Pages:
Author

Topic: Is Michael Jordan a gambling addict ? - page 6. (Read 483 times)

legendary
Activity: 3276
Merit: 2442
December 20, 2023, 03:45:11 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/michael-jordan-and-gambling-a-brief-history-of-basketballs-most-famous-bettor/

Despite the damage his reputation took upon the string of 1993 gambling controversies, Jordan didn't quit gambling afterward. While he managed to avoid the limelight in doing so, numerous stories have surfaced from his second Chicago three-peat and beyond. Frequent gambling partner Ron Harper, who both golfed and played cards with Jordan on the team plane as depicted in "The Last Dance," did not join the Bulls until 1994.

This even continued beyond his playing career. Bill Simmons detailed a card game that took place at All-Star Weekend in 2006 that involved Jordan, Charles Oakley and others in The Book of Basketball. In 2019, Chris Paul wagered free sneakers with Jordan at his basketball camp.

Lots of celebs can't find anything else which will keep them busy in life so they find peace in gambling sadly. Sometimes you have anything you want in life but it still gets boring when you have no goals left to achieve... then you make up new goals. Sometimes those goals are as stupid as they can get... like gambling your life savings away.

Jordan probably haven't gone that far. The article is mostly talking of conspiracies anyway. Why? Because it attract clicks. MJ was a god level player and people wonder if he lost his wealth to gambling. It is like watching a train crash. If there is no crash, then it is just another boring day for the masses.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 3014
December 20, 2023, 03:35:39 PM
I was recently arguing with someone whom stated that MJ is a gambling addict, and I pushed back.  I think we could probably all agree that being addicted to anything is never good, no matter what it is.  Michael is famous for being a big gambler.  However, it's not like that's the only thing he does in life.  He's a billionaire with many companies and countless things to do each day. Gambling doesn't effect those important things in life.

He takes care of his family, far from broke and gambling brings him entertainment.. so my question, would MJ be considered an addict?  I argue he's not.  He just loves to do it, but any negative effects may be literally zero ..

Wiki Definition "Addiction is a neuropsychological disorder characterized by a persistent and intense urge to use a drug or engage in a behaviour that produces natural reward, despite substantial harm and other negative consequences. Repetitive drug use often alters brain function in ways that perpetuate craving, and weakens (but does not completely negate) self-control.[1] This phenomenon – drugs reshaping brain function – has led to an understanding of addiction as a brain disorder with a complex variety of psychosocial as well as neurobiological (and thus involuntary)[a] factors that are implicated in addiction's development.[2][3][4] Classic signs of addiction include compulsive engagement in rewarding stimuli, preoccupation with substances or behavior, and continued use despite negative consequences. Habits and patterns associated with addiction are typically characterized by immediate gratification (short-term reward),[5][6] coupled with delayed deleterious effects (long-term costs).[3][7]"

(sorry hilarious and cyrus, I know you see this same type of topic a trillion times a day but this is bit different and something I'm truly interested in discussing, being his situation is unique).
Pages:
Jump to: