Pages:
Author

Topic: Is wide distribution valuable ? - page 4. (Read 14543 times)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0
July 25, 2015, 10:04:53 PM
aurora was simply a shit coin with false promise, it was premined around 50% with the promise of a good distrubution among the users of iceland, which i doubt it ever happened in the first place, and surely was orchestrated in a shady way

it was an huge pump scheme for sucking money from poor icelender, the dump in fact happened before the distribution leaving those that should've recieved their coins with a worthless bag

real good distrubution that happen naturally like with bitcoin, and lasts many years it's a completely different thing and will only help stabilization and dismiss big p&d

Ok, did anybody try really wide distribution without any scam ?

You would have to check ripple;
http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/ripple/

It's a weird coin so you would have alot of reading to do.

It was 100% premine i believe and is being distributed manually to prevent this among other things. It is the #2 market cap coin so this is probably the closest to do what you're talking about.

I noticed that Ripple has huge swings in price. How come Ripple labs cannot maintain stable price ?
Activity: 770
Merit: 509
July 25, 2015, 08:51:20 PM
aurora was simply a shit coin with false promise, it was premined around 50% with the promise of a good distrubution among the users of iceland, which i doubt it ever happened in the first place, and surely was orchestrated in a shady way

it was an huge pump scheme for sucking money from poor icelender, the dump in fact happened before the distribution leaving those that should've recieved their coins with a worthless bag

real good distrubution that happen naturally like with bitcoin, and lasts many years it's a completely different thing and will only help stabilization and dismiss big p&d

I always get a bitter feeling when I remember AUR. I mined a couple with my slow computer back then... and I held them all over the bubble instead of selling, I was too optimistic and was witing for a higher price, I got greed. Since then I don't gamble with altcoins, as long as I see some solid profit I sell for BTC. I could have made like 5 BTC out of nowhere with the insane AUR pump.
July 25, 2015, 08:50:05 PM

Did anybody run taint analisys on Ripple accounts to see real distribution ?
How does it compare to current NXT and BTC distribution ?
July 25, 2015, 06:30:31 PM

One dev told me that it is possible to exclude sockpuppets without  revealing identity.

If this is possible then why not create such currency on NXT monetary system as experiment to see how it withstands pump attempts.

If million people own 0.00001% of it then pump will be impossible.
If it took something valuable from owners or offers some value in exchange then they won't dump much lower than that value, so there will be no dump.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
July 25, 2015, 06:20:32 PM

You would have to check ripple;
http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/ripple/

It's a weird coin so you would have alot of reading to do.

It was 100% premine i believe and is being distributed manually to prevent this among other things. It is the #2 market cap coin so this is probably the closest to do what you're talking about.
July 25, 2015, 06:13:57 PM

legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
July 25, 2015, 03:24:15 PM

legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1038
July 25, 2015, 03:17:02 PM
Pump and dump is unrelated to how good or bad the features of a coin are.
It is often perpetuated by the creators who have more of it than the average user, or a group of users with capital to buy a large amount of the coin.
Once they have enough of the coin, they push up the market prices further, convincing the average user and potential investors that the coin is gaining value due to its merit. Once everyone invests in the coin and decides to hold, the huge investors or the creators of the coin bail out and dump the coin.

The main reason few altcoins take off is the abundance of alts. When there are so many alts, it is hard to find a new alt that will make all the difference.
Distributing it to more people may help, but only if the more people actually take notice of the coin.
July 25, 2015, 02:57:03 PM
I always thought that having wide distribution has huge benefit to a coin, especially PoS coin.
But recently someone told me that it has only slight benefit.

I thought that widely distributed coin will not have risks of pumps and consequently dumps.
Some debate that AUR was widely distributed and dumped.

I object saying that it was initially pumped only because of poor initial distribution before airdrop and also did not have useful features.
If it had same qualities as Ether or NXT and was not allowed to be traded before airdrop is finished then it would not be pumped dumped.

Pages:
Jump to: