Pages:
Author

Topic: Is Metal Seed Storage Safe in an Earthquake? - page 3. (Read 449 times)

Activity: 467
Merit: 578
February 19, 2023, 08:47:21 AM
I think it depends if everything falls on the steel. If something does fall on it then I do not think it would survive a part of a building would destroy it or scratch it beyond repair. There is not a lot you can do to protect against a earthquake unless you can put your seed in a area where earthquakes do not happen. There has been no reports in the turkey news but I expect a lot of people lost their seeds during the earthquake through damage or it getting lost.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
February 19, 2023, 08:43:49 AM
This is not a good advice but may sometimes be the only option left. Turn your seed phrase to a national anthem and enjoy it every morning while reading it offhand. Do not trust your memory, but you can use it as the fourth backup that you should not rely on. People do have more than one seed phrase wallet, this can make this impossible. Again, not a recommended option.

Best protection is to use passphrase and distribute seed phrase backups in multiple locations, cities or even countries, and multisig setup is  best for larger amount of coins.
While having the seed phrase in far different locations, passphrase would be recommended. But can it be in reality that people can have their seed phrase elsewhere far from them, like in another town, state or country? Most people will not see it possible or convenient for themselves to keep their seed phrase far from themselves, but it would be a good option to go for if it is possible for him and safe.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
February 18, 2023, 06:28:23 PM
I keep them in a waterproof and fireproof notebook, but is there any proof of the efficiency of this Metal Seeds and/or notebooks with earthquakes? Does it bear the violent shocks?
It depends what type of metal you are using, but good stainless steel washers or thick plate blocks will withstand earthquakes, water and high temperatures.
Notebooks and laptops can survive only if you are using quality military protection brands like Thinkpad for example, but I can't be 100% sure what will happen f building crumbles.
Good Thinkpads are known to survive fire, water and fall on ground, but I wouldn't keep digital seed phrase in any laptop.

What are the solutions, in your opinion, if an earthquake occurs? Or in other words, the best solution if you are in an area active in earthquakes and tsunamis.
Best protection is to use passphrase and distribute seed phrase backups in multiple locations, cities or even countries, and multisig setup is  best for larger amount of coins.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
February 18, 2023, 04:17:20 PM
What are the solutions, in your opinion, if an earthquake occurs? Or in other words, the best solution if you are in an area active in earthquakes and tsunamis.
Redundancy and off site storage.

A stainless steel metal plate of sufficient thickness will likely survive an earthquake or a building collapsing on it without significant damage. Jameson Lopp has tested many such devices under a 20 ton hydraulic press, and devices which are simply steel plates hold up very well under such conditions (any device with moving parts such as tiles, not so much). You can see the results of such stress tests here: https://jlopp.github.io/metal-bitcoin-storage-reviews/. However, having your metal plate survive is not much use to you if it is buried under several tons of rubble and you will never find it again. Similarly if you are in a tsunami region, your metal plate will survive just fine, but is no use to you if it is buried under rubble a kilometer away from where you stored it and you will never see it again.

So you need redundancy. This means more than one back up, so if one back up is lost you have others you can rely on. And these other back ups need to be geographical separate, so if a natural disaster affects your city/town/village you have a back up in a different city/town/village which is unaffected.
Activity: 406
Merit: 443
February 18, 2023, 03:03:20 PM
What happened in Turkey made me think carefully about how to keep my cold storage wallet seeds.

I keep them in a waterproof and fireproof notebook, but is there any proof of the efficiency of this Metal Seeds and/or notebooks with earthquakes? Does it bear the violent shocks?

- Yamane
Pages:
Jump to: