Pages:
Author

Topic: Is Regulation The End For Bitcoin? - page 7. (Read 6881 times)

legendary
Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094
March 13, 2015, 12:03:43 PM
I feel that it's better that bitcoins are regulated. It will be more safer to use and a recognized entity as it is said in the article that currently Bitcoin can be used for illegal activities like funding terrorist organizations but with the regulation, this risk will reduce significantly.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
March 13, 2015, 12:02:50 PM
The blockchain will treat any harmful regulation as damage to the system, and will route around it as indifferently as a river routes around a boulder.
legendary
Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050
Khazad ai-menu!
March 13, 2015, 12:01:51 PM
When Bitcoin finally becomes fully regulated and widely used like MasterCard I think many early adopters will sell out their holdings at the first giant price spike and stop coming here to post. Think about it, do you go over and hang out at the MasterCard forum? Of course not because MasterCard isn't trendy-edgy-cool. Bitcoin won't be either at that point.

Can you give reasons why they would do that when bitcoin network effect surpasses that of mastercard? The fact of the matter is bitcoin allows you to make transactions without the middle man so even if its regulated i can still send people money p2p without a middleman.

Where do you buy your coins?

And where do you buy your fiat tokens? 
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
March 13, 2015, 11:45:47 AM
You can't really "regulate" bit coin. You can regulate people. The borderless nature of bitcoin makes it impossible to ever completely control it or the people using it. I think current consumer laws provide a framework for protection, it is simply a question of law enforcement catching up.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
March 13, 2015, 11:37:52 AM
When Bitcoin finally becomes fully regulated and widely used like MasterCard I think many early adopters will sell out their holdings at the first giant price spike and stop coming here to post. Think about it, do you go over and hang out at the MasterCard forum? Of course not because MasterCard isn't trendy-edgy-cool. Bitcoin won't be either at that point.

Can you give reasons why they would do that when bitcoin network effect surpasses that of mastercard? The fact of the matter is bitcoin allows you to make transactions without the middle man so even if its regulated i can still send people money p2p without a middleman.

Where do you buy your coins?
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008
March 13, 2015, 10:47:11 AM
Agreed ^. Bitcoin runs completely fine without any governmental intrusion or regulation. The network and users regulates itself and that is the beauty of bitcoin. People were using and transacting with it just fine for years without any regulation so I don't see your logic.

How much like a couple thousand? Trust me bitcoin won't go mainstream if its not regulated, 99% of people won't use it.

Have to whole-heartedly agree there.  Bitcoin will die before it's even out of beta, if we don't get things like consumer and fraud protection in place.  Insurance is another factor.

All the Gox'ing, Stamp'ing, Mycoin'ing, Neo and Bees, and continuous scams will prevent Bitcoin from maturing and taking off if only the 200,000 or so Bitcoin users in the world use it.  Need to add a few a more decimals to that figure, and only way to do that is to provide protection.

+1 one of the reasons why bitcoins has been crashing big time and that for a couple times is because unregulated exchanges and incompetent people running those.
legendary
March 13, 2015, 10:45:10 AM

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783
better everyday ♥
March 13, 2015, 10:43:44 AM
Agreed ^. Bitcoin runs completely fine without any governmental intrusion or regulation. The network and users regulates itself and that is the beauty of bitcoin. People were using and transacting with it just fine for years without any regulation so I don't see your logic.

How much like a couple thousand? Trust me bitcoin won't go mainstream if its not regulated, 99% of people won't use it.

Have to whole-heartedly agree there.  Bitcoin will die before it's even out of beta, if we don't get things like consumer and fraud protection in place.  Insurance is another factor.

All the Gox'ing, Stamp'ing, Mycoin'ing, Neo and Bees, and continuous scams will prevent Bitcoin from maturing and taking off if only the 200,000 or so Bitcoin users in the world use it.  Need to add a few a more decimals to that figure, and only way to do that is to provide protection.
legendary
March 13, 2015, 10:40:00 AM

legendary
Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824
March 13, 2015, 10:35:43 AM

I agree with you.
After all, it's all about business and money.
If early adopters think that bitcoin is good investment, they will stick with it, regulated or not regulated.
Activity: 132
Merit: 100
March 13, 2015, 10:28:16 AM
In terms of protocol ; I dont believe Bitcoin can be regulated by any goverment.

However, in terms of currency ,Bitcoin can be regulated and be taxed etc. Goverments can make some restrictions what people can do with Bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
March 13, 2015, 10:27:42 AM
Activity: 230
Merit: 100
Come original.
March 13, 2015, 10:20:35 AM
legendary
Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050
Khazad ai-menu!
March 13, 2015, 10:13:14 AM
Regulation is needed or else the whole ecosystem will be a wild west and regular people won't join the network, so there has to be trust.

Total cluelessness noted. 
Activity: 15
Merit: 0
March 13, 2015, 09:41:50 AM
Is Regulation The End For Bitcoin?

http://bitforum.info/t/is-regulation-the-end-for-bitcoin/396

Maybe bitcoiners doesnt say this out loud but majority of us question ourselves, if Bitcoin will be regulated. Would it be the end?

I mean, if there is a central entity that regulates Bitcoin, do you think that they're regulation would be 'limited' or will they violate a bitcoiners privacy for the sake of 'regulation'?

In the article, it reads the advantages of regulation.

Can you give out negative effects if Bitcoin is regulated?

Didnt you think that this regulation is backed up by other bitcoin loyalist who just want to make a more civilized bitcoin world.
Regulation will not be the end but just a start for bitcoin.
legendary
March 13, 2015, 09:39:17 AM
Regulation is needed or else the whole ecosystem will be a wild west and regular people won't join the network, so there has to be trust.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
March 13, 2015, 09:38:21 AM
i think the most affected if bitcoin is regulated is about privacy
now we can say bitcoin is anonymous, but if bitcoin is reglated i don't think so

To be honest, I am still not totally sold out with the idea of regulation.
What if the goverment make bitcoin use a criminal activity? Theres nothing we could do.

There is something we can do, we can do the same as what we have been doing if we believe in it, it is decentralized and they cannot stop us if we do not want them to. The only regulation i would agree with is all the centralized parts of bitcoin at the moment to begin with exchanges unless they become decentralized pretty soon they should be regulated because they have proven they need to be. I will be in crypto whatever happens Smiley
Activity: 1372
Merit: 783
better everyday ♥
March 13, 2015, 09:32:41 AM
Is Regulation The End for Bitcoin?

Nope.

Next question...
Activity: 25
Merit: 0
March 13, 2015, 09:13:13 AM
i think the most affected if bitcoin is regulated is about privacy
now we can say bitcoin is anonymous, but if bitcoin is reglated i don't think so

To be honest, I am still not totally sold out with the idea of regulation.
What if the goverment make bitcoin use a criminal activity? Theres nothing we could do.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
March 13, 2015, 08:53:52 AM
Govt regulation could be the end of it, as for example someone in Chine why should care about US or EU regulations and vica-versa so in some cases that could led to hard-forks (like the debate around the 20MB fork).
Pages:
Jump to: