Pages:
Author

Topic: Is College Worth it? So many graduates In Debt/Underemployed - page 2. (Read 4883 times)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250
Yes, it's possible to educate yourself..but good teachers make it easier
Yes, it's possible to get a good job without a degree..possible but increasingly difficult
Some professions like law or medicine require degrees, some like engineering or science are close to impossible without a degree
So yes, college is still necessary, but it is essentially a medieval organization that desperately needs to reinvent itself
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
The day I decided to not give a damn about graduation is the day I started doing concrete things which lead me to a better life.

QFT
Activity: 882
Merit: 500
My wife and I always say that my kid can do whatever he wants.  College is great in terms of the social aspects to it, and living away from home for the first time, etc.  And I think you learn a lot, in certain courses.  However kids should do what makes them happy.  You can get by just fine in a technical trade or artist, as long as you know what you're in forand it could be harder to get a job. 

I feel similar about my son, though I will push that he does go to college.
My wife and I are very, very different. She got her bachelor's, then 2 different master's, just finished her doctorate.
I could not bring myself to make it through one year of college and dropped out...too much of a social butterfly. Cheesy
But we are an example of college degrees not making or breaking life goals and careers. My wife is a school superintendent and I own a fairly large insurance marketing organization. Even better than the money, we are both HAPPY in our fields. There is an old saying that is very true, 'If you are happy in your career, you'll never have to work another day in your life'.
To sum up my hopes for my son. More than just telling him to go to college or don't go, I will encourage him to find a career path that fulfill him and teach him to work hard. Loving what one does and hard work will make a person more successful than any plaque on the wall.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007
Live like there is no tomorrow!
Remember that finding a well-paid job will be easier if you've passed a study.  Currently, with the crisis, this is also the fact for normal paid jobs. Atleast here, in The Netherlands.  For an average of even below average job requires some kind of related certificate. If you didn't went to school, you might only find a shitty job if you're lucky (as people from Poland / Romania etc took already these jobs in the Netherlands).
Activity: 546
Carpe Diem
My wife and I always say that my kid can do whatever he wants.  College is great in terms of the social aspects to it, and living away from home for the first time, etc.  And I think you learn a lot, in certain courses.  However kids should do what makes them happy.  You can get by just fine in a technical trade or artist, as long as you know what you're in forand it could be harder to get a job. 
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1131
Main issues as I see it:

1. Offer and Supply rules. If too much people graduate a graduation will worth nothing.

2. Wrong direction, 90%+ wants the graduation to get a good job. For this technical education should be enough, college should be for people up to create jobs.

3. Governments living up for statistics, so to display a population with "high education" they create all sort of useless graduations.

This.
Why is it so hard for people to understand ?
If today 99.9% of people able to have a degree have a degree then the degree is worth nothing among these people.
You are only helping your State propaganda. You are a tool for statistic.
A degree is a paper that is not worth wiping your ass with.

Most of people that I know from studies are stuck to low-paid-jobs and some of them are still unemployed.
The day I decided to not give a damn about graduation is the day I started doing concrete things which lead me to a better life.
Activity: 602
Build your own business empire. Be the boss not the worker. I'm know many billionaires who don't even touch college  and still succeed that started from a poor family.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007
Live like there is no tomorrow!
I definately think it's worth it. Sure, we live in a tough time now (with the economy etc). But, I'm sure, in the long run it will be worth it. Your efforts & money spend on your college will somehow pay itselves back.

(For example when you get promotion above a collegue, because you have a degree and he/she doesn't).
Activity: 756
Merit: 506
I was reading my newspaper and they were even quoting 25% unemployment for medical graduates (Doctor level) of all things.   I happen to have older siblings, and know their friends of friends, and I know plenty of people who graduated with 'good degrees' like engineering and never managed to land a career in their field (and are stuck with lower incomes).  

I don't know if blaming baby boomers or technological unemployment is the case here.  Statistically speaking, there only ever been a certain number of "'Chieftain Jobs" (middle management careers) and it's extremely competitive to land one of those few coveted positions.    You not only have to be good but you have to be the best of the best (or have the connections).
Activity: 798
Time is on our side, yes it is!
College degrees can come in handy when you are self-employed. Gives you a definite advantage in most of the freelancing websites.

I think the issue is also that there will be many people that will have the diploma and not everyone will get the job.  That is happening already from what I've seen.
Basically if you go to school and don't an idea of what you want to do with your future you will just be wasting money.  You could actually be working and getting a head start in the work force.

My thoughts exactly. I never went to university because I did not know what my goals were. No point wasting 3+ years and a whole lot of cash if I wasn't sure that was the direction I wanted to move.

Instead I did work experience for an excellent sales company and the rest was history! School of hard knocks > college in my opinion.

+1

I'm currently learning Artwork and Jewellery through private tuition ( which is actually going to cost my parents less in the long run ) and as people will see in my signature starting up my own business Tongue >_< Must build and create m0ar!

Very nice and a good trade if you ask me.  Good luck with that business of yours I hope business booms for you my friend.
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
College degrees can come in handy when you are self-employed. Gives you a definite advantage in most of the freelancing websites.
Activity: 280
time
It depends on the situation and what you want to be.
You won't find a (real) doctor without a college degree.  Cheesy

I don't know there was this guy selling gills in the street the other day that seemed pretty legit.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
It depends on the situation and what you want to be.
You won't find a (real) doctor without a college degree.  Cheesy
Activity: 78
Merit: 10
If you want to be a surgeon, then going to college is your only choice. If you want to be a programmer or an entrepreneur then college is most likely going to be a waste. Then there are jobs which are kind of in the middle of the two extremes like a scientist for example where a college education is recommended but is not mandatory.
Activity: 280
time
Yes for the majority, no for anybody with a brain in their skull.
Activity: 39
Merit: 0
Study is very important to stand up on your own foot.So college is good to gain some knowldge.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
Basically if you go to school and don't an idea of what you want to do with your future you will just be wasting money.  You could actually be working and getting a head start in the work force.

My thoughts exactly. I never went to university because I did not know what my goals were. No point wasting 3+ years and a whole lot of cash if I wasn't sure that was the direction I wanted to move.

Instead I did work experience for an excellent sales company and the rest was history! School of hard knocks > college in my opinion.

+1

I'm currently learning Artwork and Jewellery through private tuition ( which is actually going to cost my parents less in the long run ) and as people will see in my signature starting up my own business Tongue >_< Must build and create m0ar!
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
Things you learn from college can be learnt from books and practical experience. Knowledge wise, it is not worth it. From securing a good steady job stand point, college is well worth it. How else can you give an employer confidence that you are as you as you say, against other hundreds of applicants?

The main school is now divorced from society and more powerful.
Basically if you go to school and don't an idea of what you want to do with your future you will just be wasting money.  You could actually be working and getting a head start in the work force.

good for you getting a real skill you can use for a long time to come and you saved yourself a ton of debt.
Pages:
Jump to: