Pages:
Author

Topic: It is hard to be a merchant [NOT a rant]. - page 2. (Read 2114 times)

Activity: 243
Merit: 250
August 22, 2012, 04:20:16 PM
So to wrap up I'd ask exchange services to think about providing some thoughts on improving trade in bitcoin. Not a typical thing to think of for them I guess.

Exchanges in business world are like governments. They control borders. I can have good governments?  Cheesy

Do you have some specific improvements in mind? I try to make bitfloor as customer focused as possible to make it easy for all client types to buy and sell bitcoins on an open and simple to understand marketplace.
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
August 22, 2012, 01:27:02 PM
I agree with you that Bitcoin needs a real economy.  Unfortunately we are in sort of a tragedy-of-the-commons type situation right now where making that happen is extremely difficult, and the majority of early adopters don't even see it as being in their best interests.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
August 22, 2012, 08:54:16 AM
Yeah, it is hard to sell things for bitcoins.

I run a small shop selling only for bitcoins. Just a way to wet my toes. I buy low and sell high. That is how I get value difference for myself. There are two ways to get this added value:

1) On buy-to-me move when I get the thing I am going to sell. I am no one in "real business" world, so getting things cheaper than you normally get them (like cellphone refills) is tough for me. Truth is I get them the same way You do  Cheesy

2) On sell-from-me move when I sell to the client. Well... that is where most thinking goes: it must be beneficial both for us - I get some value while you get your share of it too. Basically why should you buy with bitcoins after all? I mean they make kinda good value storage. In a long term but not really yet. So spending them now is in conflict with idea of spending 'bad' inflatable fiat you have now. Should I make it cheaper then somehow? Hmm... Perhaps I know how:

You see... I cant have all my value in bitcoins too just like you. I want to have some savings just like you but practically I need most of my value in 'useful' currency. Like to buy goods for you in the fist place and sustain the business. Bitcoin economy is not self-sustainable yet from where I see so we all eventually reside to inflatable fiat. And that is where a 3rd player come in to view - exchange services. This post is in fact all about them.

They charge percent and they have certain 'easy to use' threshold. So theoretically I could gain some value by transacting with less fee on bitcoin-fiat move. Meaning selling my bitcoins slightly more expensive than on exchanges. The only way I see doing it morally good is by adding to my customer's value (remember?) by offering them more conveniently than on exchanges. Like in person. In cash. With an android smartphone app. Nothing is more convenient than that. And that is where I hit the profitability ceiling set by exchanges fees. Luckily some exchanges have some bad fee*usability rates but that is quickly disappearing as progress evolves.

So to wrap up I'd ask exchange services to think about providing some thoughts on improving trade in bitcoin. Not a typical thing to think of for them I guess.

Exchanges in business world are like governments. They control borders. I can have good governments?  Cheesy
Pages:
Jump to: