Pages:
Author

Topic: Is it worth hosting a lightning node? - page 4. (Read 887 times)

Activity: 1974
Merit: 756
To boldly go where no rabbit has gone before...
June 17, 2020, 11:09:39 AM
Take this with a grain of salt as Xian01  tried this "experiment" in Jul 2018. Different values may have changed meantime

How much money can you make on running a Lightning Network node?

In order to start making money on running a node, you have to open a few channels and encourage others to open a channel back. Keep in mind that built-in autopilot might not guarantee you the best connections. Don’t expect to make a lot of money. Everything depends on the number of connections and your fee policy. The less you charge, the higher your chances to route a payment are. Don’t set the fee too low. You have to save up money for future channel re-balancing. User Xian01 opened almost 200 channels and earned barely 15 satoshis after 2 weeks (Reference).

Damn this is discouraging. 15 satoshi in 2 weeks...wouldn't even be worth the cost if BTC was $1m.
But oh well, maybe it picks up when more and more ppl use lightning
copper member
Activity: 766
Merit: 700
Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com
June 17, 2020, 10:54:38 AM
Take this with a grain of salt as Xian01  tried this "experiment" in Jul 2018. Different values may have changed meantime

How much money can you make on running a Lightning Network node?

In order to start making money on running a node, you have to open a few channels and encourage others to open a channel back. Keep in mind that built-in autopilot might not guarantee you the best connections. Don’t expect to make a lot of money. Everything depends on the number of connections and your fee policy. The less you charge, the higher your chances to route a payment are. Don’t set the fee too low. You have to save up money for future channel re-balancing. User Xian01 opened almost 200 channels and earned barely 15 satoshis after 2 weeks (Reference).
June 17, 2020, 10:43:11 AM
i have been hearing of hosting the lightening network from a very close friend of mine in the space and i am checking out if it is well enough to get one's attention. how can one make money out of it and also what kind of devices are needed to host the nodes. and also the electricity bills involved, is it as sophisticated as the bitcoin network itself

You need a decent sized PC (1-2 cores, 4-8 GB ram, 500+ GB of disk).
Basically you set up bitcoin node there (wait about a week to sync) and then install the lightning part.

It's not easy-peasy yet it's not rocket science.
As for electricity, it depends on what you use
Activity: 1442
Merit: 106
June 17, 2020, 09:12:43 AM
i have been hearing of hosting the lightening network from a very close friend of mine in the space and i am checking out if it is well enough to get one's attention. how can one make money out of it and also what kind of devices are needed to host the nodes. and also the electricity bills involved, is it as sophisticated as the bitcoin network itself
June 17, 2020, 08:32:30 AM
You can create a Lightning Network node to support the network and you cannot profit from it. The returns may be insufficient to pay the electricity bill, but you can gain enough experience and expertise regarding the technology.

Electricity cost is insignificant, around $5 per month as it would run on raspberry. However, biggest investment would be a 500GB (1TB) usb hard disk where the blockchain would be stored.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1127
June 17, 2020, 08:30:57 AM
You can create a Lightning Network node to support the network and you cannot profit from it. The returns may be insufficient to pay the electricity bill, but you can gain enough experience and expertise regarding the technology.
June 17, 2020, 08:05:58 AM
If you're looking to make money off it, then no. You're going to make so little(probably lower than collecting sats on faucets) that it isn't worth doing unless you just want to try it out.

Thats what i was thinking as well. Since lightning fees are usually 1-2 satoshis at best.
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 3817
Paldo.io 🤖
June 17, 2020, 07:47:01 AM
If you're looking to make money off it, then no. You're going to make so little(probably lower than collecting sats on faucets) that it isn't worth doing unless you just want to try it out.
June 17, 2020, 07:37:13 AM
So I've recently seen a video and read an article that explains how to host a lightning node on raspberry pi3.
Aside from the benefit of strengthening the ecosystem and helping the technology in general, is it financially worth doing?

Has anyone done it? Can you share some info on gains?
Pages:
Jump to: