Pages:
Author

Topic: Ledger Nano S Plus - page 6. (Read 1365 times)

legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
December 19, 2021, 03:43:25 AM
Despite having a larger screen, looks like it's still not going to display the full address:
Nano X has "four" lines of text [screenshots: #1 and #2], but this one has only "three"!
We still don't know how the Nano S Plus will display addresses on the screen. For example, if they got rid of the first line that says Address, like it does on the Nano X, they could fit the whole address in one go. The first line is unnecessary anyway and doesn't have to display the address part. It could also be displayed just for a few seconds and then switch to the actual address or you need to right-click to move from the address line. All in all, it's easily fixable. 
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 7410
Crypto Swap Exchange
December 17, 2021, 06:17:51 AM
But seriously, what will you do if one day the manufacturer stops releasing updates for your nano S? Are you going to risk using this hardware wallet for your savings or do you decide to buy a new one? It seems to me that it is time for users to prepare an action plan for such cases.

If you have some digital security awareness and there's no known vulnerability which compromise seed/private key simply by plug in and unlock nano S, i would use it for some time (1 year or less) before switching to newer/more secure HW wallet.

and how big the screen is compared older Nano S and Nano X.
~Snipped~
https://twitter.com/_pgauthier/status/1471137009272074245
The following things caught my attention:

• Despite having a larger screen, looks like it's still not going to display the full address:

• Nano X has "four" lines of text [screenshots: #1 and #2], but this one has only "three"!
The gap on top/below each lines is rather big, those gap size could be reduced to fit 4 lines though.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 3406
Crypto Swap Exchange
December 18, 2021, 04:23:15 AM
The gap on top/below each lines is rather big, those gap size could be reduced to fit 4 lines though.
Exactly... The same goes for the noticeable gaps beside the left and right arrows [those gaps almost don't exist on the Nano X, hence why it could fit more characters on each line].

Screen does look cheap but that is nothing new and I wrote before that you can order new display for regular Nano S from China for just few dollars, I don't think that this display is much more expensive.
If it's possible to replace its screen with one that supports a slightly higher resolution, then that might actually work [without having to wait for the Ledger to make some adjustments on its firmware].

It appears like there is only 3 lines of text like you say, but maybe there will be more characters that can fit the whole address...so let's wait and see.
Judging by the image you've posted the other day, I counted 14 characters for the Nano S Plus, whereas on the Nano X is 18 characters.
- A reduced font size might do the trick as well.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
December 17, 2021, 06:55:23 AM
In other words, little to no improvement over the Nano S
Screen does look cheap but that is nothing new and I wrote before that you can order new display for regular Nano S from China for just few dollars, I don't think that this display is much more expensive.
It appears like there is only 3 lines of text like you say, but maybe there will be more characters that can fit the whole address...so let's wait and see.
If nothing else, bigger memory and new usb type c connection is some improvement from old nano s model.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 3406
Crypto Swap Exchange
December 16, 2021, 03:02:15 PM
and how big the screen is compared older Nano S and Nano X.
~Snipped~
The following things caught my attention:

• Despite having a larger screen, looks like it's still not going to display the full address:
    • Nano X has "four" lines of text [screenshots: #1 and #2], but this one has only "three"!

• The screen they've used looks cheap [the displayed text isn't that sharp]!
    - In other words, little to no improvement over the Nano S [apart from its size].

but we still don't know what the price will be for this new device.
Judging by its overall build quality, it has to be cheaper than what I initially thought it was going to be.
legendary
Cashback 15%
December 16, 2021, 05:40:42 AM
Ok guys, it's enough speculations about the looks of new Ledger Nano S Plus device.
This image was posted by Ledger CEO Pascal Gauthier and now we finally know how it looks in real life and how big the screen is compared older Nano S and Nano X.
We can see that two buttons are in similar position like on old nano S, but we still don't know what the price will be for this new device.

legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1330
Slava Ukraini!
December 15, 2021, 04:07:08 PM
Your behavior doesn't fit in with the Ledger marketing strategies. Your device must be destroyed and you have to buy a new Nano S+.  Smiley 

But seriously, what will you do if one day the manufacturer stops releasing updates for your nano S? Are you going to risk using this hardware wallet for your savings or do you decide to buy a new one? It seems to me that it is time for users to prepare an action plan for such cases. 
Yeah, I'm bad customer :/. I also don't change my phone every year when new model is released
That's good question. If Ledger will stop supporting Nano S, you still will be able to use. Same like you still can access funds on other obsolette Ledger wallets. But probably I just will get new hardware wallet and I'm not sure that it will be Ledger. Any way, I expect that Ledger will support Nano S for few years at least.
legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6205
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
December 15, 2021, 09:13:49 AM

I plan to do so, unless some important vulnerability is found.
And afterwards I will order a new HW or will just use a Tails stick as cold storage/offline signer if I don't get a good deal.

I think that the proper prep is to just make sure the seed is safe and it's the right one (for the expected addresses).
legendary
December 15, 2021, 09:10:34 AM
If Nano S support ended on Monday, that doesn't make the hardware wallets that so many of us have vulnerable from Tuesday. They can still be used just fine. You can always follow what is going on with the development, discovered bugs, and new vulnerabilities with their newer devices and make up your mind when it's time to find an alternative. Maybe a Trezor, a Coldcard, or maybe a Bitbox. I have never given any serious thoughts to an alternative HW because so far I didn't need to. 
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 5637
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
December 15, 2021, 07:57:50 AM

I was thinking about it a few years ago so I decided it wouldn’t be bad to have a spare HW, then the Nano X with a 35% discount seemed like a good solution. Despite all the problems with the new devices, I have no objections to how the devices work - but given Ledger's very amateurish behavior with user data and the reactions after that, I wouldn't buy any HW from them anymore - as far as I'm concerned their reputation was ruined without the possibility of repair.

Fortunately, they are not the only company producing such devices - and as a last resort (and the safest) anyone can make airgapped devices and keep their private keys without trusting any company.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1296
keep walking, Johnnie
December 15, 2021, 05:45:20 AM
I doubt that price is going to close to €60. I predict it will cost €90-€100.
Haven't bought Nano X, not planning to buy Nano S Plus. Bluetooth - only place where I connect my Ledger is PC, so Bluetooth isn't needed for me. Pay more just to have, I think it's not worth.
Same memory as on Nano X is good thing. But now I don't significant reasons why people would buy Nano X instead of Nano Plus S. Battery - I doubt it's significant reason.
For me who keep just BTC in general, Nano S with it's tiny memory is enough.

Your behavior doesn't fit in with the Ledger marketing strategies. Your device must be destroyed and you have to buy a new Nano S+.  Smiley 

legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1330
Slava Ukraini!
December 14, 2021, 04:40:18 PM
I doubt that price is going to close to €60. I predict it will cost €90-€100.
Haven't bought Nano X, not planning to buy Nano S Plus. Bluetooth - only place where I connect my Ledger is PC, so Bluetooth isn't needed for me. Pay more just to have, I think it's not worth.
Same memory as on Nano X is good thing. But now I don't significant reasons why people would buy Nano X instead of Nano Plus S. Battery - I doubt it's significant reason.
For me who keep just BTC in general, Nano S with it's tiny memory is enough.

This is their business model, similar like smartphones are doing, make old devices obsolete, stop updating and release new more expensive devices Smiley

Well, now it's general trend in business. Even things like fridge is now isn't made to work forever. Otherwise nobody wouldn't buy new ones. It's not something what I like, but it's difficult to blame them.
legendary
Cashback 15%
December 12, 2021, 10:30:03 AM
The screenshot looks like it's similar to the Nano X screen.
It's lame if they actually showed image from Nano X with Nano S plus label, and that battery icon is what got me confused in the first place.

They have already released information about the secure element in one of their blog posts that highlighted everything that happened on the Ledger OP3N conference they just held. There is a link to the article in my previous post. For better visibility, let me quote the part where they mention the secure element
Hmm that is interesting information I missed, and I didn't expect they would change secure element, but it's from the same French manufacturer ST.
I will have to add that info in my topic for Secure Element tracking, what I noticed is that this new chip has 1.5 Mbytes of User Flash memory (Nano X has up to 2 Mbytes), and 64 Kbytes of User RAM (Nano X has 50 Kbytes of User RAM).
I can't find the exact price but it's possible that this chip is a bit cheaper than model ST33J2M0.

Code:
Arm® Cortex®-M35P 32-bit RISC core cadenced at 70 MHz
Operating temperature range: −30°C to 85 °C
2 Kbytes of cache memory
Up to 1.5 Mbytes of User Flash memory
64 Kbytes of User RAM
https://www.st.com/en/secure-mcus/st33k1m5c.html#overview
legendary
December 12, 2021, 04:42:24 AM
There is no information about that yet, but I suspect they will probably use the same secure element like in their current devices, that is ST31H320 or ST33J2M0.
They have already released information about the secure element in one of their blog posts that highlighted everything that happened on the Ledger OP3N conference they just held. There is a link to the article in my previous post. For better visibility, let me quote the part where they mention the secure element:

The Nano S Plus will be equipped with the industry-leading security element: ST33K1M5C...
https://www.ledger.com/blog/ledger-op3n-conference-product-launches-updates-our-next-milestones
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 2852
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
December 11, 2021, 07:59:27 PM
They just used a display picture from Nano X for this presentation - miracle of photoshop ;).
The screenshot looks like it's similar to the Nano X screen.
In my opinion, the features of the Nano S plus are still below the Nano X with a different target market.

Not all users like hardware wallets that come with batteries.

https://shop.ledger.com/pages/ledger-nano-x

legendary
keep walking, Johnnie
December 11, 2021, 03:04:00 PM
That would be totally pointless without Bluetooth or a microSD card reader and re-designed software. They have already denied this guess on Twitter.
I saw they posted this on twitter but on image and videos they posted you can clearly see a battery symbol in upper right corner of the screen, so I don't know what's the purpose of that.

They just used a display picture from Nano X for this presentation - miracle of photoshop Wink.

Anything known about what security elements will be used?
There is no information about that yet, but I suspect they will probably use the same secure element like in their current devices, that is ST31H320 or ST33J2M0.
We don't know device dimensions yet but they will use some stuff from old devices for sure, to reduce production cost.

This model is used by almost all companies nowadays. The business wants to receive an endless stream of customer money. That's interesting to me. If the Ledger stops supporting Nano S, how will the users react? As far as I can subjectively judge, Ledger may have sold millions of devices. Discontinued support can create a crowd of disgruntled users for a company. Ledger has not had a deficit of dissatisfaction in its address lately  Wink. Wouldn't that create an excess of discontent?

legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 7410
Crypto Swap Exchange
December 11, 2021, 05:59:00 AM
Looks interesting, but due to past Ledger behavior i would wait until it's released and went through security audit.

- Bigger memory to support more coins and apps.
They've just mentioned a few minutes ago that "it'll have about the same storage as the Nano X", so it's slightly less than 1.8 Mb and despite really hating how they've been dealing with certain issues, a part of me wants to get one of these when it comes out [assuming that it'd come with a reasonable price tag].

It's big improvement from Nano S which only have 144 KB storage. But since some coin application size keeps growing, i wonder how long until 1.8 MB only enough for very few coin.
legendary
Cashback 15%
December 11, 2021, 09:51:10 AM
That would be totally pointless without Bluetooth or a microSD card reader and re-designed software. They have already denied this guess on Twitter.
I saw they posted this on twitter but on image and videos they posted you can clearly see a battery symbol in upper right corner of the screen, so I don't know what's the purpose of that.

We don't know device dimensions yet but they will use some stuff from old devices for sure, to reduce production cost.

It's big improvement from Nano S which only have 144 KB storage. But since some coin application size keeps growing, i wonder how long until 1.8 MB only enough for very few coin.
This is their business model, similar like smartphones are doing, make old devices obsolete, stop updating and release new more expensive devices Smiley
legendary
December 11, 2021, 05:30:49 AM
Yes, they mentioned that as well here. It should be equipped with the ST33K1M5C secure element. According to this thread of Secure Elements in Hardware Wallets, Ledger used ST31H320 and ST33J2M0 in their other hardware wallets (Nano S and Nano X). From what I can see on that list, no other hardware wallet currently uses this particular model.
legendary
keep walking, Johnnie
December 10, 2021, 01:21:34 PM

Will it be the same Nano S with increased memory, or will the stuffing come from model X?

Idea for those trying to guess the price:
- Create a topic with rates and whoever guesses the price of a new S+ most accurately takes the bank.  Wink
Pages:
Jump to: