution isn't to change the system.  The solution is to educate people.

And you explained to them that one person can't control it, right?

The truth.

That having 51% doesn't allow them to steal your bitcoins.  That having 51% doesn't allow them to create more than 21 million bitcoins.  That having 51% doesn't allow them to change the size of the block reward.  That having 51% doesn't allow them to do very much that they couldn't already do with 49%.  Teach them.  Inform them.  Knowledge is the key to overcoming fear of the unknown.

Are they?

Working on what? I thought we just agreed that it isn't something to be afraid of.

I agree.  A lack of knowledge and irrational fears needs to be resolved.  The resolution is education.
June 17, 2014, 04:39:25 PM

That's my argument here.

legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007
June 17, 2014, 04:33:39 PM
I had an idea but Danny pointed out that it wont work because there are flaws.
And I accept that.

But something needs to be done.

I, just like you wantg to see BTC go mainstream.

This is holding it back.

Why is people attacking me for asking for this?

People are attacking you because you don't appear to take responsibility for your own actions.

Hash-power is of global strategic importance; a munition if you will. Why would you use it without a modicum of monitoring?

Why do you think it is irrational to stay off concentrated pools, given the extreme risk to the BItcoin network for failing to do so?

This is what I am trying to say.
People are attacking me because I have 720GH at GHash - where I have 1.5TH on another pool, but apparently that doesn't matter to them because I am a bad guy.
I didn't bring GHash to 40PH+ with my 720GH.

That being said, the core-dev team cannot expect every miner to keep an eye on the hash rates when they can jsut sort it out once and for all.

People are greedy.
It has been proven even after GHash had 51%. - EDIT: YES, me included - I didn't do anything because I wasn't worried
They did not move their miners.
The hash rate dropped ONLY after the DDOS attack.

So, do you want a trustless system or not?
Shoudl we trust pools?
Should we trust individual miners to point their equipment elsewhere?
OR
Shoudl we put an end to this now and help make BTC mainstream?

What would you choose?
In the bitcoin community, there is no reason to trust anyone. You just have to hope.

That being said, people can earn trust, like here on the forum.
legendary
June 17, 2014, 04:32:48 PM

June 17, 2014, 04:26:34 PM
And I accept that.

This is holding it back.

People are attacking you because you don't appear to take responsibility for your own actions.

Hash-power is of global strategic importance; a munition if you will. Why would you use it without a modicum of monitoring?

Why do you think it is irrational to stay off concentrated pools, given the extreme risk to the BItcoin network for failing to do so?

This is what I am trying to say.
People are attacking me because I have 720GH at GHash - where I have 1.5TH on another pool, but apparently that doesn't matter to them because I am a bad guy.
I didn't bring GHash to 40PH+ with my 720GH.

That being said, the core-dev team cannot expect every miner to keep an eye on the hash rates when they can jsut sort it out once and for all.

People are greedy.
It has been proven even after GHash had 51%. - EDIT: YES, me included - I didn't do anything because I wasn't worried
They did not move their miners.
The hash rate dropped ONLY after the DDOS attack.

So, do you want a trustless system or not?
Shoudl we trust pools?
Should we trust individual miners to point their equipment elsewhere?
OR
Shoudl we put an end to this now and help make BTC mainstream?

What would you choose?
legendary
June 17, 2014, 04:21:34 PM
And I accept that.

This is holding it back.

Activity: 605
Merit: 500
June 17, 2014, 04:21:09 PM

BRO common man, I told you from yesterday I DO NOT want t get into ANY kind of arguments with you.

WHat I want is the ones responsible for the protocol to make sure that it is safe.
EVERYBODY wants that.

Don't you?

Jesus, why are we still arguing?

I'm not interested in arguing... but I think it's important to understand that the beauty of the bitcoin protocol is that no one can make changes to it, as you seem to believe is possible. All of the existing miners would have to switch to mining that new fork, you can't just make changes on the fly like that
June 17, 2014, 04:20:07 PM
WHat I want is the ones responsible for the protocol to make sure that it is safe.
EVERYBODY wants that.

Don't you?

I'm so confused.

I thought you said that you thought it already WAS safe.

You're just concerned that the newcomers don't know it.

Are they?

legendary
June 17, 2014, 04:16:37 PM
EVERYBODY wants that.

Don't you?

I'm so confused.

I thought you said that you thought it already WAS safe.

You're just concerned that the newcomers don't know it.

June 17, 2014, 04:15:03 PM
GHash does NOT worry me.
They would be stupid to risk a MULTI-million dollar businnes to a 51% attack or double spends when the price of BTC is so LOW (and I am saying this because the price of BTC is peanuts compared to what it will be by the end of the summer).
And they know that.

The mere concentration of hash-power harms the network.

They are going ahead and amassing >50% of the hash-power because they over-estimated the network hash-rate growth when ordering their miners. The reason is that they at least want to make back their investment before the hash-rate climbs any more.

This is short-sighted and will destroy their business. Much like the mortgage-default swaps that caused the 2008 banking collapse.

I couldn't agree with you more.

And I accept that.

This is holding it back.

legendary
June 17, 2014, 04:12:18 PM
GHash does NOT worry me.
They would be stupid to risk a MULTI-million dollar businnes to a 51% attack or double spends when the price of BTC is so LOW (and I am saying this because the price of BTC is peanuts compared to what it will be by the end of the summer).
And they know that.

The mere concentration of hash-power harms the network.

They are going ahead and amassing >50% of the hash-power because they over-estimated the network hash-rate growth when ordering their miners. The reason is that they at least want to make back their investment before the hash-rate climbs any more.

This is short-sighted and will destroy their business. Much like the credit-default swaps that caused the 2008 banking collapse.

Pages:
Jump to: