Pages:
Author

Topic: Is it true that strong "social connections" are required for happiness? - page 2. (Read 2451 times)

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

Eventually you'll get tired of "meaningless" sex and get a feeling of emptiness, but sex is still a social experience. Smiley

Would you say that sex is always - or primarily - a social experience? I'd say "maybe not", but intimacy is. Sex can include it or bring it but far from always does. Intimacy usually requires some degree of committed communication.

About the major question re connection(s) and happiness: What about the statistics here? Any studies anybody knows showing the proportion of people who are happy only if they are with others how much of the time and in what kind of relationships? (It sounds fairly involved, one would probably have to define "happiness" in some "measurable" way as well as some rough categories of relationships). A likely first hypothesis might be that most (a majority) are less happy if they are altogether lonely, and fewer and fewer are happy the more isolated they are? Animals make great compations for many people, pointing to companionship with living beings as important. I saw something about a little study of elderly people in nursing homes where they kept a cat and a dog; it seemed to improve their health (the peoples', I mean).

Activity: 255
Merit: 100
I just saw a PBS show about emotional health that claims "social connections" are required for happiness. Do you believe this is true? ...or
Perhaps it is propaganda to undermine the happiness of independent people who don't always require the "emotional support" of others?

What do you think?
Is it true that strong "social connections" are required for happiness?

Sex is way more important!

Now that i agree on Cheesy

Eventually you'll get tired of "meaningless" sex and get a feeling of emptiness, but sex is still a social experience. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145
I have to disagree.
there are some really interesting documentations about monks that seem to be able to control body functions which usually cant be controlled actively.
like body temperature, heartbeat etc.

The heartbeat can be controlled through CNS (as well as body temperature to a degree), but the heart itself cannot be stopped altogether unless you're dying on your own. But if your monks are, nevertheless, able to control some vital functions of the body why then they don't live forever?

In fact, there are a lot of interesting "docs" which ultimately turn out to be just fiction or someone's yet another insane fantasy.

no, they didnt stop their heart beating.
they were controling it to a certain degree (heartbeat and body temperature).

i dont see a direct link to immortality, but lowering your heartbeat and body temperature will increase your lifespan.
this is not fiction, there is alot of talk in the scientific world about unusual phenomenoms like that.

You needn't be a monk to slow down or accelerate your heart. You lie down, calm down, hold your breath and your heart slows down. You work yourself up, freak out, and your heart accelerates. The heart of well trained cyclists can slow down to 30 beats per minute at rest and accelerate to over 200 beats at load, more than six times difference.

There is nothing unusual or magic about it.

where did i said you need to be a monk to do that?
the monk was just a good example, because this people can take control over body functions - which you usually can't control - through meditation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tumo

accelerating your heartbeat or increasing your body temperature through running fast, sports or freaking out is something completely different.                
Activity: 742
Merit: 526
I have to disagree.
there are some really interesting documentations about monks that seem to be able to control body functions which usually cant be controlled actively.

The heartbeat can be controlled through CNS (as well as body temperature to a degree), but the heart itself cannot be stopped altogether unless you're dying on your own. But if your monks are, nevertheless, able to control some vital functions of the body why then they don't live forever?

In fact, there are a lot of interesting "docs" which ultimately turn out to be just fiction or someone's yet another insane fantasy.

i dont see a direct link to immortality, but lowering your heartbeat and body temperature will increase your lifespan.
this is not fiction, there is alot of talk in the scientific world about unusual phenomenoms like that.

You needn't be a monk to slow down or accelerate your heart. You lie down, calm down, hold your breath, and your heart slows down. You work yourself up, freak out, and your heart accelerates. The heart of well trained cyclists can slow down to 30 beats per minute at rest and accelerate to over 200 beats at load, more than six times difference.

There is nothing unusual or magic about it.
legendary
I guess that's why solitary confinement is torture...

stop breathing. the will to die.

Won't work. At first you lose consciousness, then you breath again. You don't stop breathing when you sleep, right?

sure? and maybe at the first trial... when you are in solitary confinement, you have the time to train until reaching perfection...

Absolutely. No matter how hard you try, you can't change with just the power of thought what is made to function without any at all. The stories of men completely shutting down their heart by their will only are fables of the same kind.

I have to disagree.

Won't work. At first you lose consciousness, then you breath again. You don't stop breathing when you sleep, right?

sure? and maybe at the first trial... when you are in solitary confinement, you have the time to train until reaching perfection...

Absolutely. No matter how hard you try, you can't change with just the power of thought what is made to function without any at all. The stories of men completely shutting down their heart by their will only are fables of the same kind.

I have to disagree.

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
Depends on the given person. Most of needs it but few ppl are more happy alone.
legendary

I have to disagree.
legendary
big yes.
the first social contact you make is with your mother and their are some really interesting and cruel experiments that verify this fact.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OrNBEhzjg8I

This experiment was conducted by US scientist harry harlow in 1950.

legendary
Activity: 1722
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin
I just saw a PBS show about emotional health that claims "social connections" are required for happiness. Do you believe this is true? ...or
Perhaps it is propaganda to undermine the happiness of independent people who don't always require the "emotional support" of others?

What do you think?

Depends on what age. To the teenagers i believe its very important, sice withouth them they get that left out feeling and get probably depressed.
As u get older its more and more obvious that you dont need as many connections at all to be happy, ure happy with a small circle of family and friend, and some even with family alone.

cheers
Activity: 774
Merit: 500
Lazy Lurker Reads Alot

What do you think?

Now that i agree on Cheesy
Activity: 56
Merit: 0

What do you think?

legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
not really , you can be happy even alone, if you have a truly passion, that fills your time(not talking about a job, but anything, you really like and makes you happy)

interpersonal relationships are overrated

Though you can always starve yourself to death instead.
Activity: 774
Merit: 500
Lazy Lurker Reads Alot
ofcourse not, you only need a few hundred million bucks thats all.
Social stuff is not needed at all, too many around to try steal your money.
Activity: 182
Merit: 123
"PLEASE SCULPT YOUR SHIT BEFORE THROWING. Thank U"

Yes, it's also one of the reasons the modern world makes us so miserable.  The loss of once ubiquitous platonic affection (non-sexual contact), which all primates are hard-wired for, causes a great deal of suffering for modern people. It's worse for men, because of the fragility of western masculinity.

by design, we all know that the girls across all generations all space have never confronted their masters, the way men do. so strategically the enemy of mankind would have targeted men first... women are the best slaves... and when they have children, they are soft as butter... (only a few can stand, like the One and the boiling water) exceptions...
Activity: 784
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
Yes, it's also one of the reasons the modern world makes us so miserable.  The loss of once ubiquitous platonic affection (non-sexual contact), which all primates are hard-wired for, causes a great deal of suffering for modern people. It's worse for men, because of the fragility of western masculinity.

Activity: 182
Merit: 123
"PLEASE SCULPT YOUR SHIT BEFORE THROWING. Thank U"

Mother Bear don't raise slave :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knut_%28polar_bear%29#Death

death is tastier than surrender my son, she said, don't breath, it will be better, much love, trust me. He did.
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
Pages:
Jump to: