Pages:
Author

Topic: Is it safe to keep all your Bitcoins in one wallet? - page 3. (Read 3575 times)

legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002
Is it safe to keep all your Bitcoins in one wallet in blockchain.info? I have 2FA activated but still.
Yes 100% but if you are not sure restoring or holding your bitcoin wallet in one wallet like blockchain.info you can find some good bitcoin wallet and if there's an bitcoin wallet that based on your country it is really good when yo uare using it , it makes your transaction more faster than other wallets
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1035
Is it safe to keep all your Bitcoins in one wallet in blockchain.info? I have 2FA activated but still.

You are talking about keeping coins in one online wallet. It is mistake.
None online wallet will never be safe enough. If you want your coins are safe, keep them in your cold wallet. In addition, secure it with very good password and copy wallet.dat to at least two external media.
It should be enough.
legendary
Activity: 3094
Merit: 1127
Yes Bro Its 100% Safe But You have to Maintain Full Security Of Your Wallet Like You have to Enable 2FA Verification System Or Other Security Measures Like You have Block Tor Browsers Mainly Used By Hackers....

Its not  fully  safe though  even you  block  tor  connections and 2fa  , all web wallets do have some risk on  lossing   your  bitcoin hence you  dont  have  the posession   of your  private keys  on  your  bitcoin then  for sure   the  risk  of  lossing  it is still there  unlike  on storing  your bitcoin  on a  hardware wallet or desktop  pc  which you have  your private keys  and  could able to retrieve  or get your bitcoins back incase it would  be  lost. Web wallets are  good  only  if  you do  make  fast transactions and  just be sure to store  only  small amounts.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
Yes Bro Its 100% Safe But You have to Maintain Full Security Of Your Wallet Like You have to Enable 2FA Verification System Or Other Security Measures Like You have Block Tor Browsers Mainly Used By Hackers....
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

I'm keepin mine on blockchain.info without 2FA, and didn't have any issues at all, altho I'm keepin small amounts. If you have high amounts of btc, you'd be better off with a cold storage.

Do yourself a favor and please activate 2FA... Especially by announcing it here you make a potential target of yourself.

It is hardly any work at all to activate it and it will really boost the security of your coins.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It is not safe at all, people mostly use multiple wallets of different type to keep all their coins to be safe because if you just keep them in one and if it is an online wallet then you are not 100% safe as there is always a chance of a website to get hacked or something, so you should better keep them in a offline or cold wallet in order to be safe.
legendary
Activity: 3276
Merit: 2442
Nothing is %100 safe. Even if you use a hardware coldwallet, it can always get stolen by someone.

However, you can always reduce your risks to minimum. The biggest risks are using online wallets and using unprotected computers. If you fix those, you are %99 safe. Most people get hacked because they are too reckless about securing their PC's. We live in 2016 and there are still people who use their PC without an antivirus. They deserve everything they got.

You can still reduce risks to get hacked by using multiple wallets but to me that's too much work. 1 wallet is more than enough if you follow simple security steps. Take a look at people who get hacked on Polo or btc-e, all of them them weren't using 2FA. A system like 2FA is just a simple security system yet it is hack proof %100. (unless someone hacks the whole website at least)
Activity: 658
Merit: 501
Hackers please hack me .... if you can :)
If it is big money it should be conserved adequately with the proper secure wallet. Paper wallets if generated offline in an offline computer and safeguarded like they should is the best free option to keep your money safe. If you have some money to spend on a hardware wallet by all means do so.

Many people thought they were secure with wallets like blockchain.info until they found out that they were not secure at all. Better prepare yourself in advance with the proper bitcoin wallet to store your coins in a safe way. Maybe it will look like a difficult thing in the beginning but is not.
Activity: 193
Merit: 100
If it's big money you should keep it on different addresses.
Not easy to lose it but better to diversifie risk.
Activity: 1148
Merit: 500
Yeah, blockchain.info is safe online wallet and operating for many years. But if you're confident at any online wallet then try paper or cold storage. I recommended it for big amounts of coins. Im using online wallet and so far so good and doesnt steal my btc.
Activity: 777
Merit: 1003
This is part of what I was getting at earlier:

If someone hacks blockchain.info and takes the private keys for wallets then it does not matter if they are in multiple wallets or one. I guess maybe a small chance that they only get one of your wallets not both/all.  Tongue

I was just pointing out the hacking scenario, not the site shutting down scenario. But the same thing applies.
Activity: 761
Merit: 606
I am showing up a little late to this thread but a thought is jumping out at me so I decided to post it.

Lets say your online wallet has a super long password and you have perfect 2FA setup on that online wallet.  So great, you go to bed thinking all is well and then you get up and find out the site has been shut down.  Its happened numerous times with major hacks.  Just because YOUR wallet is configured safely, the controlling "host" site can get robbed due to bad protocol.  Now you don't have a site to log into.  I don't want to scare you, just state the obvious.  I can see you are thinking long term so plan accordingly.  Any online site today may not be around in 5 or 10 years.  Take a long term outlook when you discuss storage.
Activity: 303
Merit: 112

Yes, when you store all your coins on a trusted wallet, your coins will be safe for sure. But you stored all your coins on blockchain... I don't know if it's really safe. You should use a cold wallet. Store your coins on a computer without internet connection and without virus and you will be fine, ok?
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
If you store your bitcoin correctly, it does not matter if they are in one wallet or separate wallets - they are all equally safe. If you store them separately, but incorrectly, you can assume that if one wallet can be compromised, others can as well.

However you may want to use separate wallets if you want to have separate identities online - so if someone looks at your transactions it is not immediately obvious that they've come from the same user.
Activity: 1190
Merit: 525
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
No, it's not safe. But it's very boring to have money splitted everywhere. Some money on each wallet... I think the technology should give us more advantages on that way, but the virtual world is very unsafe yet.

If you fear to lose your money, you can can divide your money into different wallets and write all the informations about how much you have on each wallet, links, passwords, etc... So you won't forget about anything. It's just a possibilite...
Activity: 34
Merit: 0

There are a lot of them like Trezor, Ledger, Keepkey etc. You can google about them to read more in depth about them and why they are the best option so far for storing bitcoins.

This cannot be stated enough. A proper hardware wallet that stores you coins offline is well worth the money. Trezors are one of the best investments you can make.
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1598
No. Maybe a cold wallet would be safe but it's still risky. Split your savings into different wallets like me. I have over 20 of them and it feels much more safe.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
If you are asking if it's safe I am assuming you have a nice and considerable amount of bitcoin (at least I think it's considerable to you) and if that is the case the best option in where to store your bitcoins is without a doubt the hardware wallet.

There are a lot of them like Trezor, Ledger, Keepkey etc. You can google about them to read more in depth about them and why they are the best option so far for storing bitcoins.
legendary
Activity: 2226
Merit: 1049
Use multisig. Keep offline.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
Here's a list of steps that you need to take:
1) Don't use Blockchain.info.
2) Do not use online wallets.
3) If you need a quick wallet, then use a SPV wallet such a Electrum, otherwise use a full implementation such as Bitcoin Core.
4) Read this to educate yourself on wallets and better options: [General] Bitcoin Wallets - Which, what, why?

It is not as safe as keeping them in 2 wallets.
If the wallet generation method is compromised, this does not offer you added security at all. The only way that this would truly give a benefit was if you used completely different storage methods (e.g. completely different software, machine and so on).
Pages:
Jump to: