Pages:
Author

Topic: Ledger Nano S screen problem - page 2. (Read 649 times)

legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 5637
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
March 26, 2019, 07:13:50 AM
Adriano2010, you have few options to solve your problem. I see you contacted Ledger support, and you should wait few days to get their answer. If that does not happen I advise you to post on their Reddit, some of their staff is active there, and also maybe someone else had a similar problem.

Second option would be to buy some bricked / broken Nano S with the correct screen, and to find someone who will make a replacement. Given the risk and cost of the whole procedure it may be better to buy a new device.

This brings us to the third option, buying new device. If you buy Nano S again there is a risk that an identical problem will occur to you (unlikely). If you want to wait Nano X price drop, this will not happen before the Black Friday (maybe not even then). You should also consider to buy some other hardware wallet, maybe Trezor would not be a bad choice.
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 3817
🪸 NotYourKeys.org 🪸
March 25, 2019, 11:20:59 PM
Thanks for replying guys, if i have to buy a new one then i think is better to wait for ledger nano X to drop the price as is now 134$. And if i will buy ledger nano S then i will use new device without replacing another one. At least ledger should check before sell this and put better parts for device cost over 100$.
Just a tip. Don't expect the Ledger Nano X to drop in price anytime soon. It's just been released 2 months ago. If I remember correctly, the Ledger Nano S just dropped in price a few months before they released the new Nano X. It will definitely take a while for them to release a newer product.
Activity: 1414
Merit: 516
March 25, 2019, 02:15:39 PM
Thanks for replying guys, if i have to buy a new one then i think is better to wait for ledger nano X to drop the price as is now 134$. And if i will buy ledger nano S then i will use new device without replacing another one. At least ledger should check before sell this and put better parts for device cost over 100$.
Activity: 374
Merit: 53
Telegram @keychainX
March 25, 2019, 05:54:50 AM
@keychainX
It doesn't really make much sense to purchase a brand new Ledger device and remove parts from it and place them on the old device. If he bought a new one he can just use that new one now and forget about the malfunctioning one.

My point was a reply to his first question, as nobody seemed to answer it, yes, its possible to exchange the display. Nothing more, nothing less. (with some hints where he can do this, and where he cannot, i.e. Ledger HQ)

/KX
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
March 25, 2019, 05:43:52 AM
@keychainX
It doesn't really make much sense to purchase a brand new Ledger device and remove parts from it and place them on the old device. If he bought a new one he can just use that new one now and forget about the malfunctioning one.
Activity: 374
Merit: 53
Telegram @keychainX
March 25, 2019, 05:01:11 AM
Hi. I have a ledger nano s and i have a problem with screen. I can't see all full characters when sign a message. I think i not connected it more than 200 times from the time i get. Here is a photo with

Can the screen be replaced some how? The new ledger nano x have same problem after time?

You can purchase another Ledger (same model), then its very easy to change the LCD display. We have done this several times, even exchanging buttons, LCD or other parts. Unfortunately Ledger doesnt exchange parts, they will only send you a new Ledger if its still under warranty.

If you are unsure how to do it, You can simply bring the two (your broken and the replacement Ledger) and ask a mobile repair to switch it for you.

Good Luck,
/KX
Activity: 896
Merit: 527
₿₿₿₿₿₿₿
March 25, 2019, 04:02:43 AM
Just wanted to drop by to advise you NOT to get it repaired if it's not by the official customer support, even if you take all the crypto out of it before you do it, for the same reason you should have checked the box was sealed when you received it.

If you do, there is absolutely no way for anyone to guarantee they will not tamper with your device before returning it to you. Almost all the hardware wallets may have security problems when the attacker is physically able to access them.
March 24, 2019, 05:45:07 PM
I reset the ledger but still same problem, the problem is no more in warranty, it expired one month ago. Can i buy somewhere this kind of screen and replace on some local service?
Have you actually tried contacting Ledger and asking them about it and the possibility of getting a free replacement if you cover shipping? Huh

Some companies (that provide decent customer service and try to maintain a good reputation) will still honour warranties if they have only just expired and it has only been a month or so.

I contact them but no reply, and i think you may know that their support is available from Monday to Friday only.
HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4314
March 24, 2019, 05:15:40 PM
I reset the ledger but still same problem, the problem is no more in warranty, it expired one month ago. Can i buy somewhere this kind of screen and replace on some local service?
Have you actually tried contacting Ledger and asking them about it and the possibility of getting a free replacement if you cover shipping? Huh

Some companies (that provide decent customer service and try to maintain a good reputation) will still honour warranties if they have only just expired and it has only been a month or so.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
March 23, 2019, 06:18:12 PM
also otg-kit, USB-mini to usb mini, USB to usb mini and usb to usb-C cable
Slightly off topic, but for anyone else thinking of buying - Ledger devices will work just fine with any USB cable. You don't have to buy the official Ledger OTG cable pack. Any old USB cable of the right size that you have lying around or came with your phone will work, or if not, you can pick up the cable you need for a couple of bucks at most at an electronics store or on Amazon. You certainly don't need to be paying 15 bucks.
March 23, 2019, 12:49:38 PM
When i bought last year this was the price, i bought 2, one for me and one for my brother and also otg-kit, USB-mini to usb mini, USB to usb mini and usb to usb-C cable

I will see if i can fix it and i will wait until screen die at all, and maybe i will buy 1 ledger nano X after price drop in future.
mk4
legendary
🪸 NotYourKeys.org 🪸
March 23, 2019, 09:12:01 AM
He has probably had it for some time and purchased it several months or years ago before the Nano X came out. He says he has used it less than 200 times but maybe more than 100 times which means he has already had it for a long time.

That makes sense. Anyway, at least OP can spend 30% less money now for re-buying the same device(unless OP is planning on getting the Nano X instead).
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
March 23, 2019, 08:28:30 AM
Also, how did the price reach $100 without shipping for you? After Ledger released the Nano X, they dropped the Nano S to about $69.
I think i not connected it more than 200 times from the time i get.
He has probably had it for some time and purchased it several months or years ago before the Nano X came out. He says he has used it less than 200 times but maybe more than 100 times which means he has already had it for a long time.
mk4
legendary
🪸 NotYourKeys.org 🪸
March 23, 2019, 02:44:17 AM
No. I never take ledger nano s with me, it always stay at home in inside the box after i use it, not so much time i use it, this is very weird. It cost me over 100$ when i buy without shipping cost.

Unfortunately, this is just either because you received an old stock, or a somewhat defective device that for some reason snooped though their quality control procedure. I'm afraid you have no choice but to buy another one.

Also, how did the price reach $100 without shipping for you? After Ledger released the Nano X, they dropped the Nano S to about $69.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
March 22, 2019, 09:43:37 PM
Is there any software where i can see what is on screen of ledger nano s?
Not that I know of, and if there were, it would defeat the purpose of the Ledger Nano.

When you try to make a payment using the Nano, the receiving address and amount is displayed on the Nano's screen, and you have to manually confirm before the transaction is sent. This is to prevent attacks where the amount of bitcoin or bitcoin address is changed after you enter them. If you used software on the same infected device to replicate the Nano's screen, then the data displayed could also be altered.

It's highly unlikely you'll find anyone selling a replacement screen. Your best bet is probably to email Ledger directly or try to repair it as outlined above. More than likely though, you'll just need to purchase a new device.
March 22, 2019, 09:32:24 PM
While it's going to be very very unlikely for someone to gain access to your funds, I still would heavily suggest against having it repaired. Unfortunately since the warranty is out, the only decent choice you have is to simply buy another one.

Have you had it on your pocket once or something similar that could possibly break the screen? I've had my Nano S for like 2 years already without any problems at all.

No. I never take ledger nano s with me, it always stay at home in inside the box after i use it, not so much time i use it, this is very weird. It cost me over 100$ when i buy without shipping cost.

BitMaxz i'm not so good at repairing this kind of  devices.

Is there any software where i can see what is on screen of ledger nano s?
mk4
legendary
🪸 NotYourKeys.org 🪸
March 22, 2019, 09:20:56 PM
While it's going to be very very unlikely for someone to gain access to your funds, I still would heavily suggest against having it repaired. Unfortunately since the warranty is out, the only decent choice you have is to simply buy another one.

Have you had it on your pocket once or something similar that could possibly break the screen? I've had my Nano S for like 2 years already without any problems at all.
legendary
Merit: 2943
Block halving is coming.
March 22, 2019, 08:59:50 PM
That would be a problem I can't find any site where to buy ledger nano LCD replacement.

Can you try to disassemble your ledger nano s? Because I think you can repair the LCD by cleaning(Don't forget to clean the flex terminal with eraser or rubber) you can use lacquer flo to clean the terminals or maybe the flex connection from LCD to board is not connected properly so try to reattach the LCD flex from the board or try to resolder the LCD terminal from the board and let's see if it solve your issue.

If you don't know how to disassemble this device you can follow this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=388OaC_mClc

If still don't work there is no way to fix this instead replace the screen but the problem no one is selling. Try to find someone who selling defective ledger nano with working screen here on the forum. This might be the right section Computer hardware
March 22, 2019, 08:12:01 PM
legendary
Merit: 2943
Block halving is coming.
March 22, 2019, 07:49:13 PM
Do you have a backup of your ledger nano s wallet? If yes then try to hardware reset first and import your backup again and let's see if it fixes your issue.

You can follow the guide from here Ledger Nano S — Reset a device video

If this won't work maybe your Ledger LCD is going to be defective if it still under warranty I think you can send them back to the manufacturer.
Pages:
Jump to: