Pages:
Author

Topic: Is Bitcoin Worth To Be Currency? - page 19. (Read 15677 times)

Activity: 406
Merit: 104
July 26, 2018, 11:23:12 AM
As a sigital currency yes it is. with the existence of bitcoin and other crypto coins it makes are online payment and transaction become more convenient but as a physical currency i think it is not worth and we know bitcoin primary purpose was to become a digital currency not afiat it would need more regulations and revisions to make it happen though.
Activity: 99
Merit: 0
July 26, 2018, 11:13:40 AM
Discuss about bitcoin and cryptocurrency. For me, this is an interesting topic because bitcoin issues are often the talk, including confusion in many quarters. What is cryptocurrency? What is bitcoin? How does the regulator respond to the development of the current crypto currency? And how is the bitcoin phenomenon going forward?

In its purest form, cryptocurrency or crypto currency is a kind of electronic cash that can be sent directly from person to person (peer-to-peer) without going through financial institutions, or banks. Generally if we are currently sending funds or money to other parties, of course, must be processed through the bank. In this case, the bank serves as an intermediary. Well in this crypto technology, the payment is made directly without an intermediary. Transactions conducted between two parties in a network are then verified through a specific encoding process or cryptography. Well, Bitcoin is one of the existing cryptocurrency types, and is popular. In addition to Bitcoin there are more than a few crypto currencies similar to various names, such as ethereum, litecoin, etc. Many of these crypto currencies are short of devotees until they die one by one. In Bitcoin, if there are transactions of two persons, the other party in the network that can decode or verify the occurrence of the transaction, will be rewarded with bitcoin. This step is known as mining bitcoin (mining).

From what I've learned before, that David Yermack, researcher at the Bureau of Economic Research, New York University (2016) that bitcoin still fails to meet the criteria as a currency. It cites the basic functions of a currency, the medium of exchange, the a store of value, and the unit of account. Of the three criteria, bitcoin does not qualify as money. Yermack doubts that bitcoin can be a currency or means of payment acceptable to today's audiences. I agree with the analysis. If we look at bitcoin volatility in recent years is very high, much higher than the existing currency. This has an impact on the difficulty of calculating the short-term risks of bitcoin. In addition, the exchange rate of bitcoin in the day to day does not correlate at all with any currency in the world, nor with commodities such as gold for example. This makes bitcoin useless in risk management and difficult for the owner to hedge.

Let's look at one by one the money function on bitcoin for more details. First, as a medium of exchange. Bitcoin has no intrinsic value, so its value will depend largely on its usefulness in the economy or consumption. But in reality, today is still very small parties who use bitcoin in everyday life to make various payments. Few traders (merchants) are willing to accept bitcoin. Some countries such as Japan, for example, allow bitcoin to be used as a means of payment (not as legal tender or legal currency). But if we go to Japan, just a few, not to say very little, the store is willing to accept payment with bitcoin. Especially in other countries, including Indonesia. In other words, payments using bitcoins are currently very rare.

Second, as a unit of account. For users or buyers, we certainly look for ease in buying goods. For example, a bowl of chicken noodles cost Rp 25 thousand, a cup of coffee costs Rp 15 thousand. This will make it easy to calculate. But in the use of bitcoin, various problems arise, mainly due to its extreme volatility. The value of bitcoin can vary drastically from minute to minute. This makes it difficult for the seller to determine the price of an item. In addition, there is no uniform or fixed market price associated with bitcoin. I also tried to check on some bitcoin markets around the world, and the prices vary. This disparity, in the theory of market value, violates the law of one price for a currency. Why breaking? Because it is open most likely people to do arbitrage in the same market (buy cheap and sell high in commodities and the same time).

Third, as a store of value. When a currency serves as a store of value, the owner certainly has the expectation that the currency he holds can be obtained easily and can be redeemed for future goods or services as needed. The economic value of goods or services purchased in the future is expected to be equal to the money used or stored now.

From the above analysis it can be seen that Bitcoin, according to Yarmeck (2016), still can not meet the criteria as money because it has the deficiencies as above. Generally people currently hold bitcoin instead of being used as a means of payment, but rather to speculative investment. Bitcoin is also increasingly difficult to accept because it is disconnected with the payment system and banking in many countries, because most authorities in the world forbid it to be used as a means of payment.
This is our case and most scenario in the society of bitcoin. Many people are asking that if would be worthy if bitcoin would be a currency?? I said yes,  for me it is possible that bitcoin would be currency in the future and i will support this statements:

In its purest form, cryptocurrency or crypto currency is a kind of electronic cash that can be sent directly from person to person (peer-to-peer) without going through financial institutions, or banks. Generally if we are currently sending funds or money to other parties, of course, must be processed through the bank. In this case, the bank serves as an intermediary. Well in this crypto technology, the payment is made directly without an intermediary. Transactions conducted between two parties in a network are then verified through a specific encoding process or cryptography. Well, Bitcoin is one of the existing cryptocurrency types, and is popular. In addition to Bitcoin there are more than a few crypto currencies similar to various names, such as ethereum, litecoin, etc. Many of these crypto currencies are short of devotees until they die one by one. In Bitcoin, if there are transactions of two persons, the other party in the network that can decode or verify the occurrence of the transaction, will be rewarded with bitcoin. This step is known as mining bitcoin (mining).
Activity: 280
Merit: 1
July 26, 2018, 10:08:16 AM
Bitcoin is worthy to be a currency ,because it is already circulating in the internet and use by the holders for payments to those selected establishment that accept bitcoin , and it is used as medium of exchanges in the market.
Activity: 784
Merit: 10
July 26, 2018, 10:02:36 AM
Yes it can be worth as a currency since it has a valure and by iys value that it makes it a precious to the people. Bitcoin can be currency and can me a method of payment through online. And i can see some predictions of it as a currency around the world in the future.
Activity: 448
July 26, 2018, 09:58:22 AM
For me it can be a currency because of the fact that it has a value and its value is so high that it is important to the people of crypto enthusiast and everybody wants to have it, buy and sell it and even trade it to gain profit.
Activity: 124
July 26, 2018, 09:53:08 AM
As far as I think this is a fast-paced, global technology solution. This is the market for investment. To say it is money then I do not agree.
legendary
Activity: 2758
Merit: 1004
PredX - AI-Powered Prediction Market
July 26, 2018, 09:48:08 AM
i can say bitcoin can also consider and worth as currency because of its volatility just like our local or paper currency,bitcoins also faces ups and downs to its value which i think makes the market or the industry rather more stable.Bitcoins may has its lower value but same as the local currency,it may rise its value for a specific span of time.Traders and miners may also considers this factors on when is to invest or not.And bitcoin nowadays are starting to known globally.
Well, I think bitcoin deserves to be a currency. it's just the advantages of bitcoin often in use in comparison with the function. well, you know, that currently the world of investing in the internet, mostly focusing on there bitcoin, and other cryptocurrency.
Activity: 29
July 26, 2018, 09:44:18 AM
With the situation now, the unstable value of bitcoin, i think it is not worth to be a currency yet. It needs stability to be a legit currency. That's just my opinion though.
Activity: 209
July 26, 2018, 08:41:12 AM
i can say bitcoin can also consider and worth as currency because of its volatility just like our local or paper currency,bitcoins also faces ups and downs to its value which i think makes the market or the industry rather more stable.Bitcoins may has its lower value but same as the local currency,it may rise its value for a specific span of time.Traders and miners may also considers this factors on when is to invest or not.And bitcoin nowadays are starting to known globally.
legendary
Activity: 3542
Merit: 1352
Cashback 15%
July 26, 2018, 01:47:09 AM
I think 'worth' is not the correct term but rather 'viable.' There are many other things that was considered a currency due to their value depending on the society. Back then, salt was used as a major form of currency, but looking at it now, is salt really 'worth' something to the people? Bitcoin is, mainly because of speculation but the rest, because of people wanting to send and receive money through it. However in today's society, there's not enough merchants for bitcoin to go around, just like your regular fiat currency. Volatility IMO is what scares people into accepting it, though we have payment processors for that, still we cannot say that bitcoin is effective because we used these intermediaries.
Activity: 1274
Merit: 516
July 26, 2018, 01:29:06 AM
I agree that the volatility still thr biggest obstacle that prevent bitcoin to be used act as currency, when a lot of of people think bitcoin as an asset to make profit then we will have difficulty to make the price stable, if we xan make bitcoin more stable then it will be really good to be used as currency as it's easier to do transaction globally, and when bitcoin is adopted the payment will be in btc not in the form of fiat anymore
Activity: 238
Merit: 4
July 26, 2018, 12:58:20 AM
I believe that bitcoin well be used a good currency. The only requirement I see is that the volatility must be controlled by stable use of the coin. I see great potential to bitcoin due to its wide popularity and availability of exchanges intended for bitcoin.
Activity: 205
Merit: 100
July 26, 2018, 12:36:09 AM
For me, Bitcoin is already a currency. It is a widely accepted currency, we're slowly trying to integrate on using this for daily transactions.

I don't think so. Bitcoin is called a digital currency but that doesn't mean that it can be a real currency that is used in a daily transactions.

Don't get me wrong, Bitcoin can still be used in daily transactions what I am trying to say is that Bitcoin is just usually treated as an asset, or an investment by a lot of people. Instead of using it as a payment, they rather hold for it until the price of it pumps in a good price.

Using bitcoin in daily transactions are won't to be worth because of the volatility of the price, if it's going to stable coin it will be worth and good to use for daily. Bitcoin are having a great potential to have more expensive value, it means bitcoin would be worth it as an investment.
Activity: 239
July 26, 2018, 12:18:13 AM
Yet, bitcoin needs to be regulated and probably handed in order to become a normal currency, also the instability of it matters, so we cannot have the currency which I cannot turn into the same value of products and services every time.
Activity: 34
July 26, 2018, 12:01:50 AM
In my opinion, bitcoin is the best worthy currency that I been seeing til now.
Activity: 1722
Merit: 528
July 25, 2018, 11:52:10 PM
For me, Bitcoin is already a currency. It is a widely accepted currency, we're slowly trying to integrate on using this for daily transactions.

I don't think so. Bitcoin is called a digital currency but that doesn't mean that it can be a real currency that is used in a daily transactions.

Don't get me wrong, Bitcoin can still be used in daily transactions what I am trying to say is that Bitcoin is just usually treated as an asset, or an investment by a lot of people. Instead of using it as a payment, they rather hold for it until the price of it pumps in a good price.
Activity: 76
July 25, 2018, 11:46:00 PM
Activity: 420
Merit: 100
July 25, 2018, 11:12:46 PM
Well the fact that merchandises and other establishments accepts now Bitcoin as mode of payments because they know it has a value and that classifies for it to be a currency since it has a value but it doesn't remove that it is still connected to fiat money which is dollar that determines its value. How many USD per Bitcoin.
Activity: 196
July 25, 2018, 11:01:22 PM
In terms of adoption rate and market cap bitcoin is absolutely best. Bud do you think it has the best technology and infrastructure to support a digital currency? Bottom line is, a digital currency should have global, mainstream adoption and its utility function should be higher than any other crypto out there.
Activity: 30
July 25, 2018, 10:44:04 AM
The instability of the value causes bitcoin not to be worth a currenncy for now.But i think there's a high probability that this can change as worlwide adoption of bitcoin is fast approaching. More and more counties are now legalizing bitcoin and more big companies are now accepting it as payment.
Pages:
Jump to: