Pages:
Author

Topic: Is bitcoin now the strongest currency in the world? - page 91. (Read 42207 times)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250
After the events of last week.

I was making this suggestion to some folks yesterday, but they claimed that bitcoin is too small.  Does it matter?

I would compare bitcoin with a $7 stock that has a market capital of 800.000.000 U$S...
It's going up, but any big shot with, say, 100-500k can manipulate the stock considerably and pump it and dump it.
As the market capitalization of bitcoin grows, the currency will be resistant of those kinds of "attacks" and hopefully, the price, although it will continue to move up perpetually, it will slowdown considerably compared to today's volatility.

Anyway, a quicker answer to your questions is NO, it's not even close to being the strongest currency in the world.

But a $7 stock isnt a currency, really, is it.  I mean you need a certain amount of liquidity to be considered true currency, you could argue that bitcoin has that now.  But a stock?
Activity: 37
Merit: 0
I'd say currently bitcoin is one the weakest currencies in the world, but this can (and hopefully will) change in the next couple of years.
copper member
Activity: 1428
Merit: 253
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
Bitcoin isn't the strongest currency for reasons stated, but it is among one of the most valuable.

please define "valuable"?
Activity: 75
Merit: 10
Bitcoin isn't the strongest currency for reasons stated, but it is among one of the most valuable.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1004
Keep it real
Nope, it wouldn't take a whole lot to get the numbers to start going down (compared to other currencies).

As much as it pains me to say it, this is the truth.

Now, it does have the capability to become the strongest, so do take that into account.

I definitely agree that it could become one of the strongest currencies in the world, but right now it's very weak.

I would compare bitcoin with a $7 stock that has a market capital of 800.000.000 U$S...
It's going up, but any big shot with, say, 100-500k can manipulate the stock considerably and pump it and dump it.

^ Good explanation of how I view it, bitcoin will be strong when it can't be moved with a "small" amount of money.
copper member
Activity: 1428
Merit: 253
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

I was making this suggestion to some folks yesterday, but they claimed that bitcoin is too small.  Does it matter?

As the market capitalization of bitcoin grows, the currency will be resistant of those kinds of "attacks" and hopefully, the price, although it will continue to move up perpetually, it will slowdown considerably compared to today's volatility.

Anyway, a quicker answer to your questions is NO, it's not even close to being the strongest currency in the world.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
Annuit cœptis humanae libertas
Nah, gold is. But bitcoin has huge potential, even if limited by the State to "just" the black market.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Nope, it wouldn't take a whole lot to get the numbers to start going down (compared to other currencies).

As much as it pains me to say it, this is the truth.

Now, it does have the capability to become the strongest, so do take that into account.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1004
Keep it real
Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Pages:
Jump to: