Pages:
Author

Topic: Isn't this newbie restriction promoting spams? - page 2. (Read 1473 times)

legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078
Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer
I get what you're saying, but an hour a day just to be able to post to a forum? Not all of us have that kind of time to spend on a single website.

Before Bitcointalk the only "forum" I had ever posted on was a support one (which was VBulletin based from memory) back in the early 2000s - now I have well over a thousand posts and am developing an exciting Bitcoin project - if you had told me that I would be spending an hour or so per day (at least) reading and often posting on a forum back in 2010 I would have laughed at you.

I think Bitcoin and this forum quickly become more like an obsession than a hobby - I would recommend you take the red pill and join in the wildest ride since the internet became known to the masses!

Grin
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
You need to keep clicking in order for the "time spent online" to be incremented - so whilst it can take a while even if you spend only an hour a day on the forum then provided that you are actively clicking on numerous topics (rather than just leaving the webpage sitting) it shouldn't even take a week to have accumulated the required time (am pretty sure it only took myself a day).

I get what you're saying, but an hour a day just to be able to post to a forum? Not all of us have that kind of time to spend on a single website.
legendary
You need to keep clicking in order for the "time spent online" to be incremented - so whilst it can take a while even if you spend only an hour a day on the forum then provided that you are actively clicking on numerous topics (rather than just leaving the webpage sitting) it shouldn't even take a week to have accumulated the required time (am pretty sure it only took myself a day).
Activity: 18
It's not the 5 posts that bothers me, it's the 4 hours. I've been on here for over a week and have only logged 2 hours 22 minutes. As a marketing professional, I believe 4 hours not only cuts out spammers, but also cuts out many legitimate prospects who get too frustrated with the limits and decide to move on.

An hour, hour and a half.. sure, but four hours? That's going to take me weeks to get!
legendary
Luckily Bruno has created several topics like the "Let's count to 21 million" for newbies to get up their 5 posts in a more creative manner than just senseless spam (maybe some links in the introductory area might be helpful).
Activity: 16
of course it is, I just want to post to the correct sub-forum, but cannot I feel like post all sorts of spam  Angry
Activity: 9
As a newb, I have no problem doing five posts to help prove I'm not a bot.

Now, if only I could convince my wife . . .
Activity: 26
I think it's nice this way. No one needs to actually spam to reach 5 posts...
Activity: 15
Why would you want to post if you find it difficult to post 5 times?  Huh

Not difficult, just frustrating. A few times I've followed links here (to non-newbie sections), had something to say, but couldn't. So I move on elsewhere.

Finally decided to make an account and get these stupid posts out of the way.

One down.
Activity: 7
ya so is that
Activity: 23
I can see how the 4 hours could be annoying if you don't spend much time on the computer. I'm guessing the spam must have been pretty bad though to come to this.
Activity: 7
no clue
Activity: 26
So who judges the quality of a post?  Are there standards to be met?  Some of my posts as a newbie were found to be 'spam'...so what is spam?  I thought spam was unwarranted or unwanted advertisement.  I', simply trying to get enough posts to start exploring other areas.  But I am spamming...
Activity: 6
absolutely agree, more activity does not imply quality.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
It's the muffins that must be stopped.
Why would you want to post if you find it difficult to post 5 times?  Huh
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
It also helps preventing scam, because it's a bit more difficult to enter the other areas.
b!z
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010
I think the system is working fine actually.
vip
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043
👻
I've been a member since 2011, although inactive. I find it weird I have to get the posts to be able to post normally Shocked
You just need to lurk for a bit. Or get a auto refesher extension
dcl
Activity: 9
I've been a member since 2011, although inactive. I find it weird I have to get the posts to be able to post normally Shocked
Activity: 6
This is still ok compared to other forums... it serves as a proof of work I guess...
Pages:
Jump to: