Pages:
Author

Topic: It Takes 14 Million Android Phones to Earn One Bitcoin - page 2. (Read 2891 times)

legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001
Let the chips fall where they may.
Maybe the big phone manufacturers could start putting ASIC chips in the phones they sell and profit that way. Just one chip per phone, and it would be a small chip so the phone doesn't get too hot. It would stay dormant in normal use and would only be activated during times when the phone is fully charged but still connected to a charger. That way, the customer doesn't notice.
This is actually bloody genius.
I disagree: "smart" TVs are where it is at.
  • They are already built to betray the user (implementing an alphabet soup of DRM including DTCP and HDMI).
  • They are already known as power hogs even in standby mode (so that they can download programming guides an respond to voice commands)
  • They already have internet access (required to get Blu-ray playback working again after your device is revoked, also services like netflix): likely cheaper than mobile Internet.
  • Because these things are always plugged in and active, you can even use an off-the-shelf chip drawing 3-5W.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007
Maybe the big phone manufacturers could start putting ASIC chips in the phones they sell and profit that way. Just one chip per phone, and it would be a small chip so the phone doesn't get too hot. It would stay dormant in normal use and would only be activated during times when the phone is fully charged but still connected to a charger. That way, the customer doesn't notice.
This is actually bloody genius.

About, oh, I dunno, 50% (At least) of the world's population has a Android or Apple device, and if companies started adding ASICs like what you said, that would allow companies to earn about 250 BTC, if they have all 3,500,000,000 mining all the time. Realistic estimates would put it at about 100 BTC, at best. Not everyone has it hooked up all the time.

So companies could be mining pretty big amounts, the question would be if the companies would hold it and wait, or sell it off...
legendary
Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571
It sounds crazy and non-efficient (seeing it as an ordinary person), but what if someone creates a virus which infects a lot of phones worldwide

and whenever that guy wants it, starts mining without any notice $_$

It's hard to infect 14 million devices.
The time and money spent infecting them would be far greater than any Bitcoin.

14 million is not a lot relatively speaking. There must be at least a billion android devices out there.
Activity: 618
Merit: 500
a clockwork miner
anyone actually done 1 hash by hand?

I think it would take a while, there's a lot of rounds to do in a SHA-256 hash.
64 rounds? something like that

Seven months ago, with that difficulty, it would have cost you $3,162,791,285,103,330,000.00 per block just for paper and ink.

Source:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1r3wau/mining_bitcoin_by_hand/

tl;dr - mining by hand is no longer profitable. (LOL)
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)

DAYYYMNNNN
Sorry it had to be said but I am impressed that it would take that many phones so much for mobile mining to earn enough for a phone call
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Hey guys, I heard it takes 140 million breast-strokes to cross the Atlantic Ocean.

Am I doin it wrong ?? ?

u should be using butterfly

lol
Activity: 644
even PC with good GPU can't handle bitcoin mining anymore

I think someone should create alt-coin that only can be mined by mobile phones CPU and GPU
it's new market, is it possible?
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political
Personally i mine by hand.

I send my shares via registered mail to the bitcoin foundation.

They said it would take 14 million years to mine a bitcoin that way.

Brb i'll write an article about how fucking retarded i am.

anyone actually done 1 hash by hand?

I think it would take a while, there's a lot of rounds to do in a SHA-256 hash.
64 rounds? something like that
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
Equivalent to digging with 14 million hands lol or more.

At least with Bitcoin mining there is not as many deaths than gold mining companies per year.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001
This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf
It sounds crazy and non-efficient (seeing it as an ordinary person), but what if someone creates a virus which infects a lot of phones worldwide

They would probably need to come pre-installed out of the box like that
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000
Mobiles device are made for being low power consuming and being small, no more than that.

This is candidate as the retarded bitcoin article of the year
Activity: 686
I wonder if there are 14 million people retarded enough to mine on their phone...
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007
14 million?

Good gravy. That's actually a small number.

GOOGLE! WHY YOU NO HIJACK ALL YOUR SOLD PHONES?

In a more serious way, however, that fully makes sense. They're phones, not PCs or ASICs. They're not necessarily supposed to be completely over powered in specs, their meant to run flappy bird and be able to take selfies.

PCs are supposed to do WAY more things than a phone, and often they can, unless they're ~8 years behind in tech, or aged 8 years old with no upgrades.

GPUs in phones aren't supposed to run Watch_Dogs or grind away at a stream of super-difficult calculations that it has to compare against another chain of code.

But that's just my opinion.
Activity: 812
Personally i mine by hand.

I send my shares via registered mail to the bitcoin foundation.

They said it would take 14 million years to mine a bitcoin that way.

Brb i'll write an article about how fucking retarded i am.

Activity: 154
BUYING ANTMINER S1!!!

Activity: 224
VocalPlatform.com

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029
Very interesting number and crazy. But of course you gotta use the right tool for the right job. Mining with a mobile phone is obviously a horrible idea.
Activity: 154
BUYING ANTMINER S1!!!
Interesting.
Mobile mining appears to be for novelty only - long term use is pointless and can damage the hardware.
legendary
Activity: 882
Merit: 1000
His math is wrong.

Actually, if it were 2009, it'd only take maybe 2-3 SIIIs to mine a bitcoin in a day.
Pages:
Jump to: