Pages:
Author

Topic: Is Buy and Hold Really the Best Strategy in Crypto? - page 12. (Read 3436 times)

Activity: 2716
Merit: 552
Not the best strategy but It will be best for those who has no courage in trading alts.
Though "just holding" has it's own corresponding risk, but It has a different level of risk than short trading and other investment strategy.
The best investment strategy in crypto depends on your passion and enthusiasm to engage where your interest comes from. When you don't want to work that much to gain profit, then I can say trading is the best and the very least you can do.
Activity: 1708
Merit: 105
not always the purchase has to hold for a long time, if you already feel that the price can be profitable, do the sale and carry out such a strategy if necessary. so the purchase does not always have to hold for a long time depending on the circumstances at that time, because we can analyze with programs that are indeed widely available and do not need to be afraid to make new breakthroughs, because that action can be an important lesson for further action and in the future.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
I won't say that buy and hold can't beaten because if you buy and hold the coin, you need to think and realize how long the coin can increase, and what is your target price to sell. Most people forget that when the price can increase, and they are willing to make the other highest profit, they will not always make it. They still hold the coin, even when the price is at the highest price because they become greedy to chase another biggest profit.

I guess strategy depends on the coin and your own goals.

I have plenty of shitcoins that I held on to all the way down thinking they couldn't go that far into the toilet, but they did. If they approach a decent price again they'll be disposed of without a second thought. For stuff like that I want a profit that's extracted for good.

Timing buys and sells for something I have long term belief in in the attempt to get more of it is a different matter. I wouldn't do it as the chances of winding up with less than I started with are very high.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
I will categorically state that if I had not sat there and done absolutely nothing I would have far fewer coins than I have now. Every time I thought 'hmm, maybe I should make some moves here' they would've turned out to be a heap of shit.

The one thing I wish I had done differently is DCA'd but after that I still would've held only.

People seem to arrive here believing trading or timing the market is the default option and they're guaranteed to 'win'. It should be the polar opposite.
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 1354
Buying and hold are just an alternative of day trading. There are still risks when you buy and hold it for how many days/months/years.
If you also planning to sell what you bought before, it's still trading but it's just really takes too much time, compared to day trading which for me there is much more risk compared to buying and holding it for a long time.
Activity: 1806
Merit: 672
When it comes to the crypto market I personally don't think there is a best strategy out there as it will always depend on the trader doing it and if he has the time to do this. Yeah buy and hold in your results might look like the worst thing to do and there will be no analysis involve but some people here don't have the time to have their own trading style that's why they are doing it due to lack of time and knowledge with TA. Hodlers still have a chance to maximize their profits by just waiting for the right time to buy rather than just buying right away (I'm referring to DCA).
Activity: 67
Merit: 24
Some people say that Buy and Hold is the best strategy and can't be beaten. They hear phrases like “95% of traders lose money” and automatically assume that all trading is bad and markets can not be outperformed.

In my Medium post, I’m going to show you, that holding might not be the best option if you put in a little bit of work. To do that, I compare Buy and Hold returns for 25 coins with several basic trend-following strategies in different time periods (over 3.5 years of data and then a little extra).

READ THE POST HERE!

The source code of strategies and raw test results (CSV) is pushed to my Github.

Let me know what you think! Thanks!

Pages:
Jump to: