Pages:
Author

Topic: Is it true that strong "social connections" are required for happiness? - page 3. (Read 2451 times)

Activity: 182
Merit: 123
"PLEASE SCULPT YOUR SHIT BEFORE THROWING. Thank U"
I just saw a PBS show about emotional health that claims "social connections" are required for happiness. Do you believe this is true? ...or
Perhaps it is propaganda to undermine the happiness of independent people who don't always require the "emotional support" of others?

What do you think?
Is it true that strong "social connections" are required for happiness?

Human beings are social creatures, and they require communication and social ties with other humans to keep their mental health in order. If you take a social animal (say a horse) and deprive it of interaction with other animals or humans (not necessarily of the same species), it will first become furious then lethargic and may even die in the end.

and if all the others "so called bipeds" are animals, what an human being has in common with them? at least real clean animals know naturally how to behave... I forget their mothers weren't indoctrinated...
Activity: 742
Merit: 526
I just saw a PBS show about emotional health that claims "social connections" are required for happiness. Do you believe this is true? ...or
Perhaps it is propaganda to undermine the happiness of independent people who don't always require the "emotional support" of others?

What do you think?

Human beings are social creatures, and they require communication and social ties with other humans to keep their mental health in order. If you take a social animal (say a horse) and deprive it of interaction with other animals (not necessarily of the same species, e.g. dogs do fine with horses) or humans, it will first become furious then lethargic and may even die in the end.
Merit: 123
"PLEASE SCULPT YOUR SHIT BEFORE THROWING. Thank U"
At the end of the Dunyha it will be useless, all those will be corrupt, alone with God and his Angels. who cares of the rest... bahhh bahhh...
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
It purely depends on the person as far as I'm concerned. yes, there are those who obsessively seek out social connections, but there are also of course more introverted personalities that like to keep away from that bullshit and will only have a few friends they get along really well with. Since it's PBS don't put it past them to just be touting propaganda, that said, there's nothing in independence that says you can't have friends or a love life, that's bullshit, but equally that doesn't mean you need to rely on such things to begin with, that's what independence is in the first place.

I would agree though with the idea that our governments would see independent and creative thought as a problem because that is precisely what undermines them.
Activity: 255
Merit: 100
Well, we are social animals, our interactions with others are very important. specially long relationships, of course some people are different but generally that seems accurate.
Nope, not at all. I highly doubt it. Its actually worse at times, when you start comparing people in the social group you have
Activity: 476
Merit: 500
I like boobies
An introvert, would not necessarily need to make "social connections" to be happy. Also, obviously if you are a sociopath, then "social connections" are NOT required for happiness, other than making a "connection" with intent to do harm that is. Roll Eyes
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Loose lips sink sigs!
I think it depends on the person. There are loners that are quite happy on their own.

Strong social connections can create happiness in life, however they're not required for happiness.

That's my un-scientific point of view!
Activity: 308
I'm nothing without GOD
I am currently taking health class and from my government required course the answer is yes.
Activity: 784
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
I just saw a PBS show about emotional health that claims "social connections" are required for happiness. Do you believe this is true?
Yes, though it's not a matter of belief, this is science. Human beings are primates, we are social creatures. We need strong social bonds for our health and happiness.

Related:

TED - Brene Brown: the power of vulnerability

TED - Christopher Ryan: Are we designed to be sexual omnivores?

http://bowlingalone.com/
Activity: 812
I believe for many people it is required. Not everyone can be happy and content without any strong social connections.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!

What do you think?
Pages:
Jump to: