Pages:
Author

Topic: Jade DIY hardware wallet - page 2. (Read 580 times)

Activity: 406
Merit: 896
March 29, 2024, 02:12:11 PM
@apogio
Take a look at this:

I couldn't find any warranty information on Jade's website either. I did find this Jade review from January 2024, and there is a section that discusses the warranty.

The reviewer said they spoke to the Blockstream team who told them that if the Jade has any issues within the first year that can't be solved remotely or with a software update, you'll get a replacement device or a refund. They cover the return shipping within the US. For orders from outside the States, the buyer covers the shipping fees.

Hmm... thanks for the info.
The problem is, I own it for more than a year and I am also not in the US. So I need to cover the shipping fees, but also, it looks like they can't do anything for me.
Anyway, I will try to upgrade the firmware later tonight. Perhaps this issue will be solved.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
March 29, 2024, 12:39:37 PM
You can't really complain to Blockstream since there is no warranty on this devices, but at least they are cheap-ish.
As I wrote in the other thread where we touched upon this subject, it's worth trying. There is no official warranty, but the company might still be willing to fix problems for their customers depending on what went wrong and how. And even if there is a warranty that has expired, we have seen examples (from Ledger) where they have sent replacements for devices that were no longer under warranty.

@apogio
Take a look at this:

I couldn't find any warranty information on Jade's website either. I did find this Jade review from January 2024, and there is a section that discusses the warranty.

The reviewer said they spoke to the Blockstream team who told them that if the Jade has any issues within the first year that can't be solved remotely or with a software update, you'll get a replacement device or a refund. They cover the return shipping within the US. For orders from outside the States, the buyer covers the shipping fees.
March 29, 2024, 07:00:50 AM

Yes, this is a good idea.
He tells me to follow this guide:
https://jadefw.blockstream.com/upgrade/fwupgrade.html

My thoughts are: would you relay on a faulty piece of hardware for a critical function as storing your precious coins?
If having a new device shipped to you is not such an hassle, I would avoid using that particular pice of hardware again.
Of course, having fun thinkering is part of the game, but I wouldn’t find it funny having that problem again.

Yes these thoughts are the obvious ones, I am having them myself too.
I don't use the Jade very much, so I don't really worry about using it, if I fix the issue myself.
I will follow the guide. Thanks a lot.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 15144
Fully fledged Merit Cycler - Golden Feather 22-23
March 29, 2024, 06:56:41 AM

I am summoning some Jade experts to this post.
I met them In real life, and I am forwarding this post to them.
Hopefully, they will show up (I don't even know if they have accounts here), or I will relay their observations.

EDIT: They told me to contact Blockstream, as they should send a new one.

Thank you very much my friend. You are very helpful.
I will try something tonight and if it fails I will definitely contact Blockstream.

I will try to update the OS to the latest version using the browser. I don't know if I will be able to press anything on the Jade. If yes, then I will have a chance to fix it. If not, then there is no other choice than to contact them.

Yes, this is a good idea.
He tells me to follow this guide:
https://jadefw.blockstream.com/upgrade/fwupgrade.html

My thoughts are: would you relay on a faulty piece of hardware for a critical function as storing your precious coins?
If having a new device shipped to you is not such an hassle, I would avoid using that particular pice of hardware again.
Of course, having fun thinkering is part of the game, but I wouldn’t find it funny having that problem again.

March 29, 2024, 06:46:39 AM

Hopefully, they will show up (I don't even know if they have accounts here), or I will relay their observations.

Thank you very much my friend. You are very helpful.
I will try something tonight and if it fails I will definitely contact Blockstream.

I will try to update the OS to the latest version using the browser. I don't know if I will be able to press anything on the Jade. If yes, then I will have a chance to fix it. If not, then there is no other choice than to contact them.
legendary
March 29, 2024, 06:27:27 AM
Hi guys!

So, my Jade is officially dead, unfortunately!

I think about using the hardware to re-flash the software from Github. Do you think that's possible?

Since this topic is "Jade DIY", I thought it was the best place to ask this question.

legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 3001
March 28, 2024, 03:19:01 PM
You can't really complain to Blockstream since there is no warranty on this devices, but at least they are cheap-ish.
I don't know how it works in other parts of the world, but following EU directives no seller can sell a device without providing a 2 year warranty period[1]. Since they sell directkly on their website and also by means of partners[2], apogio can try to get in contact with either of them if he : a) Lives in Europe and b) is under the 2 period warranty (providing it was not the user to blame for the problem).

Also, apogio can always try to open a ticket in their support page to see their feedback. I found this Reddit user[3][4] that did it in a slightly different problem and he managed to get a new Jade device sent to him. It doesn't hurt trying, especially considering how odd apogio problem was.

[1]https://www.eccnet.eu/consumer-rights/what-are-my-consumer-rights/shopping-rights/guarantees-and-warranties
[2]https://store.blockstream.com/products/blockstream-jade-hardware-wallet
[3]https://libreddit.pussthecat.org/r/Bitcoin/comments/14qpp4n/blockstream_jade_cant_get_past_logo_after/
[4]https://libreddit.pussthecat.org/r/Bitcoin/comments/153bxnm/update_jade_couldnt_get_past_logo_after_firmware/
March 28, 2024, 03:04:31 PM
Can you explain more what exactly happened with your device?

Sure thing.
So I just turned it on after one month that it had been idle.
It woke up like the picture above...
I don't remember doing anything wrong, or forgetting it turned on.
As I have already said a few times, I use it in a stateless mode.
The memory is always wiped and every time I use it, I scan a QR code and load the wallet in memory for a short period.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
March 28, 2024, 02:57:31 PM
Rip Jade. Sad
Can you explain more what exactly happened with your device?

I think about using the hardware to re-flash the software from Github. Do you think that's possible?
You can try to flash it again, I think instructions are posted on their github page, but make sure you are using code for this device, not for other devices that are similar.
March 27, 2024, 01:06:20 PM
What happened to it? Was it just like that when you turned it on or did you do something with it before that happened?
Everything on the screen looks inverted. I don't think it's your picture because the Jade imprint on the case looks normal.

Before you do anything, I would contact their customer support and explain everything in detail. Is the wallet still under warranty? If so, they must try to fix it for you or send you a replacement device.

Not only is it inverted, but it's also covering a small part of the screen. The other half is greyish.

I just turned it on after a month of it being idle and that's what I saw. I tried to charge it, but no luck... I will leave it open till it turns off and then I will charge again, in case it fixes.

I don't think it's under warranty. I don't care too much about it. I use it, but I can leave without it.

I just thought it was a good time to try something fancy, like installing a custom OS etc.
legendary
March 27, 2024, 01:02:09 PM
What happened to it? Was it just like that when you turned it on or did you do something with it before that happened?
Everything on the screen looks inverted. I don't think it's your picture because the Jade imprint on the case looks normal.

Before you do anything, I would contact their customer support and explain everything in detail. Is the wallet still under warranty? If so, they must try to fix it for you or send you a replacement device.
March 27, 2024, 12:43:46 PM
Hi guys!

Since this topic is "Jade DIY", I thought it was the best place to ask this question.
legendary
March 20, 2024, 03:30:17 AM
I own a version based on the M5 StickC-Plus.
As usual, I like the possibility of owning a piece of hardware without the possibility of leaking the data of a potential Bitcoin user.
Buying from a central counterpart always allows for data leaks, which is not good if Samson Mow is right.
legendary
February 26, 2024, 12:22:49 PM
The Blockstream Jade is one of the cheapest hardware wallets. Besides its affordable price at around €61, the device is also airgapped. If you use the discount code NAKADAI, you can get an additional 10% off and make the purchase even cheaper. I don't know for how long the code will be valid.
October 24, 2023, 01:10:08 PM

I liked this option: https://github.com/3rdIteration/Jade/blob/master/diy/readme.md

Is it following SeedSigner's (https://seedsigner.com/) footsteps, or am I thinking wrong? Is there any reason not to construct a seed signer? If you order the hardware pieces from separate stores, then it will not let anyone know you want it for Bitcoin.
legendary
Cashback 15%
October 23, 2023, 05:32:58 PM
apparently customer data has been leaked at Blockstream! numerous users of the Jade hardware wallet have received the fake email shown below, which looks deceptively real at first glance.
Adam Back has already confirmed that it is a scam.
if you have received this type of email, please delete it immediately and do not click on any link.
I saw this but it doesn't have to be database leak, and this was not confirmed.
From what I heard random people received this phishing email even if they never purchased Jade hardware wallet or signed up for any other Blockstream services.
It is possible this people used their email for some stupid airdrops or they signed up for other crypto newsletters or they purchased some other brand of hardware wallets like ledger aka leaker.
legendary
October 21, 2023, 04:31:32 AM
Not one more leak. Embarrassed
It's a well-written email that sounds believable unless you pay attention and look at the email address for example.

It will be interesting to see what exactly leaked and in which quantity. I am subscribed to Blockstream's blog and newsletter in my experiment to see if any fake data will leak or if I will receive phishing emails. I can confirm that I haven't received such phishing emails. They might target Jade users exclusively.
legendary
Activity: 3122
Merit: 7618
Cashback 15%
October 21, 2023, 04:17:21 AM
apparently customer data has been leaked at Blockstream! numerous users of the Jade hardware wallet have received the fake email shown below, which looks deceptively real at first glance.
Adam Back has already confirmed that it is a scam.
if you have received this type of email, please delete it immediately and do not click on any link.

https://twitter.com/adam3us/status/1715621325883265505
legendary
Cashback 15%
June 16, 2023, 09:55:20 AM
Is someone who’s buying a PC more vulnerable to being hacked or targeted than someone who’s buying random boards off the internet? Now that’s a stat I’d like to see! Cheesy
Yes they are obviously more vulnerable, I never heard anyone getting hacked using this devices, and every minute someone who is using computers is hacked in the world.
Anyone with a working brain could realize why this is the case, and chips are all coming from same places anyway.
Activity: 938
Merit: 642
Magic
June 14, 2023, 01:42:07 PM
It’s not as convenient as a device like Ledger, but it gets the job done better than any other such device in my opinion.

Just create a seed and some adresses offline and store them securely on a metal plate. Then completely reset the device that you use for creating those informations. Simply store 80% off your bitcoin on those adresses and never worry about anything again. With 20% still liquid you should usually not worry about having to move the other 80% regularly.

Most hardware wallets also have the disadvantage that they are pretty expensive and if you plan to buy multiple ones then you will mess up your profits pretty big.
Pages:
Jump to: