Pages:
Author

Topic: Is it good or bad that Core development is virtually controlled by one company? - page 7. (Read 8152 times)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100
OK, so I'm a newbie who has just been reading a lot and trying to understand things. So here is my opinion.

We may need 2Mb blocks, but it's not urgent, and it may be that in the future we need 4Mb or more.
Most blocks are half empty,

This is false. Here's a chart: https://blockchain.info/charts/avg-block-size (.5 is "half full")
The urgency is pretty obvious: we knew that the number of transactions was growing, infighting about blocksize started over a year ago, and the blocks are hitting the limit, and... And here ya are, and it's a beautiful day. Well. I just don't understand it.

so maybe what we really need are variable length blocks and more efficiency.

Block size is already variable, meaning that blocks with max_block_size of 1MB aren't all 1MB -- that's just the maximum size. In other words, we're not growing the blockchain by 1MB every ten minutes, regardless of the number of transactions.

There is too much "rubbish" in blocks that is not essential to money transfer - people are recording weddings for heaven sake, SigWit doesn't mean that we can't use 2Mb blocks, it just means that if we do, then the storage will be mofre efficient. Please explain to me why we can't implement SegWit in the short term. See what effect that has on transaction processing, and then decide a block size policy for the future.

SegWit won't make the storage more efficient -- it will simply separate it into two warehouses. The amount of stuff to store will be the same.
Like the 2MB blocks, SegWit isn't a permanent solution, it merely kicks the can down the road. In other words, when we hit 1.7 to 2MB blocks, we'll still need a hard fork.
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078
Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

Now provide proof of this or be considered to be the complete idiot liar that you are.

your blind loyalty to blockstream, that distracts you from logic.

So - you have no proof at all and just reply with rubbish.

Thanks @franky1 - you have been REKT by me (and I think by others already).

Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458

Now provide proof of this or be considered to be the complete idiot liar that you are.

your blind loyalty to blockstream, that distracts you from logic.
legendary
Activity: 2744
Merit: 2462
https://JetCash.com
I think you two should get a room. Smiley
Activity: 115
Merit: 4
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
legendary
but blockstream dont want buffer. they dont want room spare for open transactions, they want dominance, they want miners to have premium services and prices to allow transctions.

its not in their roadmap to have a buffer and room for growth.

Why do you spout such ignorant nonsense again and again and again?

You are probably being paid to do so but everyone now is aware of that (so don't expect you are going to continue to get paid for this nonsense for much longer).

i dont get paid.. but you do!

legendary
but blockstream dont want buffer. they dont want room spare for open transactions, they want dominance, they want miners to have premium services and prices to allow transctions.

You are probably being paid to do so but everyone now is aware of that (so don't expect you are going to continue to get paid for this nonsense for much longer).

i dont get paid.. but you do! but nice of you to redirect the attention off your ass kissing of the $55million blockstreamers, shame though, it didnt work
legendary

legendary
OK, so I'm a newbie who has just been reading a lot and trying to understand things. So here is my opinion.

We may need 2Mb blocks, but it's not urgent, and it may be that in the future we need 4Mb or more. Most blocks are half empty, so maybe what we really need are variable length blocks and more efficiency. There is too much "rubbish" in blocks that is not essential to money transfer - people are recording weddings for heaven sake, SigWit doesn't mean that we can't use 2Mb blocks, it just means that if we do, then the storage will be mofre efficient. Please explain to me why we can't implement SegWit in the short term. See what effect that has on transaction processing, and then decide a block size policy for the future.

many have proposed a 2mbsegwit (3.5-4mb real full archival data). that way its 2 birds with one stone.(giving into the segwit while also getting community desire for more buffer space to allow growth)

but blockstream dont want buffer space. they dont want room spare for open transactions, they want dominance, they want miners to have premium services and prices to allow transctions.

without a buffer miners can charge more for transactions. with a buffer people dont need to pay fee's.
the whole fee income strategy blockstream want to impose is not actually needed for 20 years because the blockreward is enough compensation for miners. so this fee debate and twisting bitcoin in favour of higher fee's is a business decision and not a logical code/equipment cost decision
legendary
Activity: 2744
Merit: 2462
https://JetCash.com

We may need 2Mb blocks, but it's not urgent, and it may be that in the future we need 4Mb or more. Most blocks are half empty, so maybe what we really need are variable length blocks and more efficiency. There is too much "rubbish" in blocks that is not essential to money transfer - people are recording weddings for heaven sake, SigWit doesn't mean that we can't use 2Mb blocks, it just means that if we do, then the storage will be mofre efficient. Please explain to me why we can't implement SegWit in the short term. See what effect that has on transaction processing, and then decide a block size policy for the future.
legendary
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
the desire for 2mb is a community need

2mb this year because the community wanted it

the whole community that wants 2mb

the community want 2mb

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
If the XT with 8MB increase can be called an alt-coin, then this segwit/sidechain/LN are all 100% genuine alt-coins. And such a large change without any formal design specification (Just read BIP 14X, those are all terrible documentations without any useful information, just redefine everything. In fact I doubt if anyone have read them, if you happened read them, just tell me where is the witness block structure architecture?  Grin)
Again, false analogy. Would you call Clams an altcoin or would you call it Bitcoin? Because Clams did not start off like most of the alt-coins (forked off of Bitcoin but with a "clean sheet"). They've forked off with the existing balances at one point in time. The only difference between Clams and Bitcoin (from this viewpoint) is that it is not called Bitcoin Clams. Cheesy
Again, do you even know how an altcoin gets created? Segwit has nothing to do with an altcoin; a sidechain could be technically called an altcoin pegged to Bitcoin; LN has nothing to do with an altcoin either (does it have its own blockchain? No.). There is no need to continue this discussion as you obviously don't properly understand the basic concepts of a cryptocurrency.

Someone mentioned: Respect to Satoshi writings is essential, not because he is a god or something but because that's what we were all offered and put our money and effort for believing in it. We did not put our money and mining rigs to construct infrastructure for running segwit/sidechain/LN
Go ahead, download the first version of Bitcoin and run that. You didn't put a considerable amount of money in anything as it is clearly demonstrated that there isn't much of it behind the people that are doing this.

Update: Corections.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
Any non-satoshi white paper design, e.g. segwit, side chain, LN, they are all alt-coins, because they know that alt-coin will never succeed alone, they try to become parasite on the main blockchain, or even morph the main chain by slowly changing its architecture
-snip-
In fact there is no way to stop this kind of parasitic chain from appearing, so the mission of core devs should be defending the blockchain from being polluted, not becoming the parasite and leech the value from blockchain
Your post might seem correct to the average user, sorry, but you have no idea what you're talking about. You're putting a change in the Merke tree(s), sidechains and LN in the same bag. You're comparing the incomparable and calling them all altcoins (if I understood your post correctly)? You're trying to say that the 'satoshi white paper design' is the only and perfect design that should be included in/to Bitcoin? Appeal to authority? This must be a bad joke. Let's start:
1) Segwit has nothing to do with sidechains or LN as a concept (even though it carries necessary changes for LN).
2) Any altcoin could be a sidechain to Bitcoin with two-way peg and this has a wast amount of use cases; sidechain != LN
3) LN, being a second layer solution that enables two participants a theoretically infinite amount of transaction, is now a bad thing?
4) This has nothing to do with Mastercoin.

If the XT with 8MB increase can be called an alt-coin, then this segwit/sidechain are all 100% genuine alt-coins. And such a large change without any formal design specification (Just read BIP 14X, those are all terrible documentations without any useful information, just redefine everything. In fact I doubt if anyone have read them, if you happened read them, just tell me where is the witness block structure architecture?  Grin)

Someone mentioned: Respect to Satoshi writings is essential, not because he is a god or something but because that's what we were all offered and put our money and effort for believing in it. We did not put our money and mining rigs to construct infrastructure for running segwit/sidechain

LN is another story, I heard that miners don't like it, since it reduce their fee income   Roll Eyes
legendary
he is now riding the community needs coke-tail..
Ha, ha! A good one! Yeah in 21th century nobody wears tailed coats. I'm quoting it for the future use.

"coke-tails".. means exhaust fumes.. it comes from the old analogy of people kissing ass driving/riding behind someone else not watching the road and just following the car infront.. i dont know where you dreamed up anything to do with coats(jackets)
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1068
he is now riding the community needs coke-tail..
Ha, ha! A good one! Yeah in 21th century nobody wears tailed coats. I'm quoting it for the future use.
Activity: 140
Merit: 17
I doubt this. Majority holders are probably not yet aware of this poll. If we make an effort and make them aware and win the poll, then Blockstream might back out again and say "bitcoin is not democracy", "mere winning wont do, you need 90%+" etc.  
You can't expect everyone in the ecosystem to vote on a poll, that is absurd. You try to get as many people as you can and then draw to conclusions. You have the link now, go try and find these 'majority holders' that are against it. As it currently stands there is more than 80% support for Core.
I have created polls on bitcoinocracy before you heard about it. I also know who created bitcoinocracy and what other sites he run. So, u dont need to boast "You have the link now". This type of arrogant and I know everything attitude of Blockstream has forced the community to stand in front of split today and your patron Adam Back is crying on twitter not to leave the minority behind. So, behave properly.

Coming to the point, there needs to be a clear message from Blockstream core that they'd accept the defeat and move to 2mb before we "find these 'majority holders' that are against it". It requires an effort to send the message across as majority holders do not surf bitcointalk or /r/bitcoin anymore. So, we need the confirmation that the effort will be worthwhile to change the arrogance of Blockstream.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
As usual @franky1 you use your "wall of text" approach to try and attack me (as you do with everyone else).

Perhaps you hadn't noticed that we've all noticed this and are not going to respond to your silly posts.

He ain't wrong tho. And your text effects won't change that Smiley
legendary
As usual @franky1 you use your "wall of text" approach to try and attack me (as you do with everyone else).

Perhaps you hadn't noticed that we've all noticed this and are not going to respond to your silly posts.

You are an idiot and everyone knows it.

So keep on making an idiot of yourself (it doesn't bother me).
Pages:
Jump to: