Pages:
Author

Topic: Leaving eurozone - Greece & Bitcoin - page 2. (Read 1966 times)

legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000
July 06, 2015, 11:27:39 AM
The political games on this greece crysis are just crazy, then we have to see and wait what comes of Greece leaving the Eurozone, it looks like the pipeline has a lot of benefits for greece https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGq8C3SEay8

RT is now like the trendy online news media to go to i guess, Good info tho.

Greece leaving the Euro zone or not is a big political game.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
July 06, 2015, 11:25:02 AM
The political games on this greece crysis are just crazy, then we have to see and wait what comes of Greece leaving the Eurozone, it looks like the pipeline has a lot of benefits for greece https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGq8C3SEay8
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010
In Satoshi I Trust
July 06, 2015, 11:23:37 AM
no more Varoufakis  Cry
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009
July 06, 2015, 11:14:32 AM
If Greece leave the eurozone a lot of their people will be hurting, most likely to come a huge political change and it would be interesting to see if Russia is going to help out Greece if it does leave the Eurozone.

if they leave, Russia will most definitely come to them. Either Russia or China Wink

Why Russia or China?

Greece was under Turkish rule for 400 years*, They can exit Euro and adopt Turkish Lira Smiley

Turkish rule: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Greece#Ottoman_rule_.2815th_century_.E2.80.93_1821.29

Greece is a strategic country in what concerns military purposes. It's also home to a government who said "we don't pay" and who is questioning the authority of the EU leaders and isn't accepting their terms as is. This is pleasant to those countries.

Now I question you, why Turkey? Grin I haven't been seeing reports or rumors of such collaboration in the news, and historical reasons aren't enough, I think Smiley

Russia has signed a deal with Greece to build a gas pipeline through it to supply Europe. That's going to be very lucrative to Russia and is a good reason for it to help Greece financially. Russia already said it would consider helping financially if Greece is in dire need.

Yes, I forgot to mention that. The has pipe is big news. They are surely becoming friends and Moscow is going to be really close to Athens if Greece leaves the eurozone.

unamis76

Re the idea of a 30% haircut ("bail-in") in Greece, here is a link (July 3):

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-07-03/greek-banks-considering-30-haircut-deposits-over-%E2%82%AC8000-ft-reports

Do check out the cartoon ("Bankruptcy Cypriot Style").

If ANY kind of bail-in happens, this would be the second time in Europe.  IMO it would rive the demand for BTC up a lot once people start thinking...

Truly devastating if this happens. let's see if it isn't more than a "malicious rumor". Greeks will have to start thinking seriously if this happens (thinking in BTC, of course Wink)
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852
July 05, 2015, 08:03:47 PM

unamis76

Re the idea of a 30% haircut ("bail-in") in Greece, here is a link (July 3):

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-07-03/greek-banks-considering-30-haircut-deposits-over-%E2%82%AC8000-ft-reports

Do check out the cartoon ("Bankruptcy Cypriot Style").

If ANY kind of bail-in happens, this would be the second time in Europe.  IMO it would rive the demand for BTC up a lot once people start thinking...
Activity: 79
Merit: 10
July 05, 2015, 07:52:08 PM
If Greece leave the eurozone a lot of their people will be hurting, most likely to come a huge political change and it would be interesting to see if Russia is going to help out Greece if it does leave the Eurozone.

if they leave, Russia will most definitely come to them. Either Russia or China Wink

Why Russia or China?

Greece was under Turkish rule for 400 years*, They can exit Euro and adopt Turkish Lira Smiley

Turkish rule: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Greece#Ottoman_rule_.2815th_century_.E2.80.93_1821.29

Greece is a strategic country in what concerns military purposes. It's also home to a government who said "we don't pay" and who is questioning the authority of the EU leaders and isn't accepting their terms as is. This is pleasant to those countries.

Now I question you, why Turkey? Grin I haven't been seeing reports or rumors of such collaboration in the news, and historical reasons aren't enough, I think Smiley

Russia has signed a deal with Greece to build a gas pipeline through it to supply Europe. That's going to be very lucrative to Russia and is a good reason for it to help Greece financially. Russia already said it would consider helping financially if Greece is in dire need.
legendary
July 05, 2015, 07:11:32 PM

Why Russia or China?

legendary
Activity: 2982
Merit: 1485
Rollbit.com Crypto Futures
July 05, 2015, 06:58:06 PM

Why Russia or China?

legendary
July 05, 2015, 06:27:52 PM

Activity: 686
July 05, 2015, 06:22:41 PM
legendary
Activity: 1456
Ad maiora!
July 05, 2015, 06:18:14 PM
I think we will see Greece's crisis effect soon and there will be huge investment in Bitcoin in near future.This is very short period to calculate the impact.In future people will prefer to keep their savings and earnings in Bitcoin instead of banks after facing so many troubles in recent crisis.Bitcoin has huge opportunity in Greece just need more awareness and time to be well known by common people.
Actually, the more I think about it, and the more I look at the past few days' charts, I believe we will see daily action much the same as today.
Greeks can only get 60 euros a day. They can't spend it all on BTC they need the necessities, so, at most, after groceries and gas etc. the average Greek will have maybe 20 euro (if even) to stash. If more than 40% of Greeks put that 20 into BTC we will see spikes in the price like today's, not insignificant, but weak and short lived. However, if this process is repeated daily and more and more Greeks get on board, it will have a deeper effect on price.

I'm no economist and I have no solid proof to back this up but it just seems rational to me.
Activity: 728
July 05, 2015, 04:53:26 PM
I think we will see Greece's crisis effect soon and there will be huge investment in Bitcoin in near future.This is very short period to calculate the impact.In future people will prefer to keep their savings and earnings in Bitcoin instead of banks after facing so many troubles in recent crisis.Bitcoin has huge opportunity in Greece just need more awareness and time to be well known by common people.
legendary
July 05, 2015, 04:42:52 PM
As for Bitcoin, I highly doubt that greek people are moving the price. It's probably just whales speculating on the referendum outcome (and "NO" seems to spike the whales quite a bit)

This is always the case... LoLz Wink

We don't always have proof to say that it's ALWAYS the case, as we don't have proof to say otherwise... Smiley

GREECE is an excellent reason for there to be more BTC ATMs.  Last I heard there was just one for all of Greece.

There is talk of a 30% haircut for bank accounts over $100,000 euros there in Greece...

We need more BTC ATMs everywhere.  And STAT!

Pretty serious news. Where did you read about those 30%?

if the No will win then in that case it does not mean that Greece will leave the Eu zone Wink. However I also think the referendum has affected (positively) the bitcoin price.

As far as I've read, it is a strong indicator that they will leave the eurozone. And the NO is winning so far. By quite a bit.

Business in Greece must start to accept Bitcoin on a wide scale, including international airlines, hotels and restaurants. Fiat money will become scarce there soon. All they need as a bare minimum is a piece of paper with a QR code on it and people can pay with mobile wallets, although ATMs and Paypoint terminals will also be needed over time. There are various ways to convert BTC to fiat if they want to or they can just full out start accepting it without converting to fiat. Exporters to Greece can also start accepting BTC and then the businesses in Greece can use their BTC to pay for their imports. If businesses accept BTC the tourists can also pay with BTC. There is no haircut ever for BTC accounts.

I know this is probably utopian, but if there ever was a golden opportunity for BTC in a country this is it.

Utopian indeed, but it would be amazing if it would become a reality... And this is a good time to start going there!
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1013
July 05, 2015, 03:59:24 PM
Business in Greece must start to accept Bitcoin on a wide scale, including international airlines, hotels and restaurants. Fiat money will become scarce there soon. All they need as a bare minimum is a piece of paper with a QR code on it and people can pay with mobile wallets, although ATMs and Paypoint terminals will also be needed over time. There are various ways to convert BTC to fiat if they want to or they can just full out start accepting it without converting to fiat. Exporters to Greece can also start accepting BTC and then the businesses in Greece can use their BTC to pay for their imports. If businesses accept BTC the tourists can also pay with BTC. There is no haircut ever for BTC accounts.

I know this is probably utopian, but if there ever was a golden opportunity for BTC in a country this is it.
July 05, 2015, 03:56:57 PM
agreed with the Greeks working for BTC, accepting it instead of credit. It's not going to make a huge difference this time around, too late this time, but this is the perfect opportunity for a true BTC ecosystem to occur. If everyone was using BTC for every purchase and being paid in BTC, that is actually the true point of the whole experiment. NOT buy/sell/moon. That economy is just specious.

Isn't there a website that gives you a virtual debit card number that you can use online like a real debit card, and top it up with Bitcoin? If there is the Greeks could use it to avoid the blockade against Greek online debit card purchases currently in force? it would let the Greeks use Bitcoin for purchases in a roundabout way.

Edit/

There are more virtual credit cards you can top up with Bitcoin than I thought. Top of the list is BitPlastic.

https://bitplastic.com/bitcoin-debit-card
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042
#Free market
July 05, 2015, 03:56:40 PM
if the No will win then in that case it does not mean that Greece will leave the Eu zone Wink. However I also think the referendum has affected (positively) the bitcoin price.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008
Welt Am Draht
July 05, 2015, 03:53:15 PM
Buying bitcoins with bank accounts closed is not an option. Maybe via localbitcoins.com in cash deals...

Greeks won't buy in in large numbers. Cash will be far too valuable for day to day transactions to spend it on BTC. I think there is a Greek exchange and bank transfers within the country are fine. I'm not sure how long it would last if people rushed for it though.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Ad maiora!
July 05, 2015, 03:45:51 PM
agreed with the Greeks working for BTC, accepting it instead of credit. It's not going to make a huge difference this time around, too late this time, but this is the perfect opportunity for a true BTC ecosystem to occur. If everyone was using BTC for every purchase and being paid in BTC, that is actually the true point of the whole experiment. NOT buy/sell/moon. That economy is just specious.
July 05, 2015, 03:28:09 PM

GREECE is an excellent reason for there to be more BTC ATMs.  Last I heard there was just one for all of Greece.

There is talk of a 30% haircut for bank accounts over $100,000 euros there in Greece...

We need more BTC ATMs everywhere.  And STAT!

It's worse than that, they are going to stop people taking cash out of their safety deposit boxes held in Greek banks. That's really crappy and a good reason to buy Bitcoins. It goes to show you can't trust the bank with your money in a crisis.

Wow, so much for Greeks who thought they were keeping their cash safe in bank vaults...  

"Greeks cannot withdraw cash left in safe deposit boxes at Greek banks as long as capital restrictions remain in place, a deputy finance minister told Greek television on Sunday."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-07-05/eurogroup-shock-finance-ministers-would-not-know-what-discuss-after-greferendum-stun
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008
July 05, 2015, 03:06:23 PM
Already at $274, Litecoin also getting a push, are we going to see $1000/bitcoin again?

No doubt these are interesting times for bitcoin. Smiley

Without a doubt bitcoin would have been at least double the price what it is now if it weren't because of all the exchange failures, this makes me believe the fair brice of bitcoin is much higher.
Pages:
Jump to: