Pages:
Author

Topic: Kentucky Derby Winner fails drug test - page 2. (Read 239 times)

legendary
Activity: 3122
Merit: 1398
For support ➡️ help.bc.game
May 11, 2021, 04:37:14 PM
I wonder how this affects bookmakers and gamblers who have paid out winners, because these sort of annual competitions can drive many tens of millions of bets? Will people be expected to pay winnings back? Are people who bet on the real non-cheating winner going to be compensated? Are the event organizers going to try and hide this so these difficult questions will not have to be answered?

As far as the common terms of a gambling site are concerned, there will be no compensation for those who bet on the losing side as the bets are already finished and the winnings are distributed properly fair and square.

However, gamblers might hesitate to bet again on the horse involved.

As per the article, the trainer is shocked at what happened so we can judge things right away. Remember that the winning horse in the subject and its trainer already has an established name in the world of Derby.
Activity: 1722
Merit: 269
May 11, 2021, 03:21:10 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/57049450

I came across this interesting story added to the BBC today, where the winner of the most recent Kentucky Derby (held on the 1st of May this year) was found to have illegal quantities of a drug in it's system:

I am not really surprised that there is doping going on in horse-racing too i mean if humans can improve their performance by illegal drugs than of course that stuff should have an effect on animals too. I feel sorry for the horses though as they have no choice and don't get asked if they want to get doped.
The kentucky derby is one of the most important and prestigeous horse races in the us and even worldwide so a doping scandal like that is probably the worst thing that can happen in a noble sport like this. I don't really know how strict and advanced the anti doping measure in horse racing are but i really hope they get increased now after this scandal.
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1083
May 11, 2021, 02:48:07 PM
I wonder how this affects bookmakers and gamblers who have paid out winners, because these sort of annual competitions can drive many tens of millions of bets? Will people be expected to pay winnings back? Are people who bet on the real non-cheating winner going to be compensated? Are the event organizers going to try and hide this so these difficult questions will not have to be answered?

All bets are settled after the fight so there will be no reversal nor changes to the payout made throughout all the gambling platforms that open a bookmark on that event.

Aftermath, change of results, or any happening after the event has nothing to do with the previously settled bets.

The only thing that affected is the gambler's future betting view on all the parties involved.
Activity: 1274
Merit: 293
May 11, 2021, 04:50:06 AM
Picograms is so small that I am surprised that they are measuring it to be honest, I don't a lot about horses tolerance in terms of drugs but if it really affects performance then the committee will probably do something about it, also how come does this kind of thing pass under their noses though.
Activity: 1848
Merit: 370
May 10, 2021, 08:49:43 PM
There will be an uproar amongst the winners and big losers of these matches, that's for sure. It will be up to the race master's coordination with the bookmakers and the authority if they are to refund the losses and reinstate the wins of these people but I think it is very unfair for the winners since most of them could have already spent their earnings on something else. Just ban the perpetrator and move on I guess.
Activity: 2884
Merit: 794
I am terrible at Fantasy Football!!!
May 10, 2021, 06:08:33 PM
This is such a sad news for me, one of the reasons why I like horse racing has to do with the fact the horse is never going to cheat, the horse just loves running and they are there making the best they can, it is the people that train them that cheat and I find it ironic that one of those horses that was found with some irregularities is called charlatan as this is the case for the trainer of the “winner” of this race, this without a doubt raises big questions about his previous wins, after all how many trainers can say they have won the Kentucky Derby 7 times? So I really hope there is an investigation about all of this, because not only this proves he cheated this time but there could be evidence he cheated every single time he won before.
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1176
May 09, 2021, 04:50:51 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/57049450

I came across this interesting story added to the BBC today, where the winner of the most recent Kentucky Derby (held on the 1st of May this year) was found to have illegal quantities of a drug in it's system:

Medina Spirit had tested positive for 21 picograms of the anti-inflammatory drug betamethasone, above Kentucky racing's threshold of ten picograms per millilitre.

This is trainer Bob Baffert's 7th Kentucky Derby win and it certainly makes you question his previous wins. His defense also feels a bit too rehearsed, as if he knew that one day the odd damaging news story would get leaked here or there. There is a track record where another of his horses was caught and it was supposedly cross contamination from a patch that the jockey was wearing - it sounds like a terrible cover story. A highly suspicious chain of events and maybe an aging trainer was interested in a winning reputation at all costs.

Last month he was successful in overturning a 15-day ban and disqualification of two of his horses - Gamine and Charlatan - after they returned samples containing the illicit raceday medication lidocaine, which was attributed to cross-contamination from a pain-relief patch worn by the trainer's assistant.

Baffert received a $10,000 fine instead.

I hope the people who look after the Kentucky Derby deal with this fairly, openly and honestly - even if it will be an administrative nightmare to rescind the winner. Their reputation might suffer greatly if it is not handled well.
Pages:
Jump to: