Pages:
Author

Topic: Is there an effective way to stop a gambling-addicted person? - page 3. (Read 225 times)

legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1118
...gambling responsibly. Do not be addicted.
You will need to advice him, give him real life stories about people that wanted to make it from gambling but later become something else, I have read many news about that. See if that would help. Losing so that big might have thought him a lesson. You have to let him realize how gambling can make someone to want to lose his life. That life is step by step for those that will make it. He thinks there is hope in gambling, that is why he wants to make money from it.

If he does not change, he needs a medical help. But I think he would change because of the losses he experienced.
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1233
Has anyone managed to stop their relatives from gambling addiction? I have a problem with my little brother, he is 29 and working for years already, the problem is he is so in debt that we are been called upon to come and bail him in a police station, he lied a lot about the debt and he can't even so some calculation on how he spent his own money, if you know what I mean, he works a lot but still broke, that kinda thing .

Later I found out that he is addicted to sports bets, he kept losing money and won't stop, he has lost up to 4650$, a loan, and his own money that he worked for.

If there is any advice you can give me on how to approach this matter please help.

The only way to recover a relative from such a bad illness is to make him go to a local rehab center.Of course you cannot just drag him by force to the rehab center,it won't do any good if he is forced to go there but it will make wonders if you first talk to him like brother,not just one time but consistently,little by little each day and you will make sure to have an impact on him by giving him all sort of examples of why gambling is bad (just a google search will give you a lot of insights) and finally when you will see that he will let his guard down it is that golden time to bring him by his will to the rehab center.For me this is the only solution to such persons.
copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory
How did you find it out? If he told you then maybe he wants help if you just came across it because he left his computer open or something then it'll be much harder to approach the issue.

Why don't you find a local gambling advice or debt advice charity and see if they know anything that might be useful (such as what normally leads people in that area to addiction, what sorts of things addicts can replace gambling with to still get a similar experience from it so they're less likely to go back to it).
Activity: 882
Merit: 272
Has anyone managed to stop their relatives from gambling addiction? I have a problem with my little brother, he is 29 and working for years already, the problem is he is so in debt that we are been called upon to come and bail him in a police station, he lied a lot about the debt and he can't even so some calculation on how he spent his own money, if you know what I mean, he works a lot but still broke, that kinda thing .

Later I found out that he is addicted to sports bets, he kept losing money and won't stop, he has lost up to 4650$, a loan, and his own money that he worked for.

If there is any advice you can give me on how to approach this matter please help.
Pages:
Jump to: