Pages:
Author

Topic: Is Buffet right or wrong? - page 10. (Read 10986 times)

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003
March 16, 2014, 02:54:15 PM
example 3
Person a pays x for £100 worth of US$ which is sent to person b. Person B trades the US$ with person x receives  £100.  

Thus US$ is merely a less efficient variant of Bitcoin.

i.e why would anyone pay £350just to hold what is essentially the right to send a transfer.
Essentially, this is exactly what ALL money is.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
March 16, 2014, 02:52:53 PM
He is wrong. Just like he was wrong about Microsoft and Facebook.
Activity: 40
Merit: 0
March 16, 2014, 02:49:07 PM
Bitcoin is essentially a modern  moneygram.

This example is based on bitcoin maintaining price stability which is likely to occur when widely adopted.

example1
Person A pays x for a £100 money gram to which is sent to Person B. Person B trades the money gram to  x  and receives £100. The money gram is now worthless and disgarded. Person x charged £2.50 for holding and releasing the fiat currency.

example 2
Person a pays x for £100 worth of Bitcoin to which is sent to person b.Person B trades the bitcoin with person x  and receives  £100.  Person x retains the bitcoin and is free to trade again.

The only difference between the two is that in example 2 the transfer method is reused in other transaction. i.e the bitcoin continues to be used and owned by new people. Wheras in example 1 the moneygram is destroyed at the end of the transaction. A new one is printed for a new transaction.

So despite the obvious advantage in speed and it being free...what gives the bitcoin any more value than a single money gram? i.e why would anyone pay £350just to hold what is essentially the right to send a transfer.

Any comments?

Pages:
Jump to: